Question on tube types. Wing C SED EL34 to replace stock tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question on tube types. Wing C SED EL34 to replace stock tubes

After some quick googlin' apparently the EH is a tetrode, but that is only an issue in amps like old Traynors that have a negative bias on pin 1 instead of tying it to ground. Marshalls have pin 1 tied to ground so they would work fine.

Comment

the original Winged C's were great and very economical, not sure at $80/tube I'd get them
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Interestingly, the JJ version of the 6CA7 is stated to be a Beam Pentode. Either way, according to the EH and JJ spec sheets, they are equivalent replacements for most amps using octal based pentode power tubes. While the ideal operating values differ slightly, the operating ranges allow them to work effectively as replacements for each other, with bias changes.
        I can call myself the "Secretary of Defense" too but that does'nt mean its so. I wouldn't believe a word coming out of Slovak cuz JJ tubes ive dealt with are crap and ive actually been told JJ pays their Eastern Block employees with Vodka & bags of rice. Believe it or not Ripley.

As for tubes the correct terminology is "Beam Tetrode" & "Power Pentode".

They just made up "beam pentode" off the top of their head again [for the 3rd time in this single thread] its all MARKETING.

JJ makes like 4 different EL-34 variants proof positive if they really made a top notch EL-34 they would need just one version.

Again [for the 5th time] MARKETING.

Personally i like power tubes that don't blow HT fuses ... call me old fashioned.
        Last edited by JMP/HBE; 04-24-2020, 07:30 PM.

Comment

I use the EH 6CA7s in my plexi. (NOS Valvo-labelled Mullards in V1, V2 & a NOS Mullard CV4004 in PI).

I agree with misterwhizzy on the EH 6CA7 tone.

I did also try a pair of the new Tung-Sol (nothing to do with the originals, like most of the re-labeled brands) EL34s; they were okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
            the original Winged C's were great and very economical, not sure at $80/tube I'd get them
            Aren't these the same? Much cheaper and machine tested (I assume).

The official Mesa Boogie online store for factory replacement parts, custom parts, hardware, shirts, hats and accessories.

Comment

Generally not a fan of JJ tubes purely from a tonal standpoint... too muddy in the plexi circuit (or my UA 2-610).

Might be fine for modern amp circuits, though.

Comment

I'll stick with the Blackburn Mullard XF2's in old Marshalls, thats what they're made for.

With NIB/NOS quad they will outlast you.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                    I can call myself the "Secretary of Defense" too but that does'nt mean its so. I wouldn't believe a word coming out of Slovak cuz JJ tubes ive dealt with are crap and ive actually been told JJ pays their Eastern Block employees with Vodka & bags of rice. Believe it or not Ripley.

As for tubes the correct terminology is "Beam Tetrode & "Power Pentode".

They just made up "beam pentode" off the top of their head again [for the 3rd time in this single thread] its all MARKETING.

JJ makes like 4 different EL-34 variants proof positive if the really made a top notch EL-34 they would need just one version.

Again [for the 5th time] MARKETING.

Personally i like power tubes that don't blow HT fuses ... call me old fashioned.
                    Calm down. The name was just a passing comment. I’m mainly looking at the spec sheet used to design circuits. That isn’t marketing. For a pentode where the suppressor isn’t wired to the cathode, there shouldn’t be significant changes needed to interchange with a beam tetrode. Pin out is the same, just values vary slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                      After some quick googlin' apparently the EH is a tetrode, but that is only an issue in amps like old Traynors that have a negative bias on pin 1 instead of tying it to ground. Marshalls have pin 1 tied to ground so they would work fine.
                      That’s interesting because my Traynor YBA-1 came stock with 6CA7s, even shows on the factory schematic glued into the top.

Comment

That’s interesting because my Traynor YBA-1 came stock with 6CA7s, even shows on the factory schematic glued into the top.
                        To the best of my understanding 6CA7s are pentodes just like EL34s, the exception here is apparently the EH branded ones which are apparently tetrodes. I don't have a dog in this fight and have used 6CA7s in Marshalls in the past, may have been EHs, I honestly don't remember. To be safe, I would probably not use EHs in your Traynor.

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                        Aren't these the same? Much cheaper and machine tested (I assume).

https://store.mesaboogie.com/product...ched-pair.html
                        The OP apparently has credit at The Tube Store, not the Mesa store. FWIW, I still wouldn't pay $100 for the set when there are tubes that are just as good (IMHO) for 1/2 the price.

Comment

Calm down. The name was just a passing comment. I’m mainly looking at the spec sheet used to design circuits. That isn’t marketing. For a pentode where the suppressor isn’t wired to the cathode, there shouldn’t be significant changes needed to interchange with a beam tetrode. Pin out is the same, just values vary slightly.
                          lol im calm just don't like going for a ride on the JJ merry go round. I got 15 years of this "JJ tubes are great" stuff and quite the contrary. Is pin out important ? You bet your bippy. But getting the pin out correct doesn't necessarily make a great tube but it may keep your amp off the bench.
                          Last edited by JMP/HBE; 04-25-2020, 04:50 AM.

Comment

I didn't mean to cause any arguments haha.

So I ended up getting the wing C. I only got to play for like 10 minutes though but they sounded great from what i could hear. I think I like them better than the el34ii.

One thing I noticed though, usually when I play my evh amp, the master vol stays on like 1-2. Today after I changed the tubes I hooked it up to a boss waza tube expander and turned the volume up to about 4-5. Sounded good but I did notice a little smell from the amp when I put my face closer to it. Is that normal? Was sorta like mild burning smell. Not sure if its because of the new tubes, or because I've never put the volume higher than 1-2. No smoke or anything like that.

Comment

If the tubes were NOS and were dirty or had oil on them from handling, that could burn off if heated up for the first time in years. Do you have to put your nose right up to where the tubes are to detect it? Or do you smell it standing feet away while playing? (If it’s the latter there might be a different, more serious issue.)

Comment

Originally posted by chillytouch View Post
                                I didn't mean to cause any arguments haha.

So I ended up getting the wing C. I only got to play for like 10 minutes though but they sounded great from what i could hear. I think I like them better than the el34ii.

One thing I noticed though, usually when I play my evh amp, the master vol stays on like 1-2. Today after I changed the tubes I hooked it up to a boss waza tube expander and turned the volume up to about 4-5. Sounded good but I did notice a little smell from the amp when I put my face closer to it. Is that normal? Was sorta like mild burning smell. Not sure if its because of the new tubes, or because I've never put the volume higher than 1-2. No smoke or anything like that.

No not normal Did you bias your amp when installing the new tubes ? Do you know what an amp bias is ? I kinda doubt it cuz until yesterday u dint even know what a =C= was/

Nothing should be "burning" in a tube amp.

Were your power tubes glowing like orange fireballs ?

Last edited by JMP/HBE; 04-25-2020, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X