Can I run Big Muff XO with 12 volts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I run Big Muff XO with 12 volts?

It's surprisingly difficult to find any info or experience about it. Does anyone know?

I'd like to try it, but don't want to get it fried...
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Re: Can I run Big Muff XO with 12 volts?

Why? What are you expecting to accomplish? It probably wouldn’t sound that much different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
      Why? What are you expecting to accomplish? It probably wouldn’t sound that much different.

That’s actually a great question. The big muff is extremely compressed with the diodes clamping down on the signal.
      Last edited by PFDarkside; 05-11-2020, 08:03 PM.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        That’s actually a great question. The big muff is extremely compressed with the does clamping down on the signal.
        Right. It’s not going to give it more headroom. It’s designed with multiple clipping stages.

Plus why would you want it cleaner sounding. It’s a Big Muff.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
          Right. It’s not going to give it more headroom. It’s designed with multiple clipping stages.

Plus why would you want it cleaner sounding. It’s a Big Muff.

Well, I'm only using about third of the sustain pot since everything above is pretty useless rotation imho.
          So cleaner might surely be worth it.

Besides if there's something I think there might be to improve it would be to have same glorious sustain with a tad less grit.

But mainly question came up to me since I had extra 12v output...
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

I hope you won't fry it :/

I saw a clip on youtube, where they ran various pedals on ... what was it? 9, 12 and 18 volts... :o

And there was a difference in tone, headroom and so on. But no guarantee, that putting more volts on your box, won't fry it.

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Well, I'm not trying it before I have a backup...

Comment

Working...
              X