X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The weird pedal you can’t live without

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    We know!
    In all seriousness, what does the Keeley model do? Altered tone or just less noise?

The way Demanic goes on about it, my best guess is that it replaces all the guts of the MT-2 with a tubescreamer. :P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Have you compared this version to the models in some multi-effects? I agree...nothing quite sounds like a Dimension pedal.
      I don't think there are that many? I have only tried the one in the Line 6 HX Effects, which is supposedly the same as was used in their DM4 units. It is too dark, and lacks the shimmer and detail of the original. The same goes for the TC Electronic version.

I have not tried the newest Fractal units, which supposedly have a cool version of it, nor the Fromel Seraph.
      Last edited by Sirion; 05-05-2020, 07:16 AM.

Comment

My understanding (coming from a Boss employee, so grain of salt), is that the other knockoff pedals are just very slow stereo chorus effects and lack the true modulation of the DC-2. For the digital recreations, I can see it being a direct reproduction of the “algorithm”, but due to analog BBD vs digital DSP differences, a small sonic difference could exist.

An interesting thing, the CE-5 and CH-1 were converted to digital 15 years ago or so, but all they did was replace the BBD with a digital delay and left the rest of the circuit as it was, they actually sound remarkable close.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

This is a great thread, lots of cool pedals here.

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I use a big box small stone all the time that I modded with a switchable univibe mode. Yes, there's a volume drop when you kick it on (helped a lot by running a compressor after it). Yes, it's noisy (hindered by running a compressor after it :P ). But the thing just sounds amazing, both clean and with gain. Does weird fast pulsing warbles, subtle phasing, and some really nice univibey sounds. I like it really early in my pedal chain, it's the second pedal I run after fuzz.
          I love the tone of the old big box Small Stone. Great alternative tone to a Phase 90.

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
          I always keep Worm in front of amp for a boost. Tremolo setting allows exp controllable boost that's sounds just perfect to me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104626[/ATTACH]

It's also pretty noisy, and not perfect as a modulation effect. But that manually sweepable tremolo (and also phaser) makes it worth it. It's brilliant feature.
          I’ve got the Wigger, I think it’s the same just with a tube. Such chewy, cool modulation in that box that’s pretty unique.

Originally posted by d2718 View Post
          I understand about the adapter plugs for DOD pedals being a pain, but that beat-up METAL X pedal looks rad.

I guess since we started with one of those DOD Jason Lamb-series pedals, I'll submit this

It can get really unsubtle--deep, fast, and bright, with a weird LFO shape (maybe a sawtooth?)--and it's been in my live stable almost 20 years now.
          That’s a really cool sounding chorus...
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            My understanding (coming from a Boss employee, so grain of salt), is that the other knockoff pedals are just very slow stereo chorus effects and lack the true modulation of the DC-2. For the digital recreations, I can see it being a direct reproduction of the “algorithm”, but due to analog BBD vs digital DSP differences, a small sonic difference could exist.

An interesting thing, the CE-5 and CH-1 were converted to digital 15 years ago or so, but all they did was replace the BBD with a digital delay and left the rest of the circuit as it was, they actually sound remarkable close.
            I actually learnt of the latter point just the other day. I guess the only place it'll really matter is in a parallell loop. As for the DC-2, there is something technical that separates it from just about anything else. I have followed the discussions on the Eventide forums, and apparently even the Eventide H9 is incapable of emulating it. I'd be very interested to hear of any experiences from Fractal users, though. Even if I'm unlike to by an Axe-FX, them getting it right and Boss reissuing the pedal might spur others on to greater efforts!

Comment

We know!
              In all seriousness, what does the Keeley model do? Altered tone or just less noise?
              Less noise, two additional channels, super bass and triple rectifier. The tone knobs are a lot more sensitive and I'm pretty sure that they add an extra gain stage.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

That's the thing- I like chorus, but it sounds out-of-tune to me. The Dimension doesn't sound that way, like it is a chorus but with very little wavering.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                  Less noise, two additional channels, super bass and triple rectifier. The tone knobs are a lot more sensitive and I'm pretty sure that they add an extra gain stage.
                  Is it actually three channels, or does the switch just change a couple caps and resistors?
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by d2718 View Post
                    I understand about the adapter plugs for DOD pedals being a pain, but that beat-up METAL X pedal looks rad.

I guess since we started with one of those DOD Jason Lamb-series pedals, I'll submit this

It can get really unsubtle--deep, fast, and bright, with a weird LFO shape (maybe a sawtooth?)--and it's been in my live stable almost 20 years now.
                    Yeah, at this point it’s almost 30 years old (it was actually my first pedal) and getting harder to find on the gear sites should anything happen to it.

Those DOD choruses were very cool. I always preferred a brighter sound and they cover a lot of sonic range.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      That's the thing- I like chorus, but it sounds out-of-tune to me. The Dimension doesn't sound that way, like it is a chorus but with very little wavering.
                      I think a lot of people feel the same way, and that’s why the reissue has been so successful and is seen so many places. It’s an awesome way to creat a stereo field without the heavy wobble of chorus or the ping pong of stereo delay.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The DC-2w is a phenomenal pedal, but it really shines for synth and keys.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Nsatke81 View Post
                          Yeah, at this point it’s almost 30 years old (it was actually my first pedal) and getting harder to find on the gear sites should anything happen to it.

Those DOD choruses were very cool. I always preferred a brighter sound and they cover a lot of sonic range.
                          DOD Chorus pedals are great. I had the Ice Box, the earlier powder-blue Stereo Chorus (FX-60?) and the Digitech Chorus Factory. All sounded great until I moved to mostly multi-effects.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                            Is it actually three channels, or does the switch just change a couple caps and resistors?
                            I used the term "channels" for want of a better one. It has a three pole mini toggle that changes something internal. Might be caps and resistors. Could be additional diodes too.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds fun! I'd love to give that a spin around the block and I'm probably not the only one.

Comment

Sounds fun! I'd love to give that a spin around the block and I'm probably not the only one.
                                There's probably a good sound demo on the Keeley website. I've also got plenty of video and audio clips. Probably not as good though.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X