Question for HSS configuration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for HSS configuration.

I want to try a HSS setup on my Fender Elite Strat. I've read a couple of articles where it was stated that a low output PAF is recommended for single coil pickups so that the humbucker wouldn't overwhelm the single coil/s. I realize that it's their opinion. I've got a Screamin Demon (bridge) and a 59 (neck) that I could try with the single coils. In your opinion. do you think that the Screamin Demon would be too hot because it's a medium output pickup? I know the obvious answer would be to try both and see what would work better. I'm trying to save some time by not having to switch back and forth between the two. Thanks for the suggestions.

Re: Question for HSS configuration.

The Demon is a great choice for an HSS because in the bridge it's qualities complement single coils very well. Between that and the 59/C are my favorite HSS Duncans.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

My first take is, no, the Screamin' Demon is not too hot to use in HSS set up, even with vintage output single coils. I think the output of the demon would be more appropriate than using a 59n in the bridge position. That said, looks like the resistance on the 4th generation noiseless pickups that come stock in the Elite strat is up around 10.3K, so if you're reusing those you might have a pretty spot on match. I would not attempt splitting the Demon in the notch position in this instance.
      Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

The Demon is just fine in an HSS. Besides, some people love a small boost in volume when switching to the bridge. I use a Custom Custom in one guitar and another uses a 59/Custom Hybrid, and both of those blend well with the single coils.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Even if the output is a bit mismatched, you can keep different patches in your rig with adjusted volume and EQ for each. The full-size HB will usually sound bassyer too.

Comment

The neck and middle pickups will be from a set of Eric Johnson’s.

Comment

It comes down to which HB sounds best with 250k pots. Single coils only sound good with 250k pots. I have an A2P bridge in a HSS strat and it sounds nice. It responds so well to different pick attacks. Nice harmonics.

Also don't fret about differences in output of the different pickups. I have a JB paired with a P90 with half the output and they get along fine with regards to output when in parallel or switched separately.
              Last edited by esandes; 05-09-2020, 06:31 PM.

Comment

In this case I think the Demon is a great fit. Good match outputwise and tonewise, and it has a history of excellent results in Strat types.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

So would I need to change the pots?

Comment

if you use the demon, id stick with what you have in there now. i think it will sound good.

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer84 View Post
                      See what works for you

I have two HSS strats, and both have a 1Meg volume, a 1M bass cut tone pot, and a 500k no load treble cut pot. It sounds beautiful to my ears
                      Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                      Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                      Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                      Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                      Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                      Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                      Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                      Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                      Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                      PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer84 View Post
                        I think it is a good time to experiment with pots. I like a 500k volume, 250k tone for the neck & middle, and 500k tone for the bridge. But pots are cheap, so experiment.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
                          See what works for you

I have two HSS strats, and both have a 1Meg volume, a 1M bass cut tone pot, and a 500k no load treble cut pot. It sounds beautiful to my ears
                          Oh my. I'd hate to hear that monstrosity.
                          Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          I think it is a good time to experiment with pots. I like a 500k volume, 250k tone for the neck & middle, and 500k tone for the bridge. But pots are cheap, so experiment.
                          I'd start with the stock pots and the demon first.

Explorer, I find HBs really open up nicely with 500k pots, as suggested, in case your tone search doesn't end.

One of my strats has a 250k volume and a 500k volume. No tone knobs. The 250k is for the SS and the 500 for the HB. My tone pots are always 10 anyway. Custom Warmoth pickguard. It's very versatile and each pickup sounds great on its own. I have a wiring diagram if you need it.

Comment

I had a Screamin Demon on my Strat and it was perfect with 250k pots, I personally not use 500k with that pickup, it's bright enough with 250k.
                            Also the Screamin Demon is a very good match with single-coils, it's really not a high output pickup at all.
                            Here's demos (2 different styles):
                            - Demo starts at 3:20The first video from Yamaha Guitar Development showing some of the mods the team are doing for artists, prototypes and (occasionally) ju...

This is a mighty sounding pickup. Great for rock or metal.http://www.seymourduncan.com/Check out my new album here https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/twelve-t...

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                              Oh my. I'd hate to hear that monstrosity.

I'd start with the stock pots and the demon first.

Explorer, I find HBs really open up nicely with 500k pots, as suggested, in case your tone search doesn't end.

One of my strats has a 250k volume and a 500k volume. No tone knobs. The 250k is for the SS and the 500 for the HB. My tone pots are always 10 anyway. Custom Warmoth pickguard. It's very versatile and each pickup sounds great on its own. I have a wiring diagram if you need it.
                              I'd like the wiring diagram. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X