Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stool or chair for playing

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    Well, I guess that that's the next level.
    I look forward to the day when I can play anything while holding a conversation about nothing related to what I am playing.
    A long way forward, indeed.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    Well, I didn't say I did that or a conversation was the goal, or even say I was good at it -but I definitely want consistent freedom of movement on the fretboard without studying and shoegazing the fretboard while I'm playing a gig.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      Ha -I remember that - I thought it was Robert Fripp, but I could be wrong. Mincer will know if I'm right.
      Even if you said the guys name I probably wouldn’t remember who he was. Lol

Comment

Ha -I remember that - I thought it was Robert Fripp, but I could be wrong. Mincer will know if I'm right.
        Fripp has always played sitting down since 1969. I've done tons of gigs sitting, too. I use the Gator stool with the back that ehdwuld posted above. It works fine, but won't last. It doesn't fold well, and it isn't as heavy duty as a drum throne. Good for the living room, but not in the back of a van for gigging.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You need not pay this much for one, but these or the like work fine. I use an older one that's been around forever. No padding on it, but if buying new, I might get padding. They fold up, they're durable, they'e not over-engineered, they don't have arms to get in the way.

https://www.modernofficefurniture.com/vipastfoch.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopp ing&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm _campaign=&utm_creative=416851518916&gclid=EAIaIQo bChMIsefW0_Kk6QIVjh6tBh0QawSrEAQYECABEgK7TvD_BwE

Click image for larger version

Name:	vinyl-padded-steel-folding-chair-300-lb-capacity-156.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	5819040
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-08-2020, 12:31 PM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
            You need not pay this much for one, but these or the like work fine. I use an older one that's been around forever. No padding on it, but if buying new, I might get padding. They fold up, they're durable, they'e not over-engineered, they don't have arms to get in the way.

https://www.modernofficefurniture.com/vipastfoch.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopp ing&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm _campaign=&utm_creative=416851518916&gclid=EAIaIQo bChMIsefW0_Kk6QIVjh6tBh0QawSrEAQYECABEgK7TvD_BwE

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104733[/ATTACH]
            I've actually got several of these in the building I use for cookouts, etc. Hadn't even thought about it. I'm going to try these, a drum throne, my wife's office chair, and whatever else I can get my hands on to see what works and is most comfortable. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
            "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
              I linked one from amazon like that in post #16
              Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              -=The Dali
              --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
                Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Yours look much nicer though
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by v8stang289 View Post
                  I've actually got several of these in the building I use for cookouts, etc. Hadn't even thought about it. I'm going to try these, a drum throne, my wife's office chair, and whatever else I can get my hands on to see what works and is most comfortable. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
                  My only issue with these types of chairs is that the cheap pop metal they are made from snaps at the crimps pretty regularly -I've sat down on one before with a guitar and the chair either twists and breaks or snaps at once and I go back first into the ground clutching my guitar.

and I'm not fat but I am tall and heavier than the average dude, so I don't know if others have had this happen....

looks like the one he posted may be a stronger version -so that may do the trick.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Have a wooden stool that I use at Church. Have played 4 to 5 hours without a break at times so---.
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Depending of the wood...
                      Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Now seriously : for me anywhere. This includes sitting on the floor, on a bed, a chair (bit no armchair !) or standing helding the guitar on a knee and the foot on whatever...

Remember it is good to also practise standing. If you play in in a band you stand (with some exceptions like Robert Fripp for example).

Stool choice is more important to pianists actually (think of Glenn Gould).
                        Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

My only issue with these types of chairs is that the cheap pop metal they are made from snaps at the crimps pretty regularly -I've sat down on one before with a guitar and the chair either twists and breaks or snaps at once and I go back first into the ground clutching my guitar.

and I'm not fat but I am tall and heavier than the average dude, so I don't know if others have had this happen....

looks like the one he posted may be a stronger version -so that may do the trick.
                          I don't know the quality of that one I posted. I was just illustrating the basic design.

The one I have is built very well. I can't imagine it breaking unless pitched off a skyscraper or smashed at with a sledgehammer.

With better build comes more weight, of course. But even so, I wouldn't call a nice one "heavy" by any means.

They're very common yard sale or swap meet chairs. Probably the older they are, the better built they are, in general...and old ones will be cheap. To get a brand new one of comparable quality, it will probably be many dollars in comparison (and you can't even get a proper feel for the quality until it arrives in the mail).

I always referred to them as "Samsonite folding metal chairs," but I'm not sure if Samsonite is actually the originator of that design.
                          Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-11-2020, 12:16 PM.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                            I don't know the quality of that one I posted. I was just illustrating the basic design.

The one I have is built very well. I can't imagine it breaking unless pitched off a skyscraper or smashed at with a sledgehammer.

With better build comes more weight, of course. But even so, I wouldn't call a nice one "heavy" by any means.

They're very common yard sale or swap meet chairs. Probably the older they are, the better built they are, in general...and old ones will be cheap. To get a brand new one of comparable quality, it will probably be many dollars in comparison (and you can't even get a proper feel for the quality until it arrives in the mail).

I always referred to them as "Samsonite folding metal chairs," but I'm not sure if Samsonite is actually the originator of that design.
                            I have seen those chairs take a beating on WWE week after week without failing
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I practice standing, too...but when I sit, I use a strap as well, and the guitar doesn't rest on my leg- this is so my back can remain straight. When I stand up, the guitar is in the same place on my body, and the angles of the wrists and arms are all the same...I don't want to learn 2 ways to hold my body.
                              Solo instrumental shows (and duo shows) are sitting, band shows are standing.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I prefer a chair, but one without arms.

Comment

Working...
                                X