Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Reading

Hi all,

I've noticed that my Les Paul had been sounding off form of late, so did a quick reading check to see if there were any wiring issues, and found that although both pickups read fine individually, I'd get an OTT output reading of 15k - 17k when selecting the neck position. The neck is 7.6k, and the bridge 8.7k, so first thought was that they're somehow in series when the neck is selected, but the output sound doesn't seem to follow that idea. If anything, I'd noticed the guitar liefless and harsh, instead of its usual sweetness.

It's all wired in a standard 50s independent volumes setup, with your bog standard Gibson three way switch, so not exactly likely to end up in series either(?)

Any ideas?

My mum says I'm speshal...

Re: Odd Reading

Originally posted by Davii View Post
    Hi all,

I've noticed that my Les Paul had been sounding off form of late, so did a quick reading check to see if there were any wiring issues, and found that although both pickups read fine individually, I'd get an OTT output reading of 15k - 17k when selecting the neck position. The neck is 7.6k, and the bridge 8.7k, so first thought was that they're somehow in series when the neck is selected, but the output sound doesn't seem to follow that idea. If anything, I'd noticed the guitar liefless and harsh, instead of its usual sweetness.

It's all wired in a standard 50s independent volumes setup, with your bog standard Gibson three way switch, so not exactly likely to end up in series either(?)

Any ideas?

All pots on 10 and acting as they should?
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Also, is it just the neck that is sounding 'off'? Can you try to wire the pickup directly to the jack and see if you are getting the same sound?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
        All pots on 10 and acting as they should?
        Pots appear to be fine, and responsive.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Also, is it just the neck that is sounding 'off'? Can you try to wire the pickup directly to the jack and see if you are getting the same sound?
        The neck position was the thing I noticed first, so I wouldn't like to say if that's influenced my view of the bridge position. The bridge is/was 9.5k pre-installation, so the drop down to 8.7k seems a little high just for being hooked up to a pot, so again, I'm a little concerned that any negative view of the bridge position might be the result of noticing such things. It sounds ok, but has lost the nice mid-range I seem to remember :-S

Comment

Swapped out pickups, tested pots inbetween doing so with no issues, new strings. The plain strings seem fine, but the volume appears to be dropping quite a bit on the wound strings, as if suddenly hitting a dead spot/zone, especially in and around the 12 - 14th frets.

It's gone 11pm, so have had to stop fiddling, and won't be able to see how far I need to move the pole pieces to compensate. Still, seems very odd!

Comment

What you've described doesn't make any sense. No wonder you're confused.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              What you've described doesn't make any sense. No wonder you're confused.
              I've put it to one side for now, with the intention of getting a luthier friend to look it over once the lockdown business is out of the way. Might as well confuse him as well.

Comment

Ha, ha.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Detected some dodgy pot activity, with the reading randomly all over the place on the bridge volume. No more OTT readings, but me thinks a re-wire is on the cards!

Comment

Working...
                  X