Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on tube types. Wing C SED EL34 to replace stock tubes

Hey guys, quick question.

I bought a used 5150 50w EL34 amp a while back and retubed it because the noise started cutting in and out after like 3 days. I replaced all tubes including the power tubes to EL34IIs. They are great. I wanted to get a backup pair of standard EL34 tubes just in case and I have a credit to my account with the tube store.

They show compatibility charts but only for the 100w amps, not the 50w. Will these tubes work on the 50w version?

Re: Question on tube types. Wing C SED EL34 to replace stock tubes

The only difference between the 50w and 100w is 2 power tubes vs. 4 power tubes.

If you like the JJ EL34IIs why not just stick with those?

Not the first time I've heard of someone getting a used amp with bad tubes.

Comment

They will work fine and Winged-C are desirable tubes. They will likely change the sound a bit, however.

Comment

Wow, $80 per tube, I've been out of the tube thing for a while.

Comment

SED =C= are okay but not the only game in town anymore & the prices these days are beyond ridiculas.

Get a pair of these , everything =C= are & more and affordable.

U have to wade thru the marketing bull**** and know fact from fiction.

Comment

I'd take a look at all that mesa has at their tube store now.
            They've recently shaken-up the lineup and on some amp models they've switched the stock tube choices.
            There is a winged-c type if you scroll down.
            I really like their str447. I think it's maybe an EH made. Sounds so intense in my series2 single rec.

mesa boogie parts, mesa boogie merchandise, mesa boogie accessories

Comment

I'll 2nd JMP/HBE's suggestion for the Tung Sols, those are some of the best tubes currently made, and $50 for a pair is a good deal. No way I'd pay $160 for a pair for anything unless they were NOS tubes.

I just looked up other choices at The Tube Store, those Winged C's are the most expensive thing they sell, why did you choose those? I'd go with the Mullards or the Tung Sols for a lot less $. Apparently their "compatibility" chart automagically points you to their most expensive offering. You can use any EL34 or 6CA7 they offer, the 6CA7s might work great in that amp.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                I'll 2nd JMP/HBE's suggestion for the Tung Sols, those are some of the best tubes currently made, and $50 for a pair is a good deal. No way I'd pay $160 for a pair for anything unless they were NOS tubes.

I just looked up other choices at The Tube Store, those Winged C's are the most expensive thing they sell, why did you choose those? I'd go with the Mullards or the Tung Sols for a lot less $. Apparently their "compatibility" chart automagically points you to their most expensive offering. You can use any EL34 or 6CA7 they offer, the 6CA7s might work great in that amp.
                The SED EL34's ARE NOS now, they are not made any more. That's why they cost so much.
                Al

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                  The SED EL34's ARE NOS now, they are not made any more. That's why they cost so much.
                  Al
                  Oh, like I said, been out of the tube game for a few years. But, no, I would still not spend that much on a Russian made tube when there are plenty of current made ones that are just as good. When I think NOS, I think of the old US/UK stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

Oh so I just chose them because when I went to the el34 evh 100s selection, it showed 3 sets, and the highest quality option out of the 3 was the wing c and I have 100.00 credit with them. To be honest, I may even just opt to get the ones that come stock in the amp and save the $$ for a later date. I think that'd be JJ el34Ls right?

If this helps (since I wasn't able to really use the original tubes cuz they were dead),

I am looking to just get the early VH tone out of this amp. Literally the only thing I'm aiming for. So maybe whatever tube would help achieve that, I'm sure it honestly doesn't even matter that much, at least to my untrained ear.
                    Last edited by chillytouch; 04-23-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                      Al
                      Alot of SED =C= people try to sell now were "factory seconds" [rejects] that they try to pass off as the real deal.

Not so.

Comment

Originally posted by chillytouch View Post
                        Oh so I just chose them because when I went to the el34 evh 100s selection, it showed 3 sets, and the highest quality option out of the 3 was the wing c and I have 100.00 credit with them. To be honest, I may even just opt to get the ones that come stock in the amp and save the $$ for a later date. I think that'd be JJ el34Ls right?

If this helps (since I wasn't able to really use the original tubes cuz they were dead),

I am looking to just get the early VH tone out of this amp. Literally the only thing I'm aiming for. So maybe whatever tube would help achieve that, I'm sure it honestly doesn't even matter that much, at least to my untrained ear.
                        $100 credit will get you a set of the JJ, Tung Sol, or Mullard power tubes and some different 12AX7s to try, definitely a better deal. Don't know what those ship with though, sorry.

Comment

For what it's worth, I like the EHX 6CA7's a lot better than the JJ E34L set I had in my JCM800 clone. I find them to have a bigger, punchier, more open sound. If I understand it right, the different tube model designation is just the difference between a American versus European, just as 12AX7s and ECC83s are interchangeable, so don't let the different number scare you.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                            For what it's worth, I like the EHX 6CA7's a lot better than the JJ E34L set I had in my JCM800 clone. I find them to have a bigger, punchier, more open sound. If I understand it right, the different tube model designation is just the difference between a American versus European, just as 12AX7s and ECC83s are interchangeable, so don't let the different number scare you.
                            https://www.thetubestore.com/electro...nix-eh6ca7-hpc

The EH 6CA7 is a Tetrode,

Not a true Pentode like an EL-34.

Again with tubes gotta watch the marketing crap like anything else.
                            Last edited by JMP/HBE; 04-24-2020, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Question on tube types. Wing C SED EL34 to replace stock tubes

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                              https://www.thetubestore.com/electro...nix-eh6ca7-hpc

The EH 6CA7 is a Tetrode,

Not a true Pentode like an EL-34.

Again with tubes gotta watch the marketing crap like anything else.
                              Interestingly, the JJ version of the 6CA7 is stated to be a Beam Pentode. Either way, according to the EH and JJ spec sheets, they are equivalent replacements for most amps using octal based pentode power tubes. While the ideal operating values differ slightly, the operating ranges allow them to work effectively as replacements for each other, with bias changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X