Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with HH wiring in Ibanez S-series

Originally posted by RexRemus View Post
    Oh no, never even touched that, I'm saying when I have the 5-positon towards the neck, it's actually the bridge pickup selected ��

I just wanted to test only the bridge before getting into the neck wiring
    Hmm, I thought I posted the below about an hour ago, but it's not showing up, so again: your interpretation about the "box" being the switch side is correct. It turns out the pre-existing diagram I worked from has the whole switch turned around backwards. Good thing you decided to test just the bridge pickup wiring first.

As for the 3DPT switch you have versus the 2DPT switch depicted, the wiring as drawn will work just fine. You will just end up with an unused "column" of lugs.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Alright, on a whim, I just swapped the north start and N/S finish wires to the opposite side common terminals and switching works exactly as it should. So I'm assuming if I just flip the neck to the other side as well things should "work"?

One thing I did notice - I'm testing this by just tapping the poles on the bridge pickup and when it's in a split mode I still get some signal from the "dead" coil. It's not a lot, it's much quieter than the "live" one, but it is definitely not zero. I don't know if that's normal or if it indicates and issue with grounding or something else. Thoughts?
      Whenever I have done the tap-test, my experience matches yours: i.e. it's more of "A is louder than B" phenomenon than "I hear A but none of B". So i don't think you have anything to worry about.
      Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 05-10-2020, 08:19 PM.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thanks Jack, hoping to finish it tonight. So, all I did was swap commons from "bottom" to "top" for the bridge on the diagram you sent. I didn't " reverse"anything else but when going through positions everything was right - inner coil on 2, outer coil on 4 (bleed issues mentioned above aside) - so do I actually need to "reverse" everything? Or can I just move the 2 "outs" from the mini-switch to the "bottom" of the EP1112 per the diagram and it should be good?

Apologies for so many questions, it's just... Confusing and this is my first attempt at anything like this and I was too stupid to pick something easy to do ��

Comment

Thanks Jack, hoping to finish it tonight. So, all I did was swap commons from "bottom" to "top" for the bridge on the diagram you sent. I didn't " reverse"anything else but when going through positions everything was right - inner coil on 2, outer coil on 4 (bleed issues mentioned above aside) - so do I actually need to "reverse" everything? Or can I just move the 2 "outs" from the mini-switch to the "bottom" of the EP1112 per the diagram and it should be good?

Apologies for so many questions, it's just... Confusing and this is my first attempt at anything like this and I was too stupid to pick something easy to do ��
          Reviewing that idea against the diagram, stand by...

Comment

Just finished sketching it out. Swap around *all 4* "outs" on the superswitch and it will work fine.

Comment

So tops to bottoms and bottoms to tops? That was the plan, so that's good news. Thank you for all of the help!

Comment

And no apologies needed on your part. Just on my part for not spotting earlier that the superswitch was depicted backwards. Looks like you are on the correct path to have it all sorted out. Let me know.

Comment

So tops to bottoms and bottoms to tops? That was the plan, so that's good news. Thank you for all of the help!
                  Yes. No thanks needed, sorry to not have this all buttoned up from the start.

Comment

Updated diagram bases on the issues described above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zcpp3lU.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	5819065

Comment

Update:

Have everything wired and it's mostly working as planned. When testing after setting up the neck, I found that by having it swapped I was getting outer/inner (or inner/outer) in the split positions. So I rotated it back to "normal" and got inners and outers. Upon stringing it up and playing through an actual amp, the split positions seem to not be noise-canceling - so I suspect perhaps something other than the commons needed to be flipped/reversed? When I flip the neck to parallel positions 2/4 ARE noise-canceling or maybe it's just that the output is low enough that it just sounds like it - it's midnight and I couldn't play loud enough to really check.

Aside from those oddities and from needing a lot of setup (didn't position pickups at proper height or anything yet, and need to readjust my trem, etc. etc. I'm pretty pleased with the tones coming out of it, while there's still some mud in certain positions it's nowhere near as much as I had with the stock mojotones, the bridge (Omega) is nice and crisp in a way the hornet bridge never was. The split positions sound good and maybe even better with the neck in parallel as I think that almost acts like a low-cut and cleans things up a bit. I need to do a lot more testing/playing but I'm pleased already with the changes.

I'll have to look over the new diagram and make sure everything is wired up properly but for now I'm not unhappy, it was the pickup orientation flip not being "correct" that threw me a little but I can't do any more work on it tonight. And honestly I might just want to leave it as-is since the parallel neck split positions actually sound pretty nice to me at first blush so I think I might prefer to have those be noise-canceling (as they are now) anyway since they'll probably see more use than the series config for those positions.

This was WAY more work than I'd have guessed, but definitely worth it. Just a few little things to shake out before I'm fully willing to call it done, but I'm pleased with the difference already upon first listen.
                      Last edited by RexRemus; 05-10-2020, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Rex,

The behavior you describe from the Neck pickup seems to suggest the possibility that the Neck pickup in that set came default from the factory as Reverse Wind Reverse Polarity (RWRP), although my internet searches to confirm that possibility have come up with nothing. Up to now, my understanding is they did not unless the customer specifically requested it snd ordering from the Custom Shop (except for Prails and maybe a couple othes). But first, could you compare your wiring work to the last diagram I posted? Particularly the left side of the superswitch.

I am going to start a separate thread in the forum and ask for clarification about whether Seymour Duncan humbucker sets come with the Neck as RWRP and let you know. [Edit]: here is a link to that new thread: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ucker-set-RWRP
                        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 05-11-2020, 05:28 AM.

Comment

While we await feedback on that new thread, do you own a compass or even a magnet with North and South marked? If yes, you can move it around each coil of each pickup and note the magnetic polarity of each coil. If you do this, let me know the results.

Comment

Rex, would you mind confirming that you used the Black colored wire on each pickup as North Start, and the Green colored wire on each pickup as South Start?

Thanks

Comment

Hey Jack, won't be able to really dig into this again until later but as far as my notes on the (initial) diagram I believe I had the color codes correct:

Click image for larger version

Name:	S-series color codes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	5819066

And while I can't say this moment I didn't somehow entirely "reverse" everything, I'm fairly sure I didn't - though with the reversed switch vs diagram... maybe I did haha but I believe per the original diagram I did everything as shown - aside from swapping the "outs" top to bottom and bottom to top. And even then I kept "switch side" and "pcb" side the same - was I supposed to invert those? I hope that makes sense I just swapped things "vertically" only, I did not "X" cross them when swapping tops to bottoms, etc.

I don't have a compass or a marked magnet handy - I realized yesterday it would have been damn nice to have had one or the other, I'll need to add that to the toolkit going forward. If there's another way to test (without pulling everything back out again (I'd love to avoid tearing everything apart entirely again if I can, for a while anyway till the PTSD wears off) then let me know and I'll try to determine polarities that way.

Once work ends for the day (this evening) I should be able to try and match things up against the new diagram and such again and I'll let you know.

Comment

Hey Jack, won't be able to really dig into this again until later but as far as my notes on the (initial) diagram I believe I had the color codes correct:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104781[/ATTACH]

And while I can't say this moment I didn't somehow entirely "reverse" everything, I'm fairly sure I didn't - though with the reversed switch vs diagram... maybe I did haha but I believe per the original diagram I did everything as shown - aside from swapping the "outs" top to bottom and bottom to top. And even then I kept "switch side" and "pcb" side the same - was I supposed to invert those? I hope that makes sense I just swapped things "vertically" only, I did not "X" cross them when swapping tops to bottoms, etc.

I don't have a compass or a marked magnet handy - I realized yesterday it would have been damn nice to have had one or the other, I'll need to add that to the toolkit going forward. If there's another way to test (without pulling everything back out again (I'd love to avoid tearing everything apart entirely again if I can, for a while anyway till the PTSD wears off) then let me know and I'll try to determine polarities that way.

Once work ends for the day (this evening) I should be able to try and match things up against the new diagram and such again and I'll let you know.
                                Rex,

Thanks for confirming about the color codes.

Correct - the wire swaps were supposed to be in the vertical dimension only, i.e. no X pattern. So you are all set in that regard.

After you compare your wiring in your control cavity to the latest diagram, if you don't see any misconnections or bad soldrr joints, could you post some pics of the wiring - particularly everything that is attached to that leftside a.k.a. "switch" side, set of poles -and pics showing where each of those wires is attached at the other end.

Hope you have a good day in the meantime.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X