How do you Fuzz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you Fuzz?

It's tough to beat a fuzz factory, though pricey not really worth it if you're not into tons of fuzz, but they're absolutely versatile. two chained big muffs is always nice too, or big muff into boost/od clean amp.... Fuzz bender is another one I'm particularly fond of.........I like fuzzies

Comment

I've got at least a dozen fuzzed, but really only use a few of them. I have a Dunlop Band of Gypsies fuzz face that sounds great with my NMV Supro witht the amp cranked. One is a Russian Muff (selectable between green, black, and civil war circuits)combined with a TS808, that works good on either clean or overdriven amps. The other two I use are the Devi Ever Shoegazer and Rocket which both have two fuzzed in each pedal that can be stacked, which sounds awesome on a clean amp or use either of the circuits on an overdriven amp.
      sigpic
      Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Does this count?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I really, really really want an Electro Harmonix "Octavix"-

It has many of the "elements" that I personally think defines a "fuzz" tone- the brown, thick and saturated gain; and the sound of a "blown preamp" when the gain is near maximum.

Also, it has the "octave up" sound, somewhat like Jimi Hendrix used.

found a good deal on one, from a norwegian webshop.

Was just about to order one yesterday; but... I already have a distortion channel... and only money for one pedal :/.

Soon, I'll recieve a Joyo overdrive, from a forum bro . Then I got even more distortion sounds....

but no "fuzz"... :/ ... heck, maybe I'll just toss a coin, and get over with it !!

-Erl
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I’m a big fan of fuzz pedals. I’ve had a lot of them over the years. I’ve found that I like the germanium style ones better. For me the two Fulltones do the best job: the 69 and Soul Bender.

What I like about these two is that they remain articulate and by dropping your guitar volume you can roll them back to sounding more like overdrive pedals.

Silicon based pedals are great too but often are too rich for most band settings. However these are great for single note work. I recorded with a Fuzz Factory and this does the trick. It almost has too much fuzz but you have to roll it back to find the right mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Triangle Big Muff Pi for me! The reissue one. One gets Pink Floyd tones quite easily, although the Ram's Head is of course better for that since that's the one Gilmour uses (duh ). The triangle sounds darker then the ram's head, I like also it for crushing doomy tones.

Sounds really nice with a tad of delay. With a Joyo overdrive in front, I get some chugginess while palm muting.

Fuzz pedals are picky when it comes to pairing them with amps. Sounds wonderful with my Blackstar HT40, but total crap with my Fender. It depends a lot on whether your amp is mid scooped or not. On mid scooped amps, fuzz pedals are useless unless you crave for ice picky noises.

Comment

I love the cleanup of a classic FuzzFace. Rolling back the guitar gives you the recognizable, iconic Hendrix semicleans.
                And of course when you dime the guitar it's instant psychedelicious. Nothing else quite like it.
                I've got an Analogman Sunface, a Duncan Tweakfuzz, and two germanium Lovepedals which are half Fuzzface and half Rangemaster, with balance knobs for the two cicuits. I use those two mostly in fuzz mode, with a bit of treble boost to add clarity and reduce woof.

I also have the Lovepedal Fuzz 50, which is based on the Church Of Tone circuit but actually sounds and behaves like an idealized Fuzzface. That same beautiful cleanup, with better upper mids so it doesn't get lost in a full mix like a vintage FF tends to. I liked this box enough to buy a second one for the smaller board. I have multiple variants of several classic pedals but the Fuzz 50 and one favorite vibe are the only cases in which I've bought more than one of the exact same circuit.

I also have a couple of ToneBender variants, the Lovepedal Mark III and a Bonetender. I consider Benders to be more like an overdrive than the FF. They will fuzz when dimed, but in the middle and lower gain ranges they produce a more amplike, slightly rude drive that to me just screams 70s classic rock. And they clean up pretty well with the guitar's volume knob, though not as well as a FF.

I have a few other oddball fuzzes. One is the VFE Fiery Red Horse, a five-knob version of the Big Muff that also has a character switch. Big fat ripping sustainy tone which hardly cleans up at all. Great for solos.

I nearly always have both a Bender and a Fuzzface (or Fuzz50) on each board.
                Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 07-16-2020, 11:29 PM.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

sounds like your tonebenders are pretty different than mine, from the name i assume its mkiii based. the fuzz50 sounds cool, what are the other lovepedal fuzzes you have?

Comment

Electro Harmonix "octavix"

had so much "pruno" one night, I ordered one .

sounds great, for my "way too loud, fuzzed out needs"

-Erl
                    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I own a Catalinbread Fuzzrite and absolutely love it but I haven't figured out how I'm going to incorporate it into my playing.
                      Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic
                      If you think an Epi is as good as a Gibson, you're probablly not old enough to find the clit yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonker View Post
                        I own a Catalinbread Fuzzrite and absolutely love it but I haven't figured out how I'm going to incorporate it into my playing.
                        I'm gonna use mine-

to make a "wall of noise and "electric guitar sound" behind any other sounds ...

or just a NASTY riff ...

-Erl

Comment

Black Arts Tonework Coven

It's their Black Forest overdrive (modified Colorsound Overdriver) and Pharaoh (based on the Ram's Head Muff) in one big housing.

It sounds better than everything. This is not debatable or subjective.
                          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            sounds like your tonebenders are pretty different than mine, from the name i assume its mkiii based. the fuzz50 sounds cool, what are the other lovepedal fuzzes you have?
                            I'm told the the Lovepedal Mk III is (somewhat confusingly) derived from a Mk I Bender; mine's the Vanilla version. Sean said they called it the Mk III because it looks like his old ProAnalog Mk III pedal. It and the Bonetender are similar in feel and cleanup but not identical in tone. I'd say the Mk III has a bit more gain on tap when dimed, and slightly fuller low mids. Maybe a slightly smoother top end but it still sears.

The Bonetender is pretty much an old school Mk II, probably changed only slightly from the classic circuit. Rolling back the guitar volume brings it down from raging to merely rude yet it still has an attitude.

Then there are those Fuzz 50s, truly splendid with bright humbuckers. With vintage output singlecoils they have a little less gain on tap than a classic FuzzFace, though they still sound great. Like I said above the circuit isn't technically a FF but it behaves like one, only with tighter bass and a little more midrange cut in a band mix.

I have a germanium BBB which is half Rangemaster, half FuzzFace with a knob to control balance between the two. There are a couple of versions of this pedal with different transistors, mine has a black glass OC42 and sounds amazing.

Also have a White Dragon, similarly Rangemaster+Fuzzface but this one is silicon I think. With both of these pedals I like to run a little of the treble boost with the FuzzFace sound; it tightens the lows a bit and adds a subtle something extra to the highs.

My other Lovepedal fuzz is the Mississippi Tchula, another germanium box. Once again I'd describe it as a not-quite-Fuzzface, this one fat & sloppy. I believe this one's also based on the Church Of Tone, though Sean has never gone into much detail about his circuit designs. It's wilder and swampier than the Fuzz50s, but like them it doesn't sound or feel anything like the regular COT circuits I have.
                            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                              It sounds better than everything. This is not debatable or subjective.
                              I have never heard one or even heard of it but I love this line!

Comment

What fuzz did Tony Iommi use, on the first Sabbath albums? :o

I adore that tone, it's what made me buy my first fuzz pedal . I get a more "modern", metallic sound though... still not bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X