Tube preamps into pedal board power amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube preamps into pedal board power amps

I am considering building a rig around the concept of tube preamps into pedal board sized power amps. I would then select a 112 with a high power neo magnet speaker for sake of weight. I am blind and am not able to drive and I am over the days of carrying a tube amp in one hand, cane in the other, guitar on my back and pedal board on my back and trying to not slam the tube amp into doorways and other objects. I feel safer carrying the most important goods on my back than I do in one hand at my side. Also, I could plug everything into a cab at a venue or rehersal space. Who here has been running tube preamps into the pedal board power amps and how do you like the results? I would totally get a modeler for sake of ease in transport, but being blind, I am not able to read the screens and they are all completely inaccessible to me. I need something with knobs and an intuitive and simple interface.

Re: Tube preamps into pedal board power amps

i think its a fine idea and there a plenty of options out there for you depending on what tones you are going after

Comment

This should work fine, and it is something many people are moving towards. I've used some of the analog-but-not-tube Tech 21 Character Series pedals as a preamp, and those work really well (my favorite was the Blonde). I also use a Fly Rig 5 into a power amp sometimes, too. You can't beat the weight, and it sounds great, too.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've done in the past, probably the most amplike, non-amp solution there is.

Comment

I use a FlyRig5 too and would recommend it tonally, however the micro-pots they use for settings are small and difficult to “read” by touch (actually, they’re so bright that they’re difficult to read by eye too!) definitely worth checking out Tech21 though - I had their GT2 for the longest time and ran it happily into both amps and direct to board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I've never used the GT2, but I have a Trademark 10 amp which uses the GT2 as the preamp, and it is the real deal.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I've never used the GT2, but I have a Trademark 10 amp which uses the GT2 as the preamp, and it is the real deal.
              Right. It was early in my learning about gain stages, and I often wonder what I could do with it now, with much more experience- feels like one of those “ones that got away”...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with the Tech 21 suggestions too, if you are concerned about having to carry stuff around, the Fly Rigs might be worth a shot, they sound great through a power amp and cab. I used a coupon and ordered one of the Richie Kotzen V2s. I tried one of the silver V2s and I don't think I gave it enough of a shot, good tones in it, I did have some issues with the XLR out being too hot but I do remember it sounded great through a cab. Figured I would give the RK5 another shot and I can use a DI box with an attenuator if I need to, kinda defeats having a built in XLR, but if it sounds good, a DI box isn't much to carry. If nothing else it will be a good backup to my GT-1000, if it sounds really good, it may get more use, who knows.

Comment

Working...
                X