Do I need an upgraded soundcard? Katana mk2 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need an upgraded soundcard? Katana mk2 100

Hey guys, I have a Katana mk2 100 that I plug straight into my computer (PC) via USB. I am very new to recording, and I use Audacity as my DAW. I've noticed that the sound through my headphones sounds different than playing the amp through the speaker, and I don't know why. Is it the katana, being a budget amp? Is it audacity that does not process the sound like the katana is trying to? Or is it that I need an upgraded sound card? And if so what kind do I get? I know this really isn't amp related but anything helps!

Re: Do I need an upgraded soundcard? Katana mk2 100

I mean my headphones are pretty good. The different sound is that it lacks note definition and sounds much more thin, and I know my headphones are not the issue

Comment

Is there anyway to check the sample rate of Audacity? Maybe it's set too low, but I'm just guessing.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I really have no idea of the magnitude of the difference you are noticing, but since you say you're new to recording, I will warn you: Your guitar will never sound exactly the same recorded as it does coming out of the amp that's right in the room with you.

Regardless of how good they are, the speakers in your headphones are different than the one in the amp--they're going to sound different. Plus, when you're listening through the headphones, you have sound coming from two speakers pushed right up against your ears, whereas when you're listening to the amp in the room, you have sound coming from one speaker, and a lot of it is bouncing around the room before it gets to your ears. There are other contributing factors too. For instance, when you have the amp cranked up in the room with you, you can feel it as well as hear it, but when you're listening back to it on headphones, you don't get the added excitement of it thumping your chest, and it can sound disappointing.

I've never played through a Katana, much less used its USB recording interface, but I doubt the quality of that is the problem. It's a modeling amp, yeah? So the signal that you normally hear coming out of your amp has already been digitized to be processed by the modeling algorithm, and that's now being sent to your computer instead of to the amp's DAC and power section. Sure, that's another thing that'll make the recorded tone sound different. However, what usually makes an audio interface sound bad is crappy preamps or lousy converters, but with an amp like the Katana, I don't think there's anything in your recording signal chain that isn't in your just-playing-normally-through-the-amp signal chain. If the preamp or the converters sounded bad, you'd know already.

Comment

Are you just using the sound card built into the computer? You might be better off setting the Katana up as the audio out in Audacity, if it will let you, and plug your headphones into that. Basically use the Katana as the sound card if it will let you.

For serious recording, you'll want to look into getting a recording interface, the good news is that you can pick up basic used USB interfaces for really cheap just to get started. Even just running your headphones off that should be better than directly from the sound card. And, as mentioned, it never sounds the same through headphones as through speakers.

*EDIT* Nevermind, looked up the manual, doesn't look like you can use the Katana for you audio out.
          Last edited by devastone; 04-23-2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

You can use the Katana for your audio out, I use mine every day, the only problem with it is that they output in mono. But it records just fine. So what I do is just make sure the backing track is loud enough I can hear it good, record my tracks, then unplug the Katana and mix using the onboard soundcard so I can hear it back in stereo. My tracks sound fantastic btw, so I'm not sure what OP's issue might be.mine is a mkI fwiw

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by d2718 View Post
              I really have no idea of the magnitude of the difference you are noticing, but since you say you're new to recording.
              It seems like the issues are mostly with wearing headphones, so I hooked up a small TV to my computer and used that as a speaker. It definitely sounds better, not exact like you said but better than my headphones. They are noise cancelling and I guess alter the sound of the signal. My recording just also just for instagram and sometimes youtube, and I don't think anyone is gonna be on instagram with a high quality headset. I'm not doing anything crazy just trying to get myself out there, and I actually bought the katana because even this setup is better than trying to record via the iphone mic lol. Thanks for the input

Comment

Originally posted by Dauminator View Post
                It seems like the issues are mostly with wearing headphones, so I hooked up a small TV to my computer and used that as a speaker. It definitely sounds better, not exact like you said but better than my headphones. They are noise cancelling and I guess alter the sound of the signal. My recording just also just for instagram and sometimes youtube, and I don't think anyone is gonna be on instagram with a high quality headset. I'm not doing anything crazy just trying to get myself out there, and I actually bought the katana because even this setup is better than trying to record via the iphone mic lol. Thanks for the input
                Yeah, just because your headphones are expensive or "nice" doesn't mean that they're flat or accurate. Most consumer gear (even the high-end stuff) is designed to make your music sound hyped and exciting, not to reproduce it as accurately as possible. I don't think I've ever seen a pair of headphones billed as both noise-cancelling and intended for studio or production use.

I am amused that you're using a TV as a studio monitor, though; that's the first time I've heard of anyone doing that.

For your stated purpose, the best thing would probably be to listen to both your and other Instagram guitarists played back through your phone. If your tone isn't any worse than theirs, then it's probably good enough.

Also, you said you're using Audacity as your DAW software. Allow me to make a plug for the latest Cakewalk. It was bought by BandLab, who released it as free, and in my opinion, the free version works (and looks!) better than any of the paid versions since Sonar 4. I think you have to install the BandLab app in order to download it, but then you can uninstall the app (unless that sort of thing interests you, I guess) and just keep using Cakewalk.

Comment

Sounds like even some cheap monitors (studio speakers) would be a good investment, preferably with an audio interface.

Something like this would be a significant step up it sounds like these - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...media-monitors

And maybe this - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface

Would be a significant step up, granted for a little more money there are much better monitors and interfaces.

Comment

I am always surprised at those guitar tones (that I spend hours on, and record really well) sound terrible over headphones. I worked on getting some decent monitors, and coming up with a system that doesn't rely on microphones and goes direct. I record with the studio monitors pretty loud, and it 'feels' much better to play. I *hate* tracking with headphones.
                    Even going in the studio, I track in the control room. No headphones.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. Glad to hear I'm not going crazy for not getting the rights sounds outta my headphones. I'd like a better recording setup but money is a little tight, especially right now, and I'm not trying all that hard to get & post that super awesome sound just yet, hell I've only mixed one track so far. If you wanna check it out on my insta (Daumcustomshop) I'm going to post it later today. Once I get in a groove and learn more about recording upgrades will definitely be on their way. Glad y'all were able to help me figure out the problem

Comment

Working...
                      X