banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Guitar Rig would you prefer? (rack vs pedalboard)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Guitar Rig would you prefer? (rack vs pedalboard)

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Can you tell me about your graphic EQ use? do you us it to notch out specific modal frequency buildup for the venue you play? or tone shaping or both?
    It's been all about tone shaping. The picture doesn't show anything, because that was taken right after I had put it together. I've been experimenting with using the two EQs, one before, the other after the distortion. Some of the frequencies I've boosted before the distortion and cut after the distortion to bring out the harmonics. So far it's been mostly between 250hz and 1k, though that is a work in progress. I'll have to add a third EQ for clean. That's not there yet. That's with an Epiphone Les Paul with the bridge and neck pickup mixed together.

Previously, I was only using pre-EQ for both distortion and clean. For distortion, I was cutting frequencies between 100 and 1k. For clean I was cutting between 250 and 1k. Above and below those frequencies, it's been mostly unity gain or I've been boosting those frequencies. That was with a Peavey Riptide, a telecaster style guitar mostly using both the neck and bridge pickups together.

Comment

For reference:

Comment

I would suggest the following: go for a rack if it, in your situation, is simpler than a pedalboard. I have a 4U rack rig (pre-amp, G-System, power amp) that can give pretty much any pedalboard a run for its money, and still not weigh significantly more than an amp head. It still needs the dedicated board, so it is not that much lighter, but to me there are fewer headaches this way. I have still hidden a couple of pedals within the rig, but I'd be happy to be rid of them once an equally practical unit can do them well.

In general, if you like stereo or w/d(/w) rigs, that is a serious argument in favour of a rack rig. Pedalboards and heads/combos are rarely good solutions for that. The same goes for if you need controllable effects in the loop, since you can reduce the cable clutter across the stage significantly by going rack.

Comment

I think a key point is keep the analog signal cables short. If you spread your rig between a pedalboard, amp and rack, that can get complicated. There are a lot of interesting pedalboard amps to use these days. Doing everything on the pedalboard is pretty doable. On the other hand, you can also skip the amp altogether and use DI solutions. The SansAmp comes to mind. There are plenty of other options.
          Last edited by rbc; 04-22-2020, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Man, this rack stuff is hefty. Even the much more scaled down version below tips the scales around 75lbs.

(Removed the tuner, wah, wireless, one preamp, combined the processor/switcher, got rid of the second switcher and drawer, downsized to the 20W EL84 amp...)

It still seems super versatile and a lot of fun...

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by rbc View Post
              I think a key point is keep the analog signal cables short. If you spread your rig between a pedalboard, amp and rack, that can get complicated. There are a lot of interesting pedalboard amps to use these days. Doing everything on the pedalboard is pretty doable. On the other hand, you can also skip the amp altogether and use DI solutions. The SansAmp comes to mind. There are plenty of other options.
              It is interesting that you put this in this manner, and it gives me the opportunity to vent about one of my pet peeves on the subject If one wants to limit analog signal cables, both in length and number, rack units will always beat pedalboards, virtually no matter what. It has other disadvantages, but there is just no way one can argue that pedalboards reduce the amount of signal cabling required. The exception is, as you say, if one goes for a pedalboard amp, but this comes with a number of compromises of its own. As far as a rig using a conventional amp, rack gear will always beat pedals in this field, and knock them out in the first round if you want effects both in front of the amp and in the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                Man, this rack stuff is hefty. Even the much more scaled down version below tips the scales around 75lbs.

(Removed the tuner, wah, wireless, one preamp, combined the processor/switcher, got rid of the second switcher and drawer, downsized to the 20W EL84 amp...)

This looks like a very sensible rig to me. If you should ever want to make it stereo, you only need another cab and you'll be good to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                  This looks like a very sensible rig to me. If you should ever want to make it stereo, you only need another cab and you'll be good to go!
                  The 2x12 can be wired stereo as well. Could do a half back with different speakers on either side for a tonal blend as well.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Dump the tube power amp for an SS and that should get rid of some weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                      If one wants to limit analog signal cables, both in length and number, rack units will always beat pedalboards, virtually no matter what. It has other disadvantages, but there is just no way one can argue that pedalboards reduce the amount of signal cabling required. The exception is, as you say, if one goes for a pedalboard amp, but this comes with a number of compromises of its own. As far as a rig using a conventional amp, rack gear will always beat pedals in this field, and knock them out in the first round if you want effects both in front of the amp and in the loop.
                      I agree. I'll add that I'm definitely leaning toward DI with some kind of amp simulation. I like analog, largely because I know how to repair it and you don't have to worry about latency. On the other hand, when there are a bunch of patches with a lot of effects, digital starts to look really good. My only hang with digital is the number of round trips between the analog and digital domains. I prefer as few as possible. When I go digital, I prefer to stay there until it's time to come back out of a speaker.

Comment

In a live situation, I don't think subtle tonal variation is noticeable enough to warrant more than a couple of pedals. I'll plop my three or four down right on the floor, no board needed.

Comment

Any negative to running a TriAxis or JMP-1 into the effects return or another amp to try it out?
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Any negative to running a TriAxis or JMP-1 into the effects return or another amp to try it out?
                            No negative, but in most head/combo the amp is tuned for the built-in preamp, it's not like a "neutral" rack power amp.
                            With a Tri-Axis/JMP-1 and a G-Major, why do you need a pedalboard? You just need a Midi pedalboard that can send PC and CC messages.
                            So a 4u rack should be enough, not heavier than a head and lighter than a head/pedalboard. Way easier to transport also. Depending of your your midi pedalboard, you can put it in the back of the rack for transport.

Comment

Many people used to do that, so I doubt there are any issues with it at all.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                Many people used to do that, so I doubt there are any issues with it at all.
                                Yeah, I’m just wondering if there are any potential impedance or level issues that might arise, not wondering if it will function.
                                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X