Volume suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Volume suggestions

The simple solution would be too cut the mids so the sound can't travel through the walls as efficiently. And then get a fan, dehumidifier, etc that constantly makes noise at the same frequency as the guitar to mask it. It doesn't have to be loud, but it just has to be enough.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
      What I need some help with is better volume control so I can not hear her complain so much.
      To not hear her complain so much, master on 10, gain on 10, volume on 10.

To not have her complain so much, proper active load attenuator (like a Weber MASS) or different amp.

Comment

Reactive load +impulses. Can be anything from silent using headphones or lower than conversation to really loud using speakers
        Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
        WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
        http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Originally posted by Toe-Knee View Post
          Reactive load +impulses. Can be anything from silent using headphones or lower than conversation to really loud using speakers
          a good reactive load box costs more than a smaller amp
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

They can but there are cheaper options like the two notes captor at £179

Or if someone is handy with a soldering iron they can build one for about £60-80
            Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
            WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
            http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
              I bought the TedWeber.com elements for $30 or so each. Not sure though if they sell these separate these days.
              I think the full assembled unit, but without phones out, was around $100 then(almost 15 years ago).

I have 2 of those motor winding kind, up to 50W, recommended continuous load 25W max, and then a Radial JDX DI box over that, which emulate 2x12" cabinet(not sure if that model is still there, but suspect some other model replace it).
              Very, very pleased with result.

Radial JDX-48, similar to mine
              The JDX48 is an amplifier DI box which connects between the amp head and a speaker cabinet, capturing the tone of your amp without the need for a microphone.

When just playing around I do that into Mackie 402VLZ mixer with phones. Otherwise into preamp and computer.
              Last edited by Larioso; 05-08-2020, 10:05 AM.

Comment

I never found reactive load boxes to sound better than small amps. Especially over headphones.Again it is the right tool for the job.There are lots of small modelers that sound excellent over headphones or at low volume/
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

But in the end - if you play through your regular amp or not is a major difference, I think.
                  So if you want close to regular amp performance is the idea.

Want to find various settings what to use on your amp - with your pedals - then ready for live action, kind of.

It's such an intimate relationship electric guitar and amp - that is your total instrument.

Just a practise amp - anything will do. Even play acoustic only.

So looking at OP original problem I might go for attenuator style.

Comment

If you can find a distortion pedal you like, you can run the amp clean at reasonable volume then run the dirt box at whisper quiet volume.

I know a guy who runs an OCD into a Hiwatt, he always has the OCD at BELOW unity volume for rehearsals and live gigs. Totally consistent sound at any volume and he has a damn good tone.

I used to do it that way for home playing.

Comment

I would build a small cabin for the amp, especially if you also record your playing.

Kinda ugly in the room, but a good solution sound-wise. The inside of the box probably has better acoustics than you actual room (apologies of you indeed treated your room).

Comment

Ear plugs for the wife?
                        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                          If you can find a distortion pedal you like, you can run the amp clean at reasonable volume then run the dirt box at whisper quiet volume.

I know a guy who runs an OCD into a Hiwatt, he always has the OCD at BELOW unity volume for rehearsals and live gigs. Totally consistent sound at any volume and he has a damn good tone.

I used to do it that way for home playing.
                          This is good advice
                          I used to use an OCD copy into a Marshall DSL50 head and a 1x12 and it sounded... Decent at late night volumes

I did eventually switch to a smaller amp that was a little warmer at low volumes but this is probably the easiest way to get decent low volume tone without spending a bunch

Comment

Thanks guys for the help. Been messing around the past few days and thought hmmm there is a hollow core door on the room Im in, so hung a blanket up on the door and according to the wife, it has helped a lot but I also tweaked the volume knobs a bit. Not the room filling tone we all love but did find pushing the amp with my Tumnus helps a lot at the lower volume. Quest isnt quite over yet but for now it works. I may just end up looking at a small amp or even something like the Orange Terror Stamp or EHX 5MM.
                            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                            Jackson Soloist 7 string
                            ESP LTD M-400
                            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Just a touch of delay and reverb helps give a sense of space when playing at home

Comment

Yep have those added as well. May be exactly what sound Im looking for, but for now, it will work
                                1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                                ESP LTD M-400
                                Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Working...
                                X