Volume suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume suggestions

So recently my wife has been complaining I play guitar too loudly. Living in a townhouse I try to keep the amp at low volume but apparently not low enough for her.

Its a 50 Marshall Jubilee, which has a Master Volume which I try to keep that and the other volume no higher than 2.

What I need some help with is better volume control so I can not hear her complain so much. By the way, room I play in is on a different floor and side of the house from where she is watching tv.

I know there are some options available to me, attenuators, power soaks, volume pedal in the fx loop, JHS has the Lil Black box, smaller amp, etc

With all that said Id like to keep some of that full room sound, even at the lower volume Im playing and make her happy, (I know, hard to do) what would be some of my best options? Is there a way I can add a headphone option? Highly unlikely she would go for a smaller amp at the time.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Re: Volume suggestions

the JHS and Volume Pedal are the same thing
    both put a pot in the FX loop

probably the cheapest, and easiest to try first

a good expensive attenuator will cost as much as a smaller amp
    gotta weigh it out
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The one thing I read about the JHS pedal is its the only thing that can be in the loop, does that same with the volume pedal.

Another option I looked at is the EHX 5mm power amp pedal, its a 2.5 watt power amp in a pedal. Id have to completely bypass the Marshall head to do this.

Added to keeping the wofe happy, trying to keep this inexpensive as possible.
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400

Comment

yeah, i think a volume pot in the loop is the cheapest/effective way to go. weber has a 50w attenuator with headphone output if you wanted to go that way, im guessing there are others too

Comment

I've never run my Jubilee with the lead master on 2, so I figured I'd give it a try. Honestly I was surprised by how little difference it made in terms of overall volume. The cheapest option is simply to turn down, but I could see why you wouldn't want to as my Jubilee sounds pretty lousy at house-friendly volumes. My Mini Jubilee does a much better job, to the point that I only really use the 2555 in rooms where I actually need the extra volume. I wouldn't bother with an attenuator as they don't sound that great, and a volume box would be a waste of money since the Jubilee's output master is after the loop.

If you need to be completely silent, there are a few options ranging from DIY to expensive (probably overkill). The best sound quality would be something like a Two Notes Torpedo Live and a good pair of headphones. The amp would be totally silent in the room, but you'd have an emulated cabinet via IR in your headphones. The downside is that a Torpedo live runs about $800. A cheaper option would be a THD Hot Plate or similar load box with one of those cheap IR pedals. It wouldn't sound quite a good, but should be usable. You could also get a 2525H & ported 1x12; they sound virtually identical to the 2555 & 4x12 in FOH without being so crazy loud or heavy.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

cheap used modeling pedal into headphones = happy wife
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
              cheap used modeling pedal into headphones = happy wife
              This is the unfortunate answer.

Also tube amps barely cracked open are like the proverbial dragster used for a grocery run...
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Doesnt have to be silent, but she also doesnt want tobturn the volume up the tv louder than ahe alreadybdoes nor hear it on the 1st when Im on the 3rd floor.

May have to look into something like a Katana or something along those lines
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Send me your jubilee and I'll send you a katana and headphones. Better than having an unhappy wife.
                  I'm just trying to help out...
                  Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Also just start stapling huge blankets up on every surface.

Quiet the room down a bit.
                    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Inlike your blanket idea over the other idea. Some how I feel Id get the short end of the stick
                      Jackson Soloist 7 string
                      ESP LTD M-400

Comment

I'm sure that he'd pay all the shipping.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

That being said, I was just playing my Randall RH-200 head through a 2x12 with a Metalzone in front, master volume @about 11:00 with my wife watching TV about 15' away in the living room with no complaints.
                          At least none that I heard.

Comment

Just keep turning it up until it's wide open. You get to keep the full room sound, the amp will sound great, and you won't be able to hear your wife complaining any more. No down sides.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                              Just keep turning it up until it's wide open. You get to keep the full room sound, the amp will sound great, and you won't be able to hear your wife complaining any more. No down sides.
                              Until you go to sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X