That one piece of gear....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That one piece of gear....

What’s the one piece of gear (besides a guitar, amp, or pedal) that you’ve bought that you either cherish a lot or it really changed your playing, tone etc that you now cannot live without?

Re: That one piece of gear....

Flatwound strings (on my tele).

Comment

A bass.

Once I started playing bass, I learned to pay a lot more attention to when my notes end.

Comment

Recently, I would say the Perpetual Burn humbucker. About 10 years ago or so, the Screamin' Demon humbucker. While I had a lot of other pieces in place, once I started using both of those, I noticed a very pleasing change to my tone and I was able to have better control over my playing.

Comment

I started using DiMarzio 500K Volume Pots and Fender TBX Tone Pots...really took away the unwanted noise and made my guitars sound bigger and cleaner/clearer while giving me more control over the tone via the TBX.
          MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
          1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
          1988 Kramer Nightswan
          1989 Charvel Sambora
          2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
          Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
          Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Note stand.
            --------------------------------------------------------
            1973 Aria 551
            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Dunlop Max Grip Nylon picks, decent straplocks and Elixir coated strings (because I really have acidic sweat that kills regular strings hyper fast) are a must have for me.

I am also really fond of my Dunlop Lucky 13 straps, cheesy but true!
              "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Getting a DPA dvote 4099G mike for acoustic - so even having internal as kksound or taylors es2 - this makes a really nice stereo with a slight phasing/chorus effect almost when you pan channels hard left/right.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  Recently, I would say the Perpetual Burn humbucker. About 10 years ago or so, the Screamin' Demon humbucker. While I had a lot of other pieces in place, once I started using both of those, I noticed a very pleasing change to my tone and I was able to have better control over my playing.
                  I definitely hear that – the PB is fantastic! I'm a fiend for midrange though, so I swapped in an UOA5

Mine would have to be an analogman tube screamer, modded to be more similar to the TS808. I'd never stacked gain before, and didn't realize how gorgeous and thick you could make something sound while keeping it free of fizzy mud
                  Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                  Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                  Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                  Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                  Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                  Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                  Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                  Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                  Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                  PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
                    I definitely hear that – the PB is fantastic! I'm a fiend for midrange though, so I swapped in an UOA5
                    I still use the Screamin' Demon in a few guitars. I got the PB with a GC gift card after hearing Triumphant Hearts. Had to have it. Put it in a Les Paul and it was OK there but I knew it wasn't the right fit there, the SuperD suits it better. But as soon as I put the PB in my latest Frankenstrat build, I knew it was the perfect fit. I doesn't need any more mids. And it splits fantastically well.

Comment

Setup tools (nut files, crowning files, etc). Nothing like a guitar playing absolutely the way you want it to.

Comment

I have to echo the Flat wound strings

I use the Wound D'addarios that have the same feel as the Flat Wounds

and I got those on all my Electrics

super slinky feel
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I can't live without my Fender heavy picks. (In red moto :P).

Click image for larger version

Name:	fender heavy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	5818979
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            I can't live without my Fender heavy picks. (In red moto :P).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104611[/ATTACH]
                            I know what you mean. For me right now it’s the regular Ultex Jazz III. I bought a pack a while ago and from the moment I started using it, it felt perfect. I’ve used Jazz III’s on and off in the past including the Eric Johnson ones but these feel so much better all around.
                            I tried getting away from them, cause it’s a small pick and I didn’t wanna be locked in. I like the Jim Dunlop Celluloid Shell Heavy, but the Ultex Jazz III is perfect and keep coming back to it. I wanna check out the Primetone version.

Comment

That was a good question, made me think! I came to the conclusion that it would have to be the internet router. It is really the gateway and key for all the knowledge out there for me: from yootoob metronomes to sheet music to e-books to online lessons to this forum. Everything really. And to me the most transformative thing regarding my playing was when I realized that literally every piece of knowledge ever conceived regarding music and gitars is right here in front of me at my fingertips and its only up to me. There are no excuses. With the internet I can have Guthrie Govan or Rick Beato giving lessons in the middle of my room. That is a quite a far cry away from when I used to think as a teenager that there is some magic potion to great technique and knowledge and I don't have access to it.
                              Last edited by nexion218; 05-02-2020, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X