PRS SE 24 Custom vs Fender Player Deluxe HSH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PRS SE 24 Custom vs Fender Player Deluxe HSH

The biggest difference to me is the location of the neck pickup. To me, it never sounds 'right' to me...you don't get that throaty, buttery thing in a 24 fret guitar. You may never have noticed or don't care, but that would absolutely discount the PRS for me.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hey, guy, thanks a TON for all the replies and great advice, I really appreciate it. So, not really trying to muddy the waters here, but check this out . . . I talked to a local shop, here, one of my favs, great selection, excellent service. They DO NOT have either of the Fender HSH OR the PRS SE 24, but . . . . they have a few Strat HSS's, AND they have a beautiful 2008 PRS Custom 22 Semi-Hollow body with double hummers in it. They are not open just yet, but . . . they gentleman I spoke with said the Custom 22 is both a gorgeous piece, it sounds Amazing, and it's definitely priced to sell. He does not think it has a coil tap for the pick-ups, but how hard would that be to add if I am able to get my hands on it for the price he quoted me??
      GIJoeJarhead
      Semi-Newb, still trying to learn as much as I can!!

RWG LP w/ SD JB/Jazz Combo
      Mitchel MD400 w/ SD Pearly Gate/Duckbucker combo
      HLK Southern Belle (Tele) w/SD 1/4 lb/Tele Pickup combo
      Fender Acoustic/Electric

Comment

push pull pots should be less than $20
        slightly more if you pay someone

on the other hand
        even if you dont want any of the guitars in stock

you will be able to get a good impression of how they hang
        and the way the necks feel

PRS has like five neck shapes

the Fenders should be pretty standard
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

You mean coil split, which is different than tapping. That is easy to add, and if that Custom 22 is a color you like and ergonomically works for you, that would be an amazing snag at a great price.

Comment

Cool, thanks, yes, that is what I was thinking. There is a guy here close who is an actual NAMM Certified Luthier, does some pretty amazing work, has a TON of connections, etc., etc., but the best part is he is not expensive, he did some work on my Tele and had it done in a few hours for $20.00!!!
            Yes, I mean coil split, meaning I can split either of the hummers, or both, with a 3 way switch and have single coils. I was quite impressed when I listened to that SE 24 with the coil split feature, I could really hear the single coil strat sound coming out of the PRS and then likity split (haha, pun intended), "click" and he has the crunchy growling humbuckers again.
            IF I can get that same crunchy growl out of the bridge pickup on an HSS Strat, with the "Oh so popular position 4" then . . . well, there I am. It may then absolutely come down to feel, and play-ability, aesthetics, and ultimately the cost. Anything under $1000.00 and I am obviously NOT getting an American Made for either, but I'm not hung up on that as long as it really feels and plays well.

IF . . . I can get into that Custom 22 for the price he quoted me, and I love how it feels, plays, AND I can add a coil tap for a really good price, I believe I will have a guitar that is really something to play, love, feel, etc.
            Last edited by GIJoeJarhead; 05-11-2020, 05:32 PM.
            GIJoeJarhead

Fender Acoustic/Electric

Comment

If you get it, come back with pics. I love the PRS Custom 22s.

Comment

Thanks A LOT . . . I'm actually super jazzed to see it, play it, feel it. IF all of the reviews, PRS Forums, side-by-side comparisons I have read and looked at over the last 3 days are anywhere near true, I have a feeling the PRS will be coming home with me next week. BUT . . . We'll see . . . the shop said it's in awesome shape and plays really well, but if I find an HSS that is simply butter, looks amazing and is priced right, well . . . .
                AH, love the conundrum of buying a new AX! LOL
                GIJoeJarhead

Fender Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Ok guys and dolls, here it is . . . .Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS SE Custom 22.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	5820680

My New to me PRS SE Custom 22 in Sapphire!!
                  It is really quite a stunner, the picture doesn't do it justice! Kudo's to ProAudioStar for my new Ax, she came double boxed with lots of padding, she was only Very Slightly out-of-tune, no biggie, and the guys at PAS were right, I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with this piece. No nicks, no blemishes, nothing, it DOES literally look brand new, but because the customer changed their mind, I got it for a used price BONUS for me!!!

Now to get down and play in through my Bugera . . . I'm beyond excited!!!
                  GIJoeJarhead

Fender Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Working...
                  X