banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Amp: Bogner Shiva / Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve /Rivera Knucklehead Reverb???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp: Bogner Shiva / Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve /Rivera Knucklehead Reverb???

After ten years of having the First Gen 5150 Combo; I passed it on to a new owner. Would love to hear pros/cons from those who have owned the models that I am considering to replace the 5150:

- Bogner Original Shiva 1x12 Combo

- Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve 2x12 Combo

- Rivera Knucklehead Reverb Head w/2x12 Cab
    Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 04-26-2020, 10:54 PM.
    MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
    1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
    1988 Kramer Nightswan
    1989 Charvel Sambora
    2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
    Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
    Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Re: New Amp: Bogner Shiva / Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve /Rivera Knucklehead Reverb???

Originally posted by muttznmongrelz
    Disregard; picked up a Silver Back Panel Shiva EL34 1x12 Combo.
    Wow, let's hear about that now!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: New Amp: Bogner Shiva / Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve /Rivera Knucklehead Reverb???

As I have sold two guitars and an amp over the last month I just said "the Hell with it" and purchased a couple of tasty tube amps and still had a few bucks left over from the proceeds of the sold items. :thumbs

*** NO COVID STIMULUS MONIES WERE USED IN THE PURCHASE OF THESE MOST DEFINITELY ESSENTIAL ITEMS ***

Bogner Shiva EL34 1x12 Silver Panel

Manufacturer's Description from Rivera;

Heavy in tone, light in weight, easy to use, and very portable, our R Series of all-tube combo amplifiers evolved from our M/S Pro Series combo amp. They are available in two sizes, with a 1-12" or 2-12" custom Celestion speaker configuration, in 30-watt and 55-watt (1-12" only) or 100-watt power (2-12" only). R Series amps feature our legendary pair of independent and differently voiced channels, with footswitchable boost on each, delivering four sounds at the tap of your toe.

From British amp tones on Channel One, for those sultry crunch rhythms and leads, to the warm tweed or blackface American tones on channel two, the versatility to bring out the best in any style is there. Built-in Hammond 3-spring reverb provides a smooth and sweet fill, and a super-quiet active effects loop with level controls lets you utilize external effects quietly and allows you to mix in that extra spice you need for your individual style.

They'll be joining the Boogie soon!
      Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 05-02-2020, 02:28 PM.
      MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
      1988 Kramer Nightswan
      1989 Charvel Sambora
      2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

my buddies favorite amp is the rivera hundred duo 12. hes had it forever and it sounds great! does the fender/marshall thing as good as any amp ive played though with nice reverb. its heavy of course. ive played a few shivas before and really liked em but dont know enough about the different models to know what the differences are or even really what i was playing

Comment

That's good to hear. I had a Rivera Twelve Thirty a while back and liked it but wished it was a 2x12 and had more power so the HDT should be similar but with the things I had wanted in the TT. I've played a couple Shivas, albeit they were 20th Anniversary KT88, and liked them but this one is EL34. Did a lot of research and listed to a bunch of youtube clips and was very impressed so I'm excited to get it in hand and try it out.
          MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
          1988 Kramer Nightswan
          1989 Charvel Sambora
          2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

in trying to get the 100/212 sound in a lighter/smaller package he tried the 1230. it was ok, but the big one is significantly better to my ears

Comment

Exactly! Lighter/smaller will be the Shiva.

An example of what I am hoping tone-wise with the Shiva...

This amp is for sale on Craigslist Denver 5-16-2015. $1200.00.Garage
              Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 04-27-2020, 02:05 PM.
              MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
              1988 Kramer Nightswan
              1989 Charvel Sambora
              2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

whats the trainwrecky thing in the background?!?! the shiva sounds great, yours have reverb? do they all have reverb?

Comment

LOL; I saw that and thought Trainwreck as well!

As to the Shiva Reverb; there are separate Reverb Knobs for each channel on the back panel of the amp. Not sure if they all have reverb but I believe so.

Per internet sources; there are four models: Original Shiva Silver Back Panel, Shiva Revision Green Back Panel, Shiva 6L6 and 20th Anniversary Shiva KT88

- Prior to about 06-07, the boost on the Shiva models was just a gain boost with a slight fixed increase in volume.

- After 06-07 All Shivas has 2 main differences. The first being the addition of a second Channel 2 volume which is engaged with the Boost button on the foot-switch - the boost on the clean channel bypasses the tone stack while increasing the volume, thus adding an adjustable volume boost for over-driven solos. This feature is on all Shiva models including the 20th. The other difference is for some reason they changed the overall volume on the clean channel to be a bit louder than the overdrive when both channel volumes are at equal settings.

- With the 20th, Reinhold Bogner added an extra gain stage and built the amp around KT88 power tubes, which gives a more modern feel and percussive attack.

- The original Shivas EL34 used crypto-graphics as serial numbers and had handwritten info on a brushed silver back plate. I believe they also had a silver back plate, 2nd gen used regular numbers for serial number and a green back plate.
                  Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 04-28-2020, 10:40 AM.
                  MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                  1988 Kramer Nightswan
                  1989 Charvel Sambora
                  2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

nice, thanks for sharing that. its not as complicated as i thought. enjoy your new toys!!

Comment

Very welcome and thank you!
                      MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                      1988 Kramer Nightswan
                      1989 Charvel Sambora
                      2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

I'm so impressed with the shiva anniv. that I have been looking for info on how to convert to kt88's. Unfortunately the job would be out of my tech scope, I'd have to get anything modded by a real amp tech to do it, so it's out at this time. In the meantime, i can tell you that i have an Egnater Rebel 30, the original one, head. If you can find one, because word may have gotten out and they seem to be scarce, GC doesn't think they are worth more than 400 these days. You'll have to retube it, and you'll probably have to try different tubes to get it up to snuff. A few vintage tubes won't hurt it, but get new matched for the power section, EL84s and 6V6s. Once done, this amp will blow your mind, like these boutiquees but you'll save about a grand in the process. In fact, you may like the results alot better. My cleans are close to par with a bogner, in fact I use the clean with pedals, but the distortion channel is there if you need it. Just my two cents. I was getting really interested in a shiva or a boogie, and pulling the rebel out yesterday, i'm telling you, waaaay underrated amp. But you gotta get the first one, the V2 doesn't have the mojo.
                        jackrabbit-eared ~^~ ~^~ Spock!

Comment

Yeah, I've played a 20th Anniversary Combo with the KT88s and it was very impressive. Appreciate the heads up on the Egnater and have actually played one and considered it at one point. Not sure what version it was but it was a nice sounding amp.
                          MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                          1988 Kramer Nightswan
                          1989 Charvel Sambora
                          2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

Woo Hoo! Rivera R100 arrived! After unboxing it I had to reinstall all the tubes and plug in the reverb tank but once that was done it fired up and worked just fine.

As I remembered from previously owning a Rivera Thirty Twelve R30; it was easy to tweak the knobs and dial in a variety of tones especially with the push/pull options engaged for Boost, Bright, Notch, Ninja.

As anticipated, I really like the additional power backing it up in comparison to the R30. Plugged in my Charvel Sambora into it and was able to get some killer tones with both the humbucker and split coils and the Reverb was pretty damn sweet. Very much a "Fender on Steroids" (IMHO) but, in all fairness, I didn't try getting a "Marshall-ish" tone out of it yet. I'll explore that side of it in time.
                            Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 05-05-2020, 09:12 AM.
                            MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                            1988 Kramer Nightswan
                            1989 Charvel Sambora
                            2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

Digging the Rivera but, sadly, the Bogner arrived with a crushed/mangled/bent three prong power cord and a tolex tear and deep thumb sized dent in the top side edge of the cabinet as if it had been whacked hard with a lead pipe so it went back to the seller. I'll keep my eye out for a Bogner or Friedman or other boutique/hand-wired combo of some sorts.
                              MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                              1988 Kramer Nightswan
                              1989 Charvel Sambora
                              2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X