Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What makes a Squire "Affinity" bass "Affinity"

Mojo's Minions

Default Re: What makes a Squire "Affinity" bass "Affinity"

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Tonally or playing?
    Tonally, but they played just fine too -these were brand new Tele and a Bass Affinity -so you could feel the difference because they were not played in at all, they were lighter, bodies maybe 1/8". inch thinner, frets crowns were spankin' new, fret ends were not worn etc etc

I bet with a few months of playing their tip top -I'm back in that studio in June and will bump this thread and let you know.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Tonally, but they played just fine too -these were brand new Tele and a Bass Affinity -so you could feel the difference because they were not played in at all, they were lighter, bodies maybe 1/8". inch thinner, frets crowns were spankin' new, fret ends were not worn etc etc

I bet with a few months of playing their tip top -I'm back in that studio in June and will bump this thread and let you know.
    I can believe it tonally. Based on my limited experience I’d be shocked if I couldn’t tell my Squier from my more expensive Fenders. The nut width alone is big, but I guess if you prefer the narrow nut width it might be preferable?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    I can believe it tonally. Based on my limited experience I’d be shocked if I couldn’t tell my Squier from my more expensive Fenders. The nut width alone is big, but I guess if you prefer the narrow nut width it might be preferable?
    Yeah, there's no doubt in the difference when you feel it, but if the Affinity was played in, the neck scotch brited, the frets worn a bit -there would certainly be people who prefer those affintiy differences -like the neck profile, weight, and fretboard radius, width and taper etc.

Personally, 50s and a lot of 60s Vintage stuff feels chunky and gross more often to me -especially 7" radius, nuts with mid 30s width etc. Early Fenders radii, Rickenbacker and especially Mostrite neck profiles are great examples of what feels gross to me.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    are the bodies thinner than normal? they were on the guitars back in the day, no idea if that has changed
    Pretty sure there's still a slight difference.

I got a Squier Vintage Modified '77 Jazz a few weeks ago. Maple body, maple neck & board, pearl inlays, some sort of Fender designed pickups. It's an absolute delight to play, sets up however you like with very little effort, and sounds awesome. I have really light Rotosounds on it right now (35-95), and all the J bass sounds are there. I got it with ultra-dead Rotosounds, and it was straight Motown. It's 100% stock, and though I'll probably replace the bent-steel with a Hipshot bridge of some sort, and the tuners with lighter ones, it's fine as-is.

In comparison to the Squier Affinity bass, this thing may as well be a handbuilt boutique instrument. If I needed another Fender style bass, I wouldn't hesitate to look at another VM or Classic Vibe. Big no thanks on the crap-neck Affinities, though.
    "Patience is key. Hard work is obligatory. And it’s the decisions you make right now, not the habits of the past, that will shape your success in the future." - Janek Gwizdala

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    I'll probably replace the bent-steel with a Hipshot bridge of some sort
    If you're looking for a good, inexpensive upgrade the Gotoh 201 sounds great for about half the price of a Hipshot. longcat and I have one on a Yamaha RBX fretless.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.