Pick 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick 2

I need some dirt. I've never had any of these. Do I go for the 2 old school reissues or pass on one for the MXR?

Rat2
    SD-1
    Super Badass
    Last edited by AniML; 04-30-2020, 08:02 AM.

Re: Pick 2

What are you using for an amp?

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Home player using a Fender SCXD, Peavey C20 MH and Katana 50. Les Paul with Seths and Tele with Ants

Comment

What sounds are you looking for and are you dead set on one of the three you listed?

Comment

The reason I ask is because I prefer the EHX Metal Muff over the Rat and the JHS Andy Timmons @ over Boss and MXR. All can be had fairly cheap used.

I've owned both the Super Champ X2 and Katana 100 but I didn't run pedals through either. I realize that doesn't help you though.

Comment

Those are 3 very different dirt boxes. I think you have to figure out what you are going for first, and narrow it down. At least 2 of those can be found used often, so you can also 'collect them all', but if you are limiting yourself to one at a time, then narrow it down to the tone you need.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by shupe13 View Post
              What sounds are you looking for and are you dead set on one of the three you listed?

typical classic rock. Nothing heavier than Sabbath, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Motley. Wide open -- I'm just looking for some cheap toys to play with and these were what I came up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Those are 3 very different dirt boxes. I think you have to figure out what you are going for first, and narrow it down. At least 2 of those can be found used often, so you can also 'collect them all', but if you are limiting yourself to one at a time, then narrow it down to the tone you need.
                Yes, I realize they are different and truly don't *need* any. I'm just looking for some new tones to mess with for cheap.

Comment

You are asking about Distortion 1 versus a very different Distortion 2, and then you have an OD

I'd get the OD and then either the 78 (If you dig a cool DS1) or the Rat, if you dig a Rat. OD > Distortion > Amp possibilities are vast.

A DS1 vs Rat or 78 vs Rat You tube should address this. The Rat Filter and push towards fuzz should be the deciding factor there...

And for the record - I think the Metal Muff (Which is awesome - I have one) is a whole other level of "^%$% this wussy little OD/Distortion boxes of crap!"
                  Last edited by Aceman; 04-30-2020, 09:11 AM.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by AniML View Post
                    Yes, I realize they are different and truly don't *need* any. I'm just looking for some new tones to mess with for cheap.
                    I'd say a Rat, then. Play in some lower tunings, and fuzz out. The DS-1 is a little harsher for classic rock, while the Badass is more JCM800-land, which is NWOBHM kind of sound (to me).
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The SD-1 and pick one of the other ones, they are pretty similar (I assume by Super Badass you are talking about the '78 pedal?). As Ace mentioned, there are some nice tones to be had from stacking the SD-1 into either of those pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        You are asking about Distortion 1 versus a very different Distortion 2, and then you have an OD

I'd get the OD and then either the 78 (If you dig a cool DS1) or the Rat, if you dig a Rat. OD > Distortion > Amp possibilities are vast.

A DS1 vs Rat or 78 vs Rat You tube should address this. The Rat Filter and push towards fuzz should be the deciding factor there...

And for the record - I think the Metal Muff (Which is awesome - I have one) is a whole other level of "^%$% this wussy little OD/Distortion boxes of crap!"

I should have posted the thread as "Which 2 toys would you pick to play with?"

The only other boost / dirt I have ATM is an EP boost and Carcosa fuzz, so I'm just looking for something to fill the sonic gap in between.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          The SD-1 and pick one of the other ones, they are pretty similar (I assume by Super Badass you are talking about the '78 pedal?). As Ace mentioned, there are some nice tones to be had from stacking the SD-1 into either of those pedals.
                          The MXR M75 Super Badass, but I think I am leaning Rat and SD-1

Comment

SD-1 and Rat. The Rat is pretty much a fuzz, and the SD-1 does overdrive/boosty sounds well.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                              SD-1 and Rat. The Rat is pretty much a fuzz, and the SD-1 does overdrive/boosty sounds well.
                              These are what I just ordered

Comment

Working...
                              X