pickup suggestions for PRS McCarthy 594 singlecut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup suggestions for PRS McCarthy 594 singlecut

this is a 2018 which came with the 58/15LT P/U's - it now has Duncan Antiquities in it - which sound good but this guitar has a lot of bass and low end which dominates the other frequency's - tried adjusting the height - the stk p/u's are gone and you can't buy them - looking for more clarity - talking about bridge p/u - neck is an antiquities and sounds fine. I have a sethlover bridge that I could try? would that help? thanks for any info/opinions

I play mostly classic rock/blues

Re: pickup suggestions for PRS McCarthy 594 singlecut

Try putting a roughcast Alnico 3 magnet in just the neck pickup. That's what I did in my PRS Singlecut with Antiquitys. Really cleans up the "woof" and the stock bridge Antiquity sounds great with it. Try it.

The other thing I did is remove the tone control from the neck pickup while leaving it connected to the bridge pickup. I like that too.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
      Try putting a roughcast Alnico 3 magnet in just the neck pickup. That's what I did in my PRS Singlecut with Antiquitys. Really cleans up the "woof" and the stock bridge Antiquity sounds great with it. Try it.

The other thing I did is remove the tone control from the neck pickup while leaving it connected to the bridge pickup. I like that too.
      yea the neck is fine its the bridge im fighting with.

Comment

Originally posted by jamme61 View Post
        yea the neck is fine its the bridge im fighting with.
        Oh. That's the opposite of my experience with my Singlecuts.

In mine, it was the neck pickup that I wanted to try to get a more transparent, clearer soloing and rhythm tone from.

Not that the neck Antiquity sounds muddy. It doesn't, and I left it alone in my other PRS.
        Last edited by Lewguitar; 05-06-2020, 08:45 AM.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Possibly a Full Shred or a Jazz bridge can stop the bass from getting overpowering. Don't be fooled by the name 'Full Shred', it solves a lot of 'bass too heavy' issues in many guitars.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Possibly a Full Shred or a Jazz bridge can stop the bass from getting overpowering. Don't be fooled by the name 'Full Shred', it solves a lot of 'bass too heavy' issues in many guitars.
            thanks I have a Jazz bridge I can try - my problem might be that I just got an SG and been playing that for about a week or two and just switched back to the PRS and it just felt to fat no bite in the bridge. have to figure this out could be corona madness

Comment

the seth or jazz will push you in the right direction, although its seldom i hear an antiquity bucker bridge is too fat. im guessing your recent sg acquisition is definitely influencing your hearing, not really bad or good, but its a thing for sure

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                the seth or jazz will push you in the right direction, although its seldom i hear an antiquity bucker bridge is too fat. im guessing your recent sg acquisition is definitely influencing your hearing, not really bad or good, but its a thing for sure
                yea im going to play this out a little bit before I start pulling pickups - thanks for the time on this.

Comment

You’re not gonna find the clarity the 58/15lt’s had In anything short of the custom shop from Duncan.

I have been tempted by the mojotone premium historic limited 59’s and some of the bkp sets like the mule or pg blues. Maybe for my Les Paul though, not for my prs.

I have 3 594’s. All are doublecuts, One sounds amazing with the 58/15lt’s. One I battled with adjusting the heights to get it sounding as good as the other one, but it’s just thinner and brighter in the bridge. Finally I got a 58/15 set non lt and put the 8.15k neck in the bridge. It’s pretty much perfect for it.

If not I would have put a 57/08 bridge in.

The prs pickups from the last 5 years are very good, on par with a lot of boutique level stuff. If I had a single cut I wasn’t happy with I would trade it towards a new 20 with the 58/15+ set and the tci tuned electronics.

Comment

I concur with the suggestion of a 57/08. They're bright, and remarkably well-defined & three-dimensional.
                    Perfect balance of crispness and warmth, and not too fat in the lows.

I think you'd find the Seth only marginally brighter than the Ant.

Jazz might do well here; certainly crisper and punchier than the Antiquity, less fullness in the low mids.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
                      You’re not gonna find the clarity the 58/15lt’s had In anything short of the custom shop from Duncan.

I have been tempted by the mojotone premium historic limited 59’s and some of the bkp sets like the mule or pg blues. Maybe for my Les Paul though, not for my prs.

I have 3 594’s. All are doublecuts, One sounds amazing with the 58/15lt’s. One I battled with adjusting the heights to get it sounding as good as the other one, but it’s just thinner and brighter in the bridge. Finally I got a 58/15 set non lt and put the 8.15k neck in the bridge. It’s pretty much perfect for it.

If not I would have put a 57/08 bridge in.

The prs pickups from the last 5 years are very good, on par with a lot of boutique level stuff. If I had a single cut I wasn’t happy with I would trade it towards a new 20 with the 58/15+ set and the tci tuned electronics.
                      Thanks - i just was able to buy the p/u's that should have come with the guitar 58/15LT very expensive $500 - the 57/08 sounds like a good pick for the bridge too - i'll report back I hope this does it
                      Last edited by jamme61; 05-07-2020, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Wow, those *are* expensive! What was so special about those? I've never tried them.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Also change to 500 kOhm pots.

Comment

Try some Dimarzio Transitions with a magnet swap. They're an amazing wind, and almost any magnet sounds good in them, but judging from the genres you like, I think an A3, A4, or especially the UOA5 will probably be the ticket for you.

The Pearly Gates might work nicely for you as well
                            Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                            Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                            Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                            Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                            Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                            Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                            Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                            Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                            Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                            PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Wow, those *are* expensive! What was so special about those? I've never tried them.
                              That’s a steal, I’ve seen sets going for $800.

The only way to get them is buy a $3500 guitar.

They sound like they were made to work in a $3500 guitar not just take up space. Paul has a very well trained ear and it’s just gotten better with time. Things like which tuners sound better and the tci process are all part of the current line for the 594. The tci process is a secret at the moment but ensure’s that each guitar being put together has the right components in the right spec to sound the way it should. None of the 1 out of 10 has some mojo, they all sound good.

I would put the 58/15 LT’s ahead of almost anything else on the market, if you haven’t tried a set your missing out.

Comment

Working...
                              X