StewMac Electric Guitar Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StewMac Electric Guitar Kits

Anyone have experience (good or bad) with the StewMac electric guitar kits? Because for $150 this single cut LP Jr has "social distancing project" written all over it:

Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Re: StewMac Electric Guitar Kits

They're good value and fine if you construct them correctly. I mean how can you even lose at 150.00 all in.

I mean not to destroy this thread BUT most of the sound is that P-90 -and for 150.00 your getting everything but the finish -including Mahogany neck and slab body -but probably getting a pretty underwhelming pickup -lighter metal bridge and at best average tuners. BUT for $150 and throwing in a pickup upgrade later -you still come out a winner.

I don't know anything about the feel of a Granadillo Fret board though.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

for $150 its a great project, why not!

Comment

I think you can get an Epiphone Junior already built for that. But a kit might be more fun.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	5818942
          I recently finished a Stew Mac SG (I believe they don't sell these anymore) and the guitar turned out great. I do have to admit that I hadn't used any of the parts that were supplied. I installed Seymour Duncan 59/JB, Grover tuners, GFS brass roller bridge, better tailpiece, better pickup selector switch and better electronics. I installed a SD Triple Shot pickup surround on the bridge pickup. I didn't do a transparent finish because the 2 piece body wasn't centered and the two pieces of wood color didn't match well. It is a great sounding and playing guitar. Fret ends are a little sharp and I slotted the nut for better action.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	5818941

Comment

Yep. The wood part is ok.
            The kit items are the cheapest hardware you can get.

And like any completely new build you will need all the fret working tools to set up the guitar properly. Its a full setup from absolute scratch.

Comment

I keep saying I am going to grab a Jr kit and just make one to give a friend or something.

I've seen one of the 335 kits done and it came out very nice but they didn't use any supplied hardware at all.
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
              X