banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe . . . is there an advantage to have a newer model ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Hot Rod Deluxe . . . is there an advantage to have a newer model ?

Hi there good people & Fender amp experts.

Simple question : is there an advantage over the 1st gen Hot Rod (1997'ish model) if you have a newer Hot Rod, like the MK3 or MK4 ?
    Or . . . is the 1st gen Hot Rods adequate, compared to the newer versions of this amp ?

What is your thoughts on the 1st gen ?
    Would anyone know what the tonal diffs / up grades are between the various models ?
    Info on the various 'Hot Rod comparisons' are hard to find.

Thanks to all.
    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Re: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe . . . is there an advantage to have a newer model ?

I was looking up this info earlier in the week. So I am interested in this info, too. I think there are 4 versions of it now, and other than people stating what they have, I have no idea if they improved the design over time or if "II is the best one". So I will watch this thread, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

In my humble opinion, the newest version has the most useable reverb.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

No personal experience, but I heard that the HRD IV fixes the longstanding issue with the clean volume, where most of the useful volume range is crammed into two degrees of movement on the dial somewhere between zero and one. The IV's knob sweep is more intuitive and easier to dial in something between nothing and ear-splitting for practice or small spaces. It is still a 40-watter, so by halfway up the dial anyone else in the room is plugging their ears, but you can find "comfortably rockin'" much easier on the latest HRDs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

IMO yes I like the IV best out of the hot rods I've played, they slightly cleaned up and tightened up the drive channel which you may not even be interested in but it does not sound as woolly, thick, and compressed as before. Not a huge difference but enough that I would take the latest version if it were my money.

Comment

I thought the drive channel sounded a bit nicer on the new ones.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

there is a page somewhere out there that has a ton of great info on the versions of the hot rod deluxe, i thought i had it book marked but cant find it

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                there is a page somewhere out there that has a ton of great info on the versions of the hot rod deluxe, i thought i had it book marked but cant find it
                Yeah, I was looking for that but hadn't come across it. You tend to see HRD II and III used a lot, and for cheaper prices than the reissue Deluxe Reverbs.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Liko View Post
                  No personal experience, but I heard that the HRD IV fixes the longstanding issue with the clean volume, where most of the useful volume range is crammed into two degrees of movement on the dial somewhere between zero and one. The IV's knob sweep is more intuitive and easier to dial in something between nothing and ear-splitting for practice or small spaces. It is still a 40-watter, so by halfway up the dial anyone else in the room is plugging their ears, but you can find "comfortably rockin'" much easier on the latest HRDs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                  Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                  IMO yes I like the IV best out of the hot rods I've played, they slightly cleaned up and tightened up the drive channel which you may not even be interested in but it does not sound as woolly, thick, and compressed as before. Not a huge difference but enough that I would take the latest version if it were my money.
                  Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  I thought the drive channel sounded a bit nicer on the new ones.
                  Great info . . . thank you very much guys.
                  I will be looking for more info on the 1st gen vs other models.

I did come a cross a master volume 'devise' ($25.00) that you can use on the 1st gen to make the volume issue a bit more bearable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Master-Volume-Module-_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	5818966

Comment

i think its just the taper of the pot. people like to complain about them, i used to be one of em, but ive used almost all the versions (dont think ive had a iv yet) as back line amp and if you use your ears, you can get a fine tone out of any of em

Comment

i think its just the taper of the pot. people like to complain about them, i used to be one of em, but ive used almost all the versions (dont think ive had a iv yet) as back line amp and if you use your ears, you can get a fine tone out of any of em
                      Good to know . . . thanks Jeremy

Comment

Working...
                      X