PRS MT15 vs Dual Rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS MT15 vs Dual Rectifier

I've talked about the PRS MT15 amp here before, it's the signature amp from Mark Tremonti. I'm sure most of you here are familiar with this little amp because it's quite popular. It's 15 watts and it's affordable but it sounds like a 50 watt amp and it can absolutely compete with amps that cost 6 times as much!

Mark Tremonti is known for using a bunch of amps on stage but the Mesa Rectifier (triples mostly) has been a constant in his rigs throughout the years. I have a Dual Rectifier and an MT15 so I thought it would be fun to compare the 2 for these reasons:

-Mark Tremonti uses both
    -The MT15 is 'only' 15 watts and the Recto 100 watts
    -The Rectifier costs much more

Here is the comparison:

I personally think both amps are really cool. The Rectifier is really huge but scooped sounding in comparison. That's why I think the MT15 is a little bit more versatile. The mid control has much more power on that amp so you can really make it 'cut' well by boosting the mids. You can't really make the Recto 'cut' more with the basic controls but it does 'sit' very nicely in the mix with that huge sound. I will say that I actually prefer my mini Rectifier over the Dual because it has more mids. Perhaps I'll make that comparison one day as well. Anyway, I'm curious about what you guys think!
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: PRS MT15 vs Dual Rectifier

If you want a versatile Recto, you want the Roadster or Road King. They're way more versatile, and wile capable of metal tones, they do so many other things really well, too.

Comment

If you want more mids from a rectifier you have to back-off the treble and boost the mids and presence.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
        If you want a versatile Recto, you want the Roadster or Road King. They're way more versatile, and wile capable of metal tones, they do so many other things really well, too.
        A Road King would be cool to have one day but I think for now I'm good when it comes to Recto tones. I also have a Mini Rectifier which I adore and I have enough other amps to get different kind of tones. Still, wouldn't mind having one in the future.... The amount of tubes though...

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Own a couple Boogies a MT 15 and PRS Archon.
          The cleans on these PRS amps are just killers. I don't know of any Boogie that has a better clean than most of these PRS amps do a couple that are close but none better.
          To my ear the unboosted tones across the board with the MT 15 are the better. Just a fullness and texture to them that is missing on the Boogie. In particular for the solo tones with the Rec in comparison being dry and a little lifeless. I have seen the same thing with mine and the Archon IMO has a bigger fuller and richer solo tone than the MT 15 does. The Boosted rhythm tones are both killing but prefer the mid character of the MT 15 here also as find the Rec a little dry and stiff to my ear in comparison. The Archon here is again IMO a better sounding amp than the MT 15 is. More open with a richness and clarity that both here lack.
          Both these amps sound great could work with ether but prefer the PRS. I own the MT 15 and the Archon for a reason so--.
          Right now on the Boogie side I own a little Subway Rocket combo and a DC 5 head BTW.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarjon View Post
            A Road King would be cool to have one day but I think for now I'm good when it comes to Recto tones. I also have a Mini Rectifier which I adore and I have enough other amps to get different kind of tones. Still, wouldn't mind having one in the future.... The amount of tubes though...
            Yeah, the tube count is kinda crazy.

Having the Lonestar cleans really helps a lot on those channels. As much as I say the Roadster would be enough, I do love being able to run the dirt channels through EL34s while the cleans are run through 6L6s. I've gone Kemper for band stuff just to cut down on stuff that I have to worry about or carry, but nothing sounds as good as a Mesa cranked

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
              Yeah, the tube count is kinda crazy.

Having the Lonestar cleans really helps a lot on those channels. As much as I say the Roadster would be enough, I do love being able to run the dirt channels through EL34s while the cleans are run through 6L6s. I've gone Kemper for band stuff just to cut down on stuff that I have to worry about or carry, but nothing sounds as good as a Mesa cranked
              Yes, the option to choose power tube types per channel does seem amazing! That's also why the H&K Triamp seems very interesting to me!

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Great quality sound on the video., Both amps sound so brutal on the high gain clips.

Comment

Killer demo, as always. I feel the MT15 doesn't really have the Recto vibe. The Recto has a certain softness to the attack that's very characteristic. The MT doesn't. It sounds way more modern and immediate. I hear a bit of Uberschall in it in that regard.

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                  If you want more mids from a rectifier you have to back-off the treble and boost the mids and presence.
                  Agreed. The secret to making a Recto less scooped is to keep the high knob low and counter that running the presence higher. The mid knob is kinda weird, though. I feel it's centered around a frequency which, rather than making the amp sound less scooped by boosting it, it just makes it weird and stuffy-sounding. So you have to be careful with that control. JMO.

That being said, though, >THE< Recto sound is scooped. If you don't want scooped, you're better off with another amp, TBH.
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-24-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                    Killer demo, as always. I feel the MT15 doesn't really have the Recto vibe. The Recto has a certain softness to the attack that's very characteristic. The MT doesn't. It sounds way more modern and immediate. I hear a bit of Uberschall in it in that regard.

Agreed. The secret to making a Recto less scooped is to keep the high knob low and counter that running the presence higher. The mid knob is kinda weird, though. I feel it's centered around a frequency which, rather than making the amp sound less scooped by boosting it, it just makes it weird and stuffy-sounding. So you have to be careful with that control. JMO.

That being said, though, >THE< Recto sound is scooped. If you don't want scooped, you're better off with another amp, TBH.
                    I pretty much agree with everything you said there. When I was doing my recent MEGA amp comparison with all 26 of my amps I felt like my MT15 sounded pretty close to my 6505. I think the eq on the MT15 is great and pretty powerful as you can go from super scooped to very honky
                    within the sweep.

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarjon View Post
                      I pretty much agree with everything you said there. When I was doing my recent MEGA amp comparison with all 26 of my amps I felt like my MT15 sounded pretty close to my 6505. I think the eq on the MT15 is great and pretty powerful as you can go from super scooped to very honky
                      within the sweep.
                      Agree with you that the base tones between the Archon/MT 15 and the 5150/6505 amps are similar. However the deciding factor for me on buying both the MT 15 and the Archon was the organic feel, touch sensitivity and dynamics these amps have. These PRS amps simply respond to touch, dynamics and guitar volume changes MUCH better than the 5150/6505 or any Mesa Boogie does. For some that may not be a major factor but for me it's essential. This plus the world class clean tones that these amps have puts them for me on a different level than most other amps.
                      You need to try a Archon as mine REALLY opens up and shines at volume in ways that are hard to describe with out hearing it. Wish you were close as would loan you mine for a test.
                      Last edited by Ascension; 04-24-2020, 12:08 PM.
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                      X