No announcement yet.

Site for amp diagnostics (instructions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site for amp diagnostics (instructions)

Is there a recommended site for amp diagnostics?

Finally cleared off the work bench and would like to troubleshoot a SS fender rumble combo that powers on with only the LED working, no sound.

I know enough to get myself hurt and frustrated and that’s about it. I can also paint by numbers if directions are clear.

Re: Site for amp diagnostics (instructions)

I only have links for tube amps, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
      I only have links for tube amps, sorry.
      No worries - but would the transformer diagnostics be similar? That’s my immediate wonder - is the transformer bad.

Comment

There's your first problem, it doesn't have a transformer, at least not an output transformer. May have a small step down transformer for the power supply.

Comment

Does anything look burnt on the board? A SS amp usually has a power FET burn up/overheat or a solder joint that fails.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
            There's your first problem, it doesn't have a transformer, at least not an output transformer. May have a small step down transformer for the power supply.
            First problem solved! Yeah, I meant that type of tranny. The changey power thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              Does anything look burnt on the board? A SS amp usually has a power FET burn up/overheat or a solder joint that fails.
              Will look for burnt offerings.

Comment

took it apart, didn't see anything obvious. decided to gut it and potentially put in a simple DIY amp.

——
                Update -

Tested speaker today - it works and sounds good with guitar. I had to pop out the dust cap by making a tiny pinhole with a thin wire but didn’t seem to harm it.

Ordered up one of these to potentially use in the cab. For the price, can’t really buy the parts that cheap and it’s already built. I have a 12v power supply that should work well with it.

FootNote Electric Guitar 5 Watt Amp Assembly - No Power SupplyThe FootNote amplifier module's main feature is a clean 5 watt amp with bass, treble, and volume control in a convenient form factor, but it doesn't stop there. With the FootNote, you also get a headphone output for private practice or listening, and an external speaker output to drive another speaker (4 ohm minimum impedance). But wait, there's more! You also get a line level output to feed your shredness directly to your mixing console, recorder, what have you. There is an auxiliary input for your iPod, smartphone, or other media device, so you can jam along with all your favorite tunes, AND, there's a super-handy cable tester built right in, so you never have to worry about bringing down the energy of your performance due to a bad cable.As if all that weren't already awesome enough, there is more. The FootNote operates on 9 VDC 2.1 x 5.5 mm tip negative plug, has an optional input for battery power, and has eight (8) DC power output jacks built in to power your effects pedals! Recomended power supply 120-060 .Snag one of these while you can. We have very limited quantities in stock, and once they're gone, they're gone!Specifications: • Amp module dimensions: 12" L x 3-1/2" H x 2-9/16" D • Cutout: 11-9/16" L x 2-5/8" H • Power output: 5 watts • Inputs: 1/4" guitar / pedal; 3.5 mm aux; 1/4" x 2 cable tester • Outputs: 1/4" line; 1/4" ext speaker; 8 x 3.5 mm 9 VDC (center negative polarity) • Controls: main power on/off; line out on/off; volume, bass, and treble • Power input: 9 VDC (AC adapter not included) • Power output: 9 VDC x 8 (center negative polarity).

It prob won’t fit horizontally in the front so I’ll prob put it vertical in the back after cutting the back panel.
                Last edited by DankStar; 05-02-2020, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Which Rumble?
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    Which Rumble?
                    It was a rumble 15. Quick search led to others with similar problem. Advice from most was to keep the cab and speaker and start over. I kept the faceplate/metal housing in case I want to make a little something to go in there in the future.

For some reason I thought the speaker would sound like crap with guitar but I like it.

I have absolutely no use for another amp but I like these dumb little projects.
                    Last edited by DankStar; 05-02-2020, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X