Coolest Production Model Axe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolest Production Model Axe

What's the coolest production model guitar you've played?

I'm not talking about the Gibson custom shop, or an independent luthier who does built-to-order one offs.

I'm talking about axes you would see hanging on the wall in a local shop, if you're local shop isn't Norm's Rare Guitars or Chicago Music Exchange.

Coolest ≠ best. You can take it to mean whatever you want. I bought a Jackson Rhoads style V used for $170, and I just love that pointy little b@stard, and play it almost as much as my cherished Gibson LP. I also modded the hell out of it, and its an absolutely ace guitar now, but what inspired me to do it was just how much I "bonded" with it. One of my buddies, who I learned to play with decades ago, still has / plays his Squier, and swears he'll never get rid of it because it just does it for him.

What about you all?
    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Re: Coolest Production Model Axe

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
    I bought a Jackson Rhoads style V used for $170, and I just love that pointy little b@stard, and play it almost as much as my cherished Gibson LP.
    My #1 is a Jackson Rhoads, which is hilarious, because it's a bit small looking for my 6'4" frame, but I'll never get rid of it.

There's just something bad-@ss about these guitars

Matt Tuck from BFMV on his white Rhoads:

Comment

For me, it would be the Steve Morse sig from Music Man. If you can't get a tone you like out of that one, you just can't get a tone you like.
      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I'd say the EBMM Axis guitar is among the coolest guitars I've ever played. It’s basically the final evolution of the lineage of guitars that stemmed from the Frankenstrat.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I wish I still had my purple Axis, they are great guitars, the neck is just a little small and round for my taste, but haven't played one in years, need to try one again, they sound amazing! As far as the Frankenstrat lineage, it actually started as a Albert Lee signature model, and his took a different turn, so I guess Eddie picked up that ball for a little while. I would say the current Wolfgangs are more to Eddie's taste. The Axis is a much better looking guitar IMO though, I'm really not a fan of offset bodies. Not saying I will never own a wolf, but not my first choice.
          Last edited by devastone; 04-29-2020, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Not to jump on the Music Man bandwagon, but the MM Stringray RS is pretty cool. It balances the Fender/Gibson qualities pretty well. With the mahogany body and rosewood fretboard, it brings the fullness and warmth you'd expect. Add in the longer scale neck and thinner body, and it brings the percussiveness and snap you'd want. And of course, the feel & playability is there due to the nice setup MM gives their guitars.

Of cool guitars I don't own but would love to try, the MM St Vincent HH calls me. It is so weird, and that is intriguing for some reason.

Comment

I tend to go with LTD for hearing 'cool.' Their QC and appointments for the ~$1,000 price tag can't be beaten, IMO. They look cool, play well, and sound/feel great. I'm a fan of the H3 series - just picked one up recently, and it's insane for a 1k price tag. Something like this would've been way more expensive when I started out about 20 years ago.

That said, Schecter is doing some cool stuff these days as well.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, there are no production guitars with LED inlays and LED binding.

I want a production guitar with something like this:

and this:

combined.

That would be pretty ****ing cool.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I played a Zemaitis once. Couldn’t afford it, but got to play it in store.

Comment

There were a few.
                    A headless Klein, built in conjunction with Ned Steinberger.
                    My Music Man Silhouette Special, and their Albert Lee.
                    Early 80s Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion.
                    A few Brian Moore guitars I've played.
                    Composite Electrics (owned by Peavey) Blade carbon fiber electric.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

A couple of Hamers
                      ...both of which I ended up buying...
                      and a Musicman L III which I didn't.

That was in a Guitar Center in San Francisco a few years back and they had a second hand Silhouette and the L III. My ideal would have been a combination of both, but unfortunately that's not a production guitar. The stock pups on the L III didn't do much for me but the neck was amazing.

To be honest, I would probably be pretty happy with either thought.

The silhouette is pretty cool as is and the L III with a pickup swap...

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Coolest Production Model Axe

I’m a guy that always wanted a vintage Strat and probably never will own one. I have two signature series Strats that were affordable The first one is my Custom Shop Robert Cray model. It’s one of the first ones, and was made in the original custom shop at the old factory. I bought it 1994 used for for about $700. It’s essentially a 62 reissue hard tail Strat with a very beefy neck, and some sweet sounding vintage pickups. My only gripe is the poly finish. Back in the 90’s Ronnie Earl played it and signed it at one of his shows. I’ll never sell it, and it plays and sounds amazing.

My other is my EJ Strat. It’s also pretty much everything I want in a Strat, right out of the box; including the nitro finish. It’s got a fuller neck size than most Strats, great pickups, even the EJ tone mod. I have five Strats, this is the first one I grab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A band mate's 1956 Gretsch. I loved it. He later traded it in on a new one, which horrified me.

Second would be the dark tobacco burst ES-335 with factory bigsby that I owned. It faded to black on the very edges. It was a '76 or so and had the extra toggle on the lower cutaway for coil tap, which made it look even more cool in my book. Sounded great too.

Comment

My '08 Jackson DXMG.
                            With the Crunch Lab, or the JB.
                            Either way.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I hate myself for hanging one of these back on the wall at C.V. Loyd in Champaign IL in early 2009, the day I got my mesa212 for $100-off (demo discount).

Last edited by dave74; 04-30-2020, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X