New Guy here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy here.

I'm from Oklahoma City and just signed up. I've been looking around and used the search but didn't have any luck or didn't know how to word it. I'm thinking there has to have been a lot of people before me that has been looking to identify the pickup. If I'm gooing about this wrong mods, please tell me. Can anyone tell me what this pickup up is?

Re: New Guy here.

Those aren't the usual Duncan stickers. My guess is that the CC might mean "CustomCustom", but they have Alnico 2 magnets, and that other sticker says AL-5, which would make it a Custom5. Those 2 stickers are sort of contradictory. I wonder who put them on there?

Comment

That's the problem I am having "AL V" makes me think Alnico 5 and the CC = custom Custom. Think someone put an extra sticker on there? or possibly changed a magnet and made a certain pickup?
      Last edited by OKC; 04-26-2020, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Does it measure like a custom on a meter?

A Custom Custom and Custom 5 sound different. I would put it in a guitar and see what it sounds like to narrow down what it is.

Comment

Do you have a multimeter? If so, what resistance do you get between red and green, and between black and white?
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It could be a long-legged CC made for an OEM buyer, who used their own sticker. I don't have a list of guitars that came with CCs. Someone here may know that.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Welcome!

I'm posting partly because I want to follow this thread, because I'm curious and have lots of time now....

Anyway, as the others have said, a multimeter reading will be key.

Where did the pickup come from? Was it an eBay purchase or something to that effect? I read elsewhere on the forum this morning that someone had an HSH Charvel pro mod that had a Full Shred wired into the neck and a '59 neck wired into the bridge. You never know with this stuff :/
              Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
              Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
              Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
              Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
              Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
              Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
              Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
              Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
              Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
              PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Red & White were connected, green was soldered to shielded cable.
                R & G = 6757
                B & W = 7060
                All wires were disconnected from each other before checking ohms.
                Assuming R & W is for coil tap?

I bought a used Charvel years ago that should have came out with the SH-14. I liked the sound of the pickup but it wasn't spaced for a floyd rose.

Last edited by OKC; 04-27-2020, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OKC View Post
                  Red & White were connected, green was soldered to shielded cable.
                  R & G = 6757
                  B & W = 7060
                  All wires were disconnected from each other before checking ohms.
                  Assuming R & W is for coil tap?

I bought a used Charvel years ago that should have came out with the SH-14. I liked the sound of the pickup but it wasn't spaced for a floyd rose.

You’re saying you pulled this from a Charvel you had? It measures like a Custom wind, it could be OEM or custom order with an A5, but I didnt know Charvel would put a regular Humbucker Custom with long legs in at the factory.

Comment

Those are the labels SD used from ~1994 to ~2001 or so.

I will bet money that is a shop floor custom version of a Custom Custom with an A5 magnet.

In other words, that was a "Custom 5" before the "Custom 5" was officially made into a production pickup a short while later (around 2002, if I recall correctly)
                    Last edited by Masta' C; 04-27-2020, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                      Those are the labels SD used from ~1994 to ~2001 or so.

I will bet money that is a shop floor custom version of a Custom Custom with an A5 magnet.

In other words, that was a "Custom 5" before the "Custom 5" was officially made into a production pickup a short while later (around 2002, if I recall correctly)
                      The oldest pickup with a labelprinted tag i have seen was a 1996.
                      The Custom 5 was also called Custom Custom Custom.
                      Last edited by hamerfan; 04-27-2020, 02:03 PM.
                      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I bought two of these guitars used' from the same batch; that were manufactured around 2002. They came out of the Chushin Gakki factory. one had the SH-14 like was advertised and the other one had this pickup. A lot people didn't care for the SH-14 but I thought it was a great pickup.
                        Does anyone know what the windings compare to with that many Ohms? Can somone enlighten me what 'long legs' means?

Thank you in advance

EDIT: I was looking at https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/custom-5 and the custom 5 is actually called 'SH-14' could this be the precursor to this pickup?
                        Last edited by OKC; 04-27-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          You’re saying you pulled this from a Charvel you had? It measures like a Custom wind, it could be OEM or custom order with an A5, but I didnt know Charvel would put a regular Humbucker Custom with long legs in at the factory.
                          I bought the guitar used so I cant say for sure that it came from the factory with this pickup

Comment

Charvel would absolutely put a Custom Custom in a Floyded Strat though....
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              Charvel would absolutely put a Custom Custom in a Floyded Strat though....
                              Short-leg trembucker, though, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X