banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Shred doesn’t sound right - what’s wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Shred doesn’t sound right - what’s wrong?

Hi!
    I recently acquired my second Charvel DK24, this time with an HSS config instead of HSH like my first - but the SD Full Shred bridge pickup sounds incredibly weak & ‘loose’ or boomy compared to the same pickup in my HSH guitar. What could be wrong here? I have checked the baseplate & says it’s a Full Shred. My first DK24 came with the Alnico 2 Pro in the bridge & the FS mounted in the neck so I had to switch them. But this time there’s something else going on. Probably with the wiring but I can’t find a diagram that looks like my guitar to check against. It’s like if it was always in split/tapped mode
    Last edited by lns; 04-26-2020, 09:18 AM.

Re: Full Shred doesn’t sound right - what’s wrong?

You can test if it is split by tapping on the poles with a screwdriver when plugged in (keep the volume of the amp kinda low). You can also test if the pickup itself is at fault here by checking the DCR with a multimeter.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	xM4U0dY_d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	5818926

The black cable to the left is the hot from the bridge. It’s hard to see but it’s soldered to 2 lugs towards the neck part of the switch.
      I tapped the humbucker with a screwdriver & it sounded good to me, it’s just a lot less loud compared to the other FS
      Last edited by lns; 04-26-2020, 01:49 PM.

Comment

It isn't wired in parallel, is it? That would sound a lot like split but both coils would still be active and hum bucking.

That looks like some gobbly goop wiring. Maybe just wire the bridge humbucker alone & see what you get?

Comment

How do I check?
          I know, it looks horrible. Not that I’m a much better solderer myself.
          I can’t seem to find a diagram for HSS with the super switch that looks anything like this.

Comment

Do you happen to have a meter to check if the FS is working properly? It will be a worthwhile investment for guitar wiring.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by lns View Post
              How do I check?
              Plug the guitar into an amp and tap lightly on the pole pieces with a small screwdriver. If it is much louder on one coil than the other, it is "split" (meaning only one coil is active).

If both coils are active you will need a multi-meter to check the ohms. If it is much, much lower than it should be then it is in parallel rather than series. Full Shred should read around 14k ohms. If it's in parallel it will be something like 3k ohms.

Split or parallel will both give you a much weaker signal, and brighter that series (which is "normal" humbucker wiring).

You can get a really cheap multi-meter from Harbor Freight if there is one anywhere near your house.
              If you don't have one and don't know how to use one you might have to wait until you can take it to a trusted friend who can do it.
              Last edited by Dave Locher; 04-28-2020, 02:56 AM.

Comment

series= 14K, split= 7k, parallel = 3.5k im sure thats what dave meant but just for clarification

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  series= 14K, split= 7k, parallel = 3.5k im sure thats what dave meant but just for clarification
                  Thanks, I meant to type parallel the second time. I've edited it to be correct

Comment

I have a Full Shred, the wiring was probably reverse wound, or who knows. I had similar problems. They may be related to your other pickup, or, they may have had the machine set up for a custom before lunch, etc.

You've got to try different things, But, check this out...

So just try switching the selector (if using 5 way) on lug 7 to hot instead of ground . I don't remember the details other than i did get it to sound great.

Not sure what was up with it, but it sounds great now.

Good luck
                    jackrabbit-eared ~^~ ~^~ Spock!

Comment

I lost my patience & replaced them with EMG 81/SA/SA & I think I like the Full Shred more
                      It sounds much better (though a bit thin & bright) in my HSH Charvel DK24 (which Inalso has to rewire myself since the FS was installed in the neck).
                      The EMG81 sounds like it’s lower output - (hope I didn’t receive another faulty pickup?). Compared to the EMG het-set & even the FS. Plus it doesn’t sound very good for lead tones IMO. Another reason for the EMG switch is the Full Shred feedbacks like an ambulance at rehearsals.
                      I just think it’s way too complicated to find an easy to understand wiring diagram for the fender style super switch (2 rows of 10 lugs) with the Charvel wiring.
                      But I’m going to buy me a multi-meter & a better soldering iron & give it a go again I guess. As long as I can access the full humbucker & the 2 single coils together & separately I’d be OK. Best would be switching the tone pot for another volume: 1 for the HB & 1 for both SC’s.
                      Last edited by lns; 06-03-2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

the wiring you want isnt overly complicated. with the feedback, it sounds like you have a microphonic pup

you did swap all the controls when you put the emgs in right? a fs shouldnt have more output than an 81

Comment

Yes, i switched all the controls for the solderless stuff. I’m gonna test them with the multi meter to see. The EMG output jack fits very tightly in the dk24’s routing

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            a fs shouldnt have more output than an 81
                            Unless the battery is dead or missing.

Comment

Originally posted by lns View Post
                              Yes, i switched all the controls for the solderless stuff. I’m gonna test them with the multi meter to see. The EMG output jack fits very tightly in the dk24’s routing
                              why didn't you just bring it to a tech? you bought a new set of pickups instead that you end up not liking?

Comment

Working...
                              X