Explorer, Custom or Super Distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer, Custom or Super Distortion?

I have an Epi Korina Explorer, and I'm trying to decide on a bridge pickup.

Currently has a JB but I'm just not liking it, darker sounding than I want and adjusting it I just can't get a sound I like.

I'll mainly play 80's to early 90's metal and hard rock.

I'm strongly considering a SD Custom or a Dimarzio Super Distortion based on my experiences with them in my other guitars.

What do you guys reccomend? My only caveat is that I want a gold cover to match the neck pickup and hardware.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Re: Explorer, Custom or Super Distortion?

That would be a tough choice for me. the super distortion (to my ears) is a little brighter than the Duncan Custom but I’d take the Custom.

Couldn’t promise it wouldn’t come down to a coin flip though
    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

I just put a Custom in my LP. After some adjustment I absolutely love it.
      I used a SD in the same guitar a few years ago and liked that as well. But if you’re making me choose I’d go with the Custom.

Comment

500k pots?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          500k pots?
          Yeah
          "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Well, first of all Korina is the color. God only knows what wood they used for real, and the quality of it.

If a JB is too Dark, I doubt you'll love the SuperD. I say go for the Custom. It will be brighter, and maybe be a better all around pickup[ for what you are playing...
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Well, first of all Korina is the color. God only knows what wood they used
              The color is actually black. It's supposed to actually be "some" type of korina. Though it's probably 40 pieces glued together.

The Custom is the way i was leaning, though I do like the SD in my RR5.

Comment

I've been rocking a Custom / Jazz set in my Explorer since 2003:
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I say a Custom or Custom 5. One becomes the other with a magnet swap, and it sounds like either of them would be up your alley.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I put a Rebel Yell set in one of my korina Explorers and it absolutely smokes. Also cleans up nicely to a delicate PAF-ish flavor. Sort of straddles the line between vintage and modern.

I like this set a lot, and it cuts nicely enough to suit the meaty voice of the Explorer very, very well.
                    Not supertight chunk in the lows though; it definitely has alnico feel.
                    Totally nails classic rock but for metal I think the Custom might suit the OP better.

Regarding the Epiphone korinas, I have one of those too. Bodies really are korina, but not solid. Multipiece with veneer on tops and backs.
                    A less lively and bouncy feel than solid korina, but they have a bit of the distinctive korina snap in their tone I think.
                    Unlike the Gibson Heritage version which is all korina, on the Epi korina series the necks are mahogany.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Made my decision, hope to get it installed sometime this week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-184721134.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	5819143

Comment

You won’t be disappointed.
                        Now that I’ve had my Custom installed for a few weeks. I LOVE it.
                        Dare I say possibly the best bridge pickup I have had in my LP.

Comment

Looking forward to the review
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                            I just put a Custom in my LP. After some adjustment I absolutely love it.
                            I used a SD in the same guitar a few years ago and liked that as well. But if you’re making me choose I’d go with the Custom.
                            I recently put a Screamin' Demon 8 back in my LP, and I was about to post a thread about how great it is after having done the same with at least the Custom and the 59 in the past. I guess I just really like either new stuff or Seymour stuff or both. Hard to go wrong.

Comment

Finally installed the Custom yesterday... Holy cow this thing rocks! I'm not really good at describing pickups, but It's exactly what I was looking for. Crisper and more defined/less flubby on the lows when palm muting. This guitar is a bit darker than my others and the Custom really woke it up.

I tried to A/B the sound but my recording setup currently sucks and the result wasn't worth trying to post (currently trying to rectify this issue)

Comment

Working...
                              X