Thoughts about using a single cabinet for multiple heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts about using a single cabinet for multiple heads

Hey guys, looking for some amp advice in an area I know little about... Although I have a wide range of modeling and tube amps, most of my amp choices were based on what it sounds like and how well it fits the gig... However I need to downsize my living space and wondering what you guys think about the following?

My prime tube amps are a 76 Music Man HD 130, a Splawn street rod, and a Peavey classic 50. The music man is my hyper clean/warm, infinite headroom, better than a Twin amp.. the Splawn goes from crystal clean to ridiculous Marshall overdrive and the Peavy is a good mix of clean and crunch tones that I can take out in the real world and not worry about it being damaged. The splawn is a single 12 combo and the PV and music Man are 4*10 combos.

Considering the number of variables, my thinking is probably insane... However I was wondering if it could make sense to sell off my combos and buy the head versions and use a single 410 cabinet for all of them?

The reason I'm thinking 410 is that I tend to enjoy the tightness that comes from the small speakers with tight bass generated by the size of the enclosure. However, it's possible that part of the reason I love the Splawn's tone could be the single 12.

In the same vein, its hard to imagine a single cabinet that easley covers all of this range.

And the open-back combos have the advantage of spilling out some of the sound out of the back for monitoring and being less hyper directional.

Perhaps the biggest issue is that I acquired these amps over 40 years out in the real world, every amp is somewhat individual and there's a real possibility that I would end up with heads that aren't as magical as the 3 combos I currently have.

And last but not least, the Peavy would be relatively easy to find and HD 130s do show up from time to time... but the splawn head is relatively hard to find.

I don't think it makes sense to try to convert my combos to heads although I've had some friends that have had positive results.

So that's the background... I'm open to any all ideas it has as how you would approach my dilemma and totally open to education on everything from timbre to technology.

Thanks in advance!
    M

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Re: Thoughts about using a single cabinet for multiple heads

Cabs make a really big difference on the sound that you hear. I'd argue they're at least as important as the amp you're playing. I'm not sure multiple heads through the same cab would really give you the options you think it will . . . it will make them all sound kinda similar.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Too fancy for me.
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I agree with GuitarStv, the speakers/cab play a huge part of the tone.

If you had three heads already I could see attempting to downsize, but in this case you may not get the tones you like and are familiar with. Also, is it really saving that much room?
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Can't say for the cab, but G12H30 anniversaries definitely can cover the range you're looking for in closed back cab. They're right on the spot for being not too bright for distortion, and bright enough for great cleans.

Wonderfully balanced speakers, while maintaining the classic celestion crunch.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Great input guys. You've addressed exactly what I expected I might hear and we'll have to think about this from another direction. Much appreciated, Michael

Comment

I used to not believe how different a cab can make an amp sound. What turned me around was using IRs on a recorded guitar part. There are millions of them out there, and the right one can absolutely transform a good part into one that is exceptional. It was hard to believe what I was hearing, so I did a real-life experiment by borrowing 7 different cabs and hooking my Mesa into each one. Some were really great, and some were quite bad- so bad, that if that is what I heard when I bought my Mesa, I wouldn't have bought it.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Bad idea, easy to make disastrous mistakes.

Comment

First - it sounds like the SPlawn is the keeper. Small, exceptional sound and very versatile.

Next - The heads will be colored by the cab, or a single head can be colored by multiple cabs. Either way you roll...pros/cons.

Jack nailed it IMO. I think you can find a good 4x10 that would cover a great range. Perfect for anything? Maybe not. Good at a lot? Yeah. I have no idea what that flexible all-around 4x10 cab is though.

Love the 4x10 punch though! Killer in a band. You can let the bass run wild in the low range and really blast through clearly.

If you really want to go low - get a powered 10" PA speaker and the IR pedal as Dave said. Cab of choice with what er sounding like the crowd will hear it.

Finally - Downsize? Does that rhyme with Divorce?
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Thanks Dave. Would have never thought of my if in this context!

Bob, I have no idea where my life is heading next, but I hope I am hoping my wife will be part of it

Comment

4x10’s always sound real boxy to me, like in a tunnel. They are right for a Super Reverb and a Bassman, but not much else IMHO.

Whatever you do, make sure each amp is seeing the correct load when powered up.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        First - it sounds like the SPlawn is the keeper. Small, exceptional sound and very versatile.

Next - The heads will be colored by the cab, or a single head can be colored by multiple cabs. Either way you roll...pros/cons.

Jack nailed it IMO. I think you can find a good 4x10 that would cover a great range. Perfect for anything? Maybe not. Good at a lot? Yeah. I have no idea what that flexible all-around 4x10 cab is though.

Love the 4x10 punch though! Killer in a band. You can let the bass run wild in the low range and really blast through clearly.

If you really want to go low - get a powered 10" PA speaker and the IR pedal as Dave said. Cab of choice with what er sounding like the crowd will hear it.

Finally - Downsize? Does that rhyme with Divorce?
                        On the other hand, perfect is often quite boring.

That's why I prefer to keep things simple and think it's fine to compromise when necessary.

Like using one cab with multiple amps.
                        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

The amps and cabs are tailored to each other. A lot of the time, if you want the sound from another amp, you'll almost certainly need the speaker/cab that said amp is usually paired with as well. Note this is for the most "perfect" replication of that amp/cab combo.

As a side note, I wonder if you could have a setup to where you did have the 4 x 12 (or 4 x 10) and just put as many different speakers as you wanted. When you switched amps, it would switch the speaker being used too. Could be kinda cool, but logistically very difficult to set up.

Personally, I like the IR idea the most for the versatility you're looking for. If you look up recordings comparing IR to a real speaker, you will be able to hear a difference, but very likely won't be able to tell which is which, especially in a live situation for a band mix. Done correctly, both will still sound superb.
                          Last edited by GreatOz; 04-28-2020, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Yep... again I never would have thought of ir for speakers and now that it's on the table I can't believe I never thought of it before.

Of course that would force me to go ahead and get new rigs before I sell off the old so that I could tune IR while I still have the amps to compare.

on the other hand I love tubes and modeling equally and wonder if I should just break down I get a Kemper

Great ideas guys much appreciated, Michael

Comment

Working...
                            X