I like dirt, and I need more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like dirt, and I need more!

I use dirt pedals, a wah, and not much else.... I have a delay pedal, and a couple modulation pedals. I’ve had multieffects units in the past. At the end of the day, I just never really use them, and they don’t stay on my board for long.

Any other dirt fiends out there? Any suggestions about what I get next?

What major flavors of dirt does a blues rock / hard rock / early metal guy need?

I’ve snapped a photo of the board im using the most often these days. I'm already thinking about getting a Klon style overdrive, like a Wampler Tumnus, as I don't really have anything like that just yet. Otherwise, I have multiple different flavors of dirt on tap, and I am wondering if there's another sound I'm missing.

Regarding the dirt circuits out there, Here's my thinking on what I own, use, and might get:
    Fuzzface style: check
    Tube screamer style: check
    Echoplex style: check
    Blues drive styler: check
    Compressor: check
    Klon style: possibly a wampler tumnus?
    Big muff style: I've owned big muff style circuits in the past, and I don't like them – I need those mids!
    RAT style: I own one. They're cool. I wouldn't use it that often though
    Marshall-style: my Blackstar does a good job of this. I also have a JHS AT-2, but I found it redundant once I started using this amp
    Transparent boost: I have a spark mini. It's a fantastic pedal, but I have so many stacking options right now that I don't need a 100% clean boost
    Dumble style: what does this even mean?

Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZizyPedalboard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	5853914
    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Re: I like dirt, and I need more!

what do you feel you are missing? if the answer is nothing, then get to playin

Comment

And just to clarify: The Blackstar DIRT channel is for Marshall?

Everything else is into a Clean Channel? For a REALLY varied set of things...

From cleanest to dirtiest - and by the way...gonna need a bigger board. I'll suggest two levels. Floor for dirt, tier two for swirl/delay/verb. Maybe a guest space for tryouts, etc...

#1 Go with that Spark for straight up clean Boost period - Check!
      #2 Get an Exotic RC Boost (Or Mooer Pure Clean) for clean boost plus gain/bas/treble variations
      #3 Ibanez TS9 - Check!
      #4 Boss WAZA Blues Driver on Modded for that Keeley tone

Now...right there you have clean, not quite clean, slightly dirty and dirtier, but still Overdrive. You can juice the TS9 or the Boss with anything before it for a tone/dirt change. OK, now for earl metal/Hard rock tones...into clean (I assume)

#5 Get a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret, or some kind of Marshall-in-a-box for basic 800 tone
      #8 Get a Fuzz of choice into clean for Fuzz - Check!

And when it is full on dirt time...
      #6 Blackstar dirt channel does Hot Rod Marshall (or Hotter-than-800) I assume for general Hard Rock/Metal - Check!
      #7 To take the dirt Channel to 11, get a Rat set for dirt. But remember...there are 4 other options less dirty than the Rat also...but set the sound how you want.

Ditch the compressor. You'll have more than enough sustain with all of that boost on tap. So that is 8 pedals across the front for infinite shades from louder to really effing louder. The combinations, when the drives/leves are set right are mind boggling.

Imagine the Uber-tight scream of the Blackstar hit by the Rat, that is being tightened like a skill in a vice by the Spark!!!!

Or, The BD2 Waza being tonally altered for a main solo by the RC Booster, then hit by the Screamer for an different Outro tone!!!!

Or hit that Dirty Little Secret with the Screamer for a totally different type / amount of dirt compared to the Blackstar itself!

Get an Analog delay or two and simple Reverb for the top floor Ambience (I like the Nano Grail, and AD9, Maybe an MXR for a different Delay setting...)
      Last edited by Aceman; 05-06-2020, 06:28 PM.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
        Klon style: possibly a wampler tumnus?
        May I suggest a Mosky Golden Horse. It sounds like and has the touch sensitivity of the Original Klon. They are great alone, for stacking gains, or use it like a boost to push your amp.

$17 - $19 including shipping.

Last edited by Securb; 05-06-2020, 07:20 PM.

Comment

By the way, the Prince of Tone is a pretty modified Blues Breaker, not a Blues Driver. Two different (and cool) pedals.

By the way that board looks great and other than cleaning it up and adding a delay I’d be very happy!
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            what do you feel you are missing? if the answer is nothing, then get to playin
            Jeremy, I need more. We all do. Always.
            Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
            Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
            Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
            Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
            Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
            Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
            Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
            Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
            Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
            PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

If you're wondering about dirt tones you don't have, well....

I'd say you're missing the dying 9volt fuzztone -Eagles of Death Metal, Ween, Flaming Lips use it a lot.

Maybe get a very versatile fuzz pedal -like a furry burrito or similar -it can do what 3-4 of your pedals do

When he adjusts the lighted nob at :42 -he's starving the circuit -selectable between 0 and 9 volts -although he adds an annoying wah to the sound

How about Octavefuzz too?
              Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-07-2020, 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

You lack a power supply that lets you vary the voltage, like an MXR ISO-brick.

Comment

For the Klon style, look at the BYOC Silver Pony, which is supposedly a 1:1 copy. A Soul Food isn't exact, but it is close.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You don't have a DOD Boneshaker. They can go from a clean boost to fuzz, have a semi-parametric 3-band EQ, and can be had for dirt cheap.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Here. This'll give you enough.

Though I'd only recommend it if you can get a (possibly used) deal on it. There is just no way in hell it is worth it's asking price, but for around 100 USD it is as good as it gets. At least for me.

Comment

Get the Tumnus or Tumnus Deluxe. Have the smaller Tumnus into my Marshall and love it. Gives the dirt channel a bit more and gives the clean channel a bit more grit.
                        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                        Jackson Soloist 7 string
                        ESP LTD M-400
                        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I suggest a Boss OD-3. Josh from JHS described it in a video as "like more of a refined Tubescreamer". Circuitwise, this might be true, but I disagree soundwise. The tone and drive controls both have a lot of range. It has a much different tonal signature.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok, thirteen posts in, I have to say it: Keeley modded Metalzone.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              Ok, thirteen posts in, I have to say it: Keeley modded Metalzone.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                              It's only because we all respectfully reserve your hallowed place on SDUGF to present all things Metalzone.
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X