Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you Fuzz?

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    The first time I kicked on a fuzz pedal, I was pretty sure it was broken. I mean, it sounded broken. :P
    Yea, I hear tell that that's what some people are going for

I absolutely love the tones of a fuzz that has been stacked – that gritty, fat, almost out of control sound – but without stacking it, just is out of control, and I'm not going for that just-blew-a-fuse-and-my-cables-are-shorting type tone
    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

I've been wanting a Electro Harmonix "Octavix" fuzz for a long time now.

Has that "blown circuit" thing going , and also an "octave up" thing, like Hendrix used.

Had several chances of getting one used for cheap... but maybe not any longer. :/ anyway, a great fuzz pedal.
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I have 3 Fuzzes on my board. A Morley Power Wah Fuzz which gates super hard unless I roll the vol way down. With the wah not engaged and the fuzz on the treadle acts as a blend so I can mix fuzz and clean and it work great for me as I run a slightly broken up clean tone. I use my board for bass and guitar. So for bass it works grrat to make some really greatg synth tones with a POG. Not sir what circuit its based on. Looking at the schematic nothing jumped out at me, but it also runs of 120vac.

Next is a BBE Free Fuzz that's based on a silicon fuzz face, though it doesn't mind having pedals before it. The Fuzz knob is interesting as its less of a gain knob and more of a bias adjustment. Usually run the fuzz around 10 o'clock with the vol on full. Works great with my EHX Soul POG and I run it in the loop of the Soul POG. I run the Soul Food before to give a mid hump for riffing, and on bass I run the POG either before or after depending on what kind of sound in going for.

Last is the Keely Darkside a modified Op Amp Big Muff from the literature. Has a 3 way switch to adjust the EQ curve. Scooped is a standard muff sound, flat is what it sounds like, and full gives a mid boost from what I can tell. I run it on the full mode with the fuzz around 2 o'clock and filter around 2 o'clock as well.

I never used to like fuzz but here I am years later with more Fuzzes than OD. I think the thing is I don't really like most standard fuzz sounds and having options for tone shaping on the mid range helps a lot. My Darkside never goes into the scooped mode for example.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        sigpic
        Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
        Dunlop Crybaby
        MXR Custom Comp
        GFS Twin Overdrive
        Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
        Blackstar HT-DISTX
        Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

I've generally not liked fuzzes, but I recently picked up an Analogman Astro Tone. Analogman descries it being between traditional fuzz, and an overdrive.

I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. It has been so-so on the first couple amps I tried it with, but it is sounding rather good when used with a Rockitt Retro 50 tahat I picked up a few months ago. I was running the amp at the edge of break to early break up. Hot ceramic Duncan P90s in my Hamer. We'll see.

It also sounded decent when used with a SF Deluxe Reverb that I had for a bit.

I've heard others people sound great using them. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Comment

Just by themselves, one at a time.

I’ve got a superfuzz clone, russian bug muff clone, algal bloom, tweakfuzz, and a couple homemade bazz fuss circuits. I like them all, but the bazz fuss is most interesting because of its simplicity, that it costs next to nothing, yet has such a great sound that you can modify to your heart’s content. The algal bloom is pretty fun cause it has lots of different sounds available that all sound good. When the mood is right, the superfuzz really hits the spot.

I wouldnt mind a fuzz factory or clone.

I should probably try more stacking and such with them.

Comment

With Big Muff, Fuzzface, and a few others on the shelf I've been experimenting with a Fulltone Octafuzz on my board and am not really getting anything out of it that I can call classic. After reading several posts here I will definitely try a 9v battery instead of running the adapter route. I've been stacking it with a Fulltone OCD and a Tubescreamer but the vibe just ain't there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                No fuzz for me, just overdrive. An 805 or BYOC Silver Pony, and I'm good.
                I'm with you. Not a fuzz guy, even though I grew up in the original heydey of fuzz, and I started out using one all the time. I guess tastes just evolve.

I've got an original early 70s Super Fuzz, and an original early 70s Shin-Ei, and they sit in a drawer somewhere.

I'll have to give that Silver Pony a look. So is that supposed to be a Klon clone?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabelais View Post
                  A muff into an OD?. Nice idea. I will try that, since I´m doing the opposite.
                  I like the Big Muff Pi with a Boss Blues Driver in front as a booster over a clean amp, sounds nice to me.

Comment

I’m a Luddite... I use a Fuzz Face style pedal into a slightly distorted amp (or another gritty pedal into a clean amp) and a big muff into a pretty clean amp. Nothing too crazy.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The only Fuzziness I ever liked was what I can get from a Rat or a good clone. I especially love the Rat boosted with a Tube Screamer.
                      Last edited by Mr. 80's; 06-26-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by midnite_man View Post
                        With Big Muff, Fuzzface, and a few others on the shelf I've been experimenting with a Fulltone Octafuzz on my board and am not really getting anything out of it that I can call classic. After reading several posts here I will definitely try a 9v battery instead of running the adapter route. I've been stacking it with a Fulltone OCD and a Tubescreamer but the vibe just ain't there.
                        the octafuzz is a different thing, even with the octave off. which muff? which fuzzface? there are a ton of variety of both. my fuzzface doesnt work well with a tubscreamer and needs to be first inline in order to sound its best. not sure about an ocd since i dont have one. what amp are you using?

Comment

I use a MXR Blue Box or my Morley Fuzz both do a darn good job.

Comment

Blue box is a pretty cool gated fuzz sound. Very 8-bit Nintendo-y.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The Dover Drive is the first "fuzzy" pedal I've owned in a long time.

It's designed to get the sound of a Butler Tube Driver into a FuzzFace.

Add some reverb and echo and you get Eric Johnson's violin tone.
                              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

My current fuzz is a Way Huge Swollen Pickle, whatever the current generation is. Love it.
                                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                                X