Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you Fuzz?

How do you all use your fuzz pedals?

For me, I've found that fuzz is like ketchup: its perfect for flavoring a main course, but kind of gross by itself

I have a Fulltone '69 on my board, which has sounded the best of the fuzzes I've tried, and has unlocked some pretty cool tones for me. For me, its almost always driving / adding hair to another flavor of overdrive that's downstream of it. I love the additional texture and fatness it can deliver, as well as the responsiveness to my tone and volume knobs. I wire almost all of my guitars with a bass cut tone knob, which is particularly powerful for use with fuzz pedals. Seriously... if you haven't tried fuzz with a guitar with PTB style tone wiring, you REALLY owe it to yourself to try it out!!!

That said, even though the Fulltone was, to my ears, the best fuzz I've tried, it doesn't do it for me by itself. I've listened to plenty of other players rock fuzz pedals gloriously, but I can't seem to pull it off alone. I use batteries, don't have any buffers going into it, and I don't have any extreme temperatures in my living room but I just can't find a sound I like without stacking another kind of drive

What are you all doing with your fuzz pedals?
    Any cool tips and tricks with fuzz that you've discovered?
    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Re: How do you Fuzz?

I stack a TS9 and a Green Russian Muff-type pedal. The best of both worlds.
    Attached Files

Comment

I'm with you, ziziphus. I've tried 4 or 5 very different fuzz pedals over the past couple years and didn't care for any of them into a clean amp but I do like them into a dirty amp for that liquid sustain thing

Comment

Lately I've been using low output single coils->fuzz face->compressor (set pretty low)->clean or just slightly overdriven amp . . . and really working the volume/tone konbs a lot. The variations in tone you can get are pretty incredible. Does everything from sparkly cleans to light OD to heavy fuzz and is super touch sensitive.

Also a big fan of running a big muff into an OD . . . the muff sounds great on it's own into a clean amp, but just disappears due to the lack of mids when playing with drums/bass and the OD kinda fixes that.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

No fuzz for me, just overdrive. An 805 or BYOC Silver Pony, and I'm good.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just recently installed my double fuzz (Big Muff / Joyo Voodoo) back on the board. I like the tone, but didn't found much practical use for it on it's own.

Now it's sings in the loop of my Vapor Trail, and it sounds awesome. In addition to fuzzed delay tone, dialing it to zero allows to use mix-knob to dial in just the right amount of fuzz along with amp dirt.

(Kudos for SD making not just one of the best analog delays out there, but one of the best pedals in general...)
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              Lately I've been using low output single coils->fuzz face->compressor (set pretty low)->clean or just slightly overdriven amp . . . and really working the volume/tone konbs a lot. The variations in tone you can get are pretty incredible. Does everything from sparkly cleans to light OD to heavy fuzz and is super touch sensitive.

Also a big fan of running a big muff into an OD . . . the muff sounds great on it's own into a clean amp, but just disappears due to the lack of mids when playing with drums/bass and the OD kinda fixes that.
              A muff into an OD?. Nice idea. I will try that, since I´m doing the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabelais View Post
                A muff into an OD?. Nice idea. I will try that, since I´m doing the opposite.
                Your muff into tube screamer will radically alter the muff sound - cutting off some of the piercing highs and booming lows, boosting the mids a bit. This gives a very different sound that works well for liquidy smooth compressed lead playing.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i have a few fuzz pedals. analog man nkt red dot sunface, fulltone soul bender, voodoo lab super fuzz, keeley blacktop... probably something else im forgetting. i like them all for what they do and they dont need an od to sound good. the super fuzz isnt something i use often but it sounds good into a slightly dirty amp. the others all sound good into clean or dirty amps. ive done whole shows with just the sunface into a deluxe reverb set pretty clean and a strat

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    i have a few fuzz pedals. analog man nkt red dot sunface, fulltone soul bender, voodoo lab super fuzz, keeley blacktop... probably something else im forgetting. i like them all for what they do and they dont need an od to sound good. the super fuzz isnt something i use often but it sounds good into a slightly dirty amp. the others all sound good into clean or dirty amps. ive done whole shows with just the sunface into a deluxe reverb set pretty clean and a strat
                    Interesting. Sounds like the Sunface does what you need it to. What genres are you playing? What tone are you going for?
                    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

i play blues rock or the tones are influenced by that school anyway. my sunface (theres a ton of variety) is a great germanium fuzzface which comes with all the quirks and idiosyncrasies of that design. doesnt like to be too hot or too cold, and tends to sound like its broken in either of those cases. the input impedance means it really wants to be first in line and i prefer the tone with vintage output single coils but paf type buckers can be ok too. the output impedance is weird so it doesnt stack well into many other dirt pedals. oh and it sounds best with a non-alkaline 9v. sounds great right? when things are right, it does such wonderful things. with the guitar volume on 10 its fat and dirty roll it back and there are loads of different dirty tones and most of the way down, the tone is pretty damn clean. doesnt cut through a mix too well without being too loud if there are other instruments competing for those same frequencies so i wouldnt use it by itself in anything but a trio. it lives on a little board with a dls mk2 and analog delay most of the time

Comment

I have yet to find a fuzz that l like. So I guess I do not fuzz.
                        It’s just not for me.

Comment

when i tried a fuzz years ago, i hated it. sounded like a harsh trebley mess that i thought was unusable. tried a few others over the years with similar results. the superfuzz still kinda sounds like that if it isnt into a dirty amp. fuzz is an acquired taste and the different families of fuzz are pretty different. a fuzzface and big muff are very different and there are a bunch of others as well

Comment

The first time I kicked on a fuzz pedal, I was pretty sure it was broken. I mean, it sounded broken. :P

Comment

yep, me too. i think it was a dunlop fuzzface in the 90s, plugged it in, turned it on and SUUUUCCCKK i tried it for a few minutes then gave up cause it sounded broken

Comment

Working...
                              X