banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lock Down Strat Project. Could this pick up pairing work ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock Down Strat Project. Could this pick up pairing work ?

I have a partscaster laying around for way tooo long.

I only need pick ups to make this project done and dusted.
    Could this pick up pairing setup work ?

[B] Twang Banger / [M] Quarter Pound / [N] Quarter Pound

Bridge - https://www.seymourduncan.com/single...osition=bridge

Middle & Neck - https://www.seymourduncan.com/single...a_position=set

I am just not sure if the neck and middle might over power the 'weaker' Twang Banger bridge.
    Maybe a noticeable volume difference ?
    Any thoughts on this ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Strat pick up config question.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	5853916
    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Re: Lock Down Strat Project. Could this pick up pairing work ?

Might get some interesting tones with ithe TB in n or m posi.

Comment

Thing is, the Quarter Pounds are a lot louder than the Twang Banger. So you will have to either live with the balance being off, or set the QPs really low. Also, they are quite a bit darker than the TB so there is a big EQ difference, too.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Putting the Twangbanger in the middle might be interesting.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

thats what i was thinkin too, put the tb in the middle. in the bridge, it will be over powered by the neck and bridge and probably sound pretty thin as well. with a qp in the bridge, you should be able to adjust the heights of the other pups so its some what balanced. hell, the tb in the neck would work too if you wanted to try something different. also depends on if you use the middle pup by itself

Comment

mmmmmm . . . never thought of trying it in the Middle pos.

Food for thought.

Comment

ALTERNATIVE : ...will the be possible to order a Custom Twang Banger that will be 'loud' enough to compete with the Quarter Pounds, or will you loose the Tele-vibe of the Twang Banger, when you start to alter it's formula ?

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post
                I have a partscaster laying around for way tooo long.

I only need pick ups to make this project done and dusted.
                Could this pick up pairing setup work ?

[B] Twang Banger / [M] Quarter Pound / [N] Quarter Pound

Bridge - https://www.seymourduncan.com/single...osition=bridge

Middle & Neck - https://www.seymourduncan.com/single...a_position=set

I am just not sure if the neck and middle might over power the 'weaker' Twang Banger bridge.
                Maybe a noticeable volume difference ?
                Any thoughts on this ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104706[/ATTACH]
                I did a strat years ago with all Quarter Pounder pickups , absolutely badass guitar .
                I regret ever selling it and may build another strat with that combo again .
                Last edited by JB6464; 05-08-2020, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post
                  ALTERNATIVE : ...will the be possible to order a Custom Twang Banger that will be 'loud' enough to compete with the Quarter Pounds, or will you loose the Tele-vibe of the Twang Banger, when you start to alter it's formula ?
                  My thought is that if you add windings to it, you'll lose the Tele-ness. The Twang Banger works well with the SSL-1 or -2, not so great with the QPs.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If you go to the Custom Shop and tell them what you want, they'll let you know if they can do it, I'm sure they won't just simply add more windings on it, they've got plenty of tricks up their sleeves over there.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Will it work? Of course it will!

It wouldn't work for me and for 99.9% of other Strat players, but for that 0.1% it might work perfectly.

You might just be that 0.1 %. Try it and see. If it seems like the Twngbanger is just too thin and weak in the bridge, try it in the neck (that's where I'd be inclined to put it if I were only concerned with output) and adjust heights.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

i think the tb in the middle with the neck qp set like damn near flush with the pickguard and bridge set to rock height could be pretty cool

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
                          I did a strat years ago with all Quarter Pounder pickups , absolutely badass guitar .
                          I regret ever selling it and may build another strat with that combo again .

That is deff another option.
                          Just Quarter Pounds all through

Comment

What do you want it to sound like? Why stuck on the QP/TB recipe? What kind of music? What amp?

Comment

I love the Quarter Pounds in the neck and middle positions. Lower the QPs a little and/or raise the TB. Or get Custom Shop models wound to your specs.

I usually keep my middle pickup pretty low so my pick doesn't hit it. I ordered a CS set of QPs for my S/S/S G&L Legacy. The middle QP was wound for more output so the power doesn't drop out as much when lowered, and I got the neck QP degaussed and calibrated to the middle so it's slightly underwound than normal. I use a Little Screamin' Demon in the bridge.

Comment

Working...
                              X