banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well have come to the conclusion that my PRS amps absolutely kill my Boogies live!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well have come to the conclusion that my PRS amps absolutely kill my Boogies live!!

Have owned the DC 5 for a while like the amp but after running both it and the little MT 15 in the same live environment with the same cab and pedal board have come to the conclusion that in ever way tone wise for me the PRS amps just sound and feel better. Cleans in particular are light years better on the Archon and the MT 15 warmer rounder lass harsh just so much easier to work with. The Crunches are my more dynamic and less stiff on the PRS amps and over all easier to play for me. The solo tones are incomparable and the 2 PRS amps have the absolute best fluid solo tones of any amps I have ever played bar none!!
    This is with the Boogie DC 5.

Will post a video with the MT 15 below same song same cab same pedal board.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: Well have come to the conclusion that my PRS amps absolutely kill my Boogies live

This is with the MT 15 same cab and pedal board on the same system. Listen to how much more dynamic the tones are here with the MT 15. Warmer bigger clearer less harsh more alive just another level in every way. Keep in mind this is with the inexpensive import MT 15 and not the point to point wired hand built US Archon. The Archon is a big step up from the MT 15 in particular when you start cranking it up. Try as I might see the same thing every single time I record with both amps. I and am just blown away with how good these PRS amps really sound in the real world and am baffled as to why they don't get much more attention and love on most music forums. Was totally satisfied with the Boogie until I got these rigs is the thing that's really blowing me away. Bought the MT 15 because I wanted a super small good sounding inexpensive head to build a grab and go rig around little did I know. Am now recording one service at my old Church with the Boogie then playing a live stream service every Sunday with another running the MT 15 so am working with both rigs regularly in a full band live situation and recording. That's what has suddenly shown me just how good these PRS amps really are. Like the PRS amps actually much better than I do the guitars and want one of the 2 channel C heads now!!
    Last edited by Ascension; 04-27-2020, 02:49 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Re: Well have come to the conclusion that my PRS amps absolutely kill my Boogies live

Heavy metal amps should be played in every church.

Got the MT15 and absolutely love it. I’ve played it at outdoor block parties with mic’d up drums, thumping bass player and was told I was too loud. I just wish the boost on the clean channel was foot switchable.

Comment

The 2 channel Custom head I want now. Completely different animal from the other 2 I have and one of the most versatile if not the most versatile amps i have ever played through!!
        Last edited by Ascension; 04-27-2020, 07:32 PM.
        Guitars

Comment

No PRS amp is going to outgun a MESA Dual Rectifier or MK III i can tell you that.

You must be easy to please.
          Last edited by JMP/HBE; 04-27-2020, 05:33 PM.

Comment

I mean, since this amp comparison has been contextualized, isn't this really about which amp Jesus is into?

Randall Smith (Mesa Boogie founder) was a carpenter, and jumped trains and hitchhiked, and ran around with sinners and did poetry and was self taught -modifying the amps of the day with a modern message.

I think Jesus is going with the Mesa Amp for his backline, and let the money changers play that PRS stuff.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Jesus played a Boogie ...

Comment

Also, PRS is the number one Blues Lawyer guitar and amp brand in the world, and Jesus was more on the underground scene creating establishment upheaval through his new riffs and didn't retain a lawyer when he most needed one because he thinks their riffs suck -so once again Jesus picks Mesa.

I promise that's the last one Ascension... Glad you dig your new amp.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Yeah but Mark Tremonti was in Creed and Creed was a Christian band.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                  -Greg

Guitars:
                  2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
                  2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
                  2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
                  Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

No PRS amp is going to outgun a MESA Dual Rectifier or MK III i can tell you that.

You must be easy to please.
                    Hand grenade is LOUD doesn't mean I want to listen to it. Been playing Boogies for years the PRS amps just feel and sound better to me and are built at least as well. Was one thing that really set Boogies apart the build quality and that's a fact but these PRS amps are the equal in the US stuff in every way. Have always found Boogies to be on the stiff side and always felt like I was fighting them as a player. However in the mix and on a recording they always sounded great so warmed up to them. These PRS amps feel better and sound better in every recording I have had with both so--.
                    Boogies are loud as HELL I will give you that though!!
                    Last edited by Ascension; 04-27-2020, 09:43 PM.
                    Guitars

Comment

As far as tones? This is the little import inexpensive 15 watt MT 15 head to head with a 100 watt Dual Rec so---.
                      Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                        Also, PRS is the number one Blues Lawyer guitar and amp brand in the world, and Jesus was more on the underground scene creating establishment upheaval through his new riffs and didn't retain a lawyer when he most needed one because he thinks their riffs suck -so once again Jesus picks Mesa.

I promise that's the last one Ascension... Glad you dig your new amp.
                        How do you think I wound up with a virtually unplayed 07 royal Blue Brazilian Rosewood board Pau Bird Custom 24 with all the case candy in 2010 for $800? Or a April 2019 build date Archon 50 head that was dead mint in the factory box with the footswitch for a GRAND under what it sold for new? Stupid poseur player lawyers with more $ than brains that's how! I thank GOD for um!! I actually gig with my gear and own what works for me. Never gave a PRS amp a second thought until just over a year ago when i played a MT 15 in a local shop and was blown away by it.
                        Guitars

Comment

Last edited by JMP/HBE; 04-27-2020, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                            I mean, since this amp comparison has been contextualized, isn't this really about which amp Jesus is into?

Randall Smith (Mesa Boogie founder) was a carpenter, and jumped trains and hitchhiked, and ran around with sinners and did poetry and was self taught -modifying the amps of the day with a modern message.

I think Jesus is going with the Mesa Amp for his backline, and let the money changers play that PRS stuff.
                            Ever heard of a guy named Doug Sewell? He used to design amps for a company called Cornford and a few years ago Paul was smart enough to hire him to design his amps. Ever played through a Cornford?
                            Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                              LOVE me some cork sniffers like PT Barnum said there is sucker born every minuet! They buy insanely expensive gear they can't really play then sell it for penny's on the $ a few months later when they get tired of it. If it twern't for them I couldn't afford most of the stuff I own!
                              Guitars

Comment

Working...
                              X