Truss Rod Adjustment Terminology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss Rod Adjustment Terminology

I recently had occasion to tear apart and completely redo a Yamaha Pacifica. (My girlfriend's parents had bought her a cheapo 112 back in high school when she thought she might want to play guitar, and it has more or less lain dormant since then, so I figured it'd be a nice, safe project.) When it came time to set it up, I looked online to see which way I needed to turn the truss rod nut to get the adjustment I wanted. (I set guitars up infrequently enough that I never remember, and in any case, I don't even know if this is standardized across guitar or neck brands or even models.) What I found confused me.

As I understand it, the truss rod helps the neck resist the pull of the strings to control the amount of relief. In the several resources I read (and watched), there seemed to be no consistent relationship between the direction they suggested turning the nut (clockwise vs counterclockwise), the terminology they used to describe what this was doing ("loosening" vs "tightening" the truss rod), and the desired effect of this adjustment (increasing vs decreasing the amount of relief). Some resources described turning the nut counterclockwise as "loosening" it; some described turning it clockwise as "loosening" it. Some used the term "loosening" to describe the adjustment to increase the relief; some used the term "tightening" to describe that same adjustment.

So which is it? What seems right to me would be to describe the act of decreasing the relief as "tightening" the truss rod, because it is increasing the degree to which the truss rod is doing its intended job; likewise, "loosening" the truss rod should seems like it should increase the relief, because it's causing the truss rod to have less of a neck-straightening effect. The sources I read seemed to be split, though. It might have to do with the fact that a counterclockwise turn of the nut, which we usually think of as a "loosening" motion, actually straightens the truss rod in this case?

I dunno. Some of you guys definitely seem like you could give a definitive answer to this.

Re: Truss Rod Adjustment Terminology

clockwise will tighten the trussrod and give less relief

Comment

With the most common single action truss rod, if you tighten it (turn it clockwise) it pulls the headstock towards the back of the guitar. If you loosen it, it stops doing this.

With double action truss rods you can move the neck either direction.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Lefty loosy, righty tighty.

Right gives you less relief, left gives you more.
        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

You can use your arm as a reference.

Loosening the truss rod bends your elbow farther, and makes your hand come up toward your shoulder, while tightening pushes your hand away from your shoulder.
          - Tom

Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.

Comment

Thanks, guys!

So I was right about how to think of loosening/tightening: Tightening makes the truss rod do its job harder, and lessens the relief.

And it sounds like it's universal that a clockwise turn tightens and a counterclockwise turn loosens. Is this true no matter which end of the neck has the adjustment nut, like old (and some reissue) Fenders where it's at the heel of the neck?

Comment

Originally posted by d2718 View Post
              Thanks, guys!

So I was right about how to think of loosening/tightening: Tightening makes the truss rod do its job harder, and lessens the relief.

And it sounds like it's universal that a clockwise turn tightens and a counterclockwise turn loosens. Is this true no matter which end of the neck has the adjustment nut, like old (and some reissue) Fenders where it's at the heel of the neck?

I've never seen one that works the other way...it's always right tight, left loose.
              - Tom

Comment

Awesome, thanks, guys. Now that I've had this extended back-and-forth about it, maybe I'll remember it in a couple years when it's time to do it again. Or maybe Google with turn up this thread for me, at least.

Comment

Working...
                X