banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PowerStage as Power Amp in Conventional Rack Rig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerStage as Power Amp in Conventional Rack Rig?

The rack vs. pedals thread got me thinking about one of my semi-permanent rack rigs, which consists of an ADA MP-1, a G-System and an early Marshall SS power amp (Marshall 9040, from before the master volumes were added). If I wanted to get that rig any righter, the thing that would have to go was the power amp, and with modern SS power amps one might go from a 2U to a 1U rack and halve the weight with no loss of volume.

The two big ones out there are of course the PowerStage and the Matrix power amps. So the question is: has anybody tried running these with any of the classic rack preamps (MP-1, JMP-1, TriAxis)? Do they work as well as a conventional SS power amp for this purpose?

Re: PowerStage as Power Amp in Conventional Rack Rig?

I don't see why that would not work. I mean, the Powerstage is a power amp, only in a smaller format than your Marshall 9040. New technology advancements with Class D power stages have allowed form factors to decrease and even be more efficient. I say go for it. Lighten the load.

Comment

Yeah, the PowerStage 700 comes with rack ears, and it is stereo. The 170 & 200 are mono, which might be a problem.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think the powerstage 700 would rock in a rack setup.

Comment

Working...
        X