banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wah - are there any that are noisy and gritty anymore - I find them so polished?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wah - are there any that are noisy and gritty anymore - I find them so polished?

Hi
    Sort of became a Wah day and looked around YT quite a bit.
    Reason for looking was the last one I got - EHX Cock fight plus.

One idea I had was for a video to create sound of wind - felt wah would be perfect.
    Variation with pedal of a windy day, no playing just noise.
    Maybe just dragging pick along a wound string as of a brench of a tree is about to go.
    Fired up CFP - but this stupid thing had no noise in it, dead silent.

I solved it with a synth noise generator etc but just surprised.

The one I had before that one was digital so obviously silent.
    But CFP is to be analog as I recall, what is going on here.
    Feel so controlled and polished.

Or am i mistaken it's all digital nowadays?

Re: Wah - are there any that are noisy and gritty anymore - I find them so polished?

It's pretty easy to generate noise with a guitar.

- Use single coils and stand near a computer monitor, computer, flourescent lights, dimmer switch, etc.
    - Use a compressor
    - Use a non-gated fuzz
    - Crank repeats on your delay until self oscillations happen
    - Take the back off your effects and play with them open - then take a CFL lamp and bring it next to the circuit
    - Power your effects with a daisy chain, and make sure there's a good mix of digital and analog stuff on the same chain
    - Use the cheapest, crappiest 9v power supply you can find
    - Don't ground your guitar
    - Use old pre-amp tubes in your amp

then just stick your wah into the mix once you've found the level of noise that makes you happy.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Re: Wah - are there any that are noisy and gritty anymore - I find them so polished?

Yes, and I can unplug the guitar and grab the end of the plug - and I get 50 hz for free.
      Noise is random, anything with a frequency is something else - a pattern.

I found a review on EHX site saying it is analog - or I would not have believed it.

Comment

I've never tried that effect but the couple EHX pedals I had (LPB-1 and an overdrive or two) were noisy as hell!
        Next time, try putting an overdrive pedal in front of the wah and turn up the gain and volume but don't play. Some will give a pretty good "woosh" sound.

Comment

My early 80s wah sounds like you are sweeping through wind. It is almost unusable unless that is the sound you are going for. I'll have to get a modern drop-in kit one of these days and make it a usable pedal again.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If I run my Weeping Demon into my Metalzone, when I'm muting the strings, I can get that swish.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys, obviously you can feed noise into a wah with all kinds of sources.

Just wondered about the wah as such, getting one that feed some interesting grit into tube amps.
              I kept an old Digitech RP100 just for the boutique wah model in there - but noise in digital is not there.

Since starting doing video also look for interesting effects, not only playable stuff....

Comment

It also depends on which amp and what settings. If you add gain and high-mids/high-end, then you’re more likely to hear what you’re looking for. My mid-90s and late-2000s Crybaby wah pedals most certainly do what you’re describing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                  It also depends on which amp and what settings. If you add gain and high-mids/high-end, then you’re more likely to hear what you’re looking for. My mid-90s and late-2000s Crybaby wah pedals most certainly do what you’re describing.
                  I had a Vox I think in the 70's that also were noisy, and that was the image in my head having all these digital in recent years - getting the Cock Fight would have that too. Probably why they have fuzz stuff onboard instead.

Also being plastic cover, not metal - electric fense here for cattle increase with those pulses when in chain. Doable otherwise. Not sure why they make not properly shielded pedals.

Comment

Used correctly, this wah is not polite !

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuzz Wah duncan forum.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	5818967
                    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

Originally posted by Larioso View Post
                      Thanks guys, obviously you can feed noise into a wah with all kinds of sources.

Just wondered about the wah as such, getting one that feed some interesting grit into tube amps.
                      I kept an old Digitech RP100 just for the boutique wah model in there - but noise in digital is not there.

Since starting doing video also look for interesting effects, not only playable stuff....
                      I think old 80s wahs are the grittiest, white noise-iest, swooshy wind-sounding out there. I am talking about the base model (I don't think there were tons of models back then like now). People used to clean wah sounds would only use these old models for the enclosure.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                      X