• Show
Clear All

Re: Kiss your ash goodbye

What about bamboo?

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
      What about bamboo?
      I have an acoustic made of bamboo. It sounds good to me, and looks cool, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bamboo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	5820894
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

White pine sounds better to my ears over Swamp Ash.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've always thought that we were pigeonholed as far as guitar wood is concerned. While it is absolutely true that some Woods have better tonal qualities, there are literally hundreds of species out there that we have no clue about.

Comment

Hemp?

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
              I've always thought that we were pigeonholed as far as guitar wood is concerned. While it is absolutely true that some Woods have better tonal qualities, there are literally hundreds of species out there that we have no clue about.
              Yes, we are. The major woods for bodies are ash, alder, mahogany and maple. However, for mahogany alone there are like, a dozen replacements. For alder, well... alder is easy, cheap and grows fast and isn't threatened, but ash can be replaced with a plethora of Eurasian contemporaries, hickory or chestnut. Same goes for rosewood and well... what not. It's just that guitarists are so darned conservative in their choices.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                Yes, we are. The major woods for bodies are ash, alder, mahogany and maple. However, for mahogany alone there are like, a dozen replacements. For alder, well... alder is easy, cheap and grows fast and isn't threatened, but ash can be replaced with a plethora of Eurasian contemporaries, hickory or chestnut. Same goes for rosewood and well... what not. It's just that guitarists are so darned conservative in their choices.
                They really are, aren't they? Makes it difficult for companies who break away from tradition. It is swimming upstream, no matter how good their ideas are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I have an acoustic made of bamboo. It sounds good to me, and looks cool, too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105454[/ATTACH]
                  That does look pretty awesome, is it super light? I've often wondered about bamboo, never had a chance to pick one up

Comment

Originally posted by dzdandcunfsd View Post
                    That does look pretty awesome, is it super light? I've often wondered about bamboo, never had a chance to pick one up
                    Well, it is a 3/4 scale travel guitar, so it is pretty light, anyway. It sounds as least as good as plywood, or whatever else they make cheaper travel guitars out of. And there is nothing more replenish-able than bamboo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      Well, it is a 3/4 scale travel guitar, so it is pretty light, anyway. It sounds as least as good as plywood, or whatever else they make cheaper travel guitars out of. And there is nothing more replenish-able than bamboo.
                      Yeah I've had some growing where I wanted a garden once........good luck killing it! I'm a fan of the 3/4 scale acoustics, I'll have to look into one of those eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by dzdandcunfsd View Post
                        As far as I know(usually wrong) that's more commonly called swamp ash.......and yeah it's good and still a pretty widely used wood, but this whole thread was news to me(ash being "phased" out)
                        ABSOLUTELY WRONG on Swamp Ash!!REAL Swamp ash is from the lower part of the Ash Tree in particular roots that are semi Submerged . It's super light porous and super resonate have owned several true swamp ash guitars like my Orange Washburn USA Chicago Custom MG 102 I know the difference. Most ash guitars you see are hard northern ash the stuff they make baseball bats out of. Super dense painfully BRIGHT and as heavy as rock maple. Kiesel is still offering true Swamp as an option on new builds BTW.
                        Last edited by Ascension; 06-27-2020, 07:50 AM.
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                          ABSOLUTELY WRONG on Swamp Ash!!REAL Swamp ash is from the lower part of the Ash Tree in particular roots that are semi Submerged . It's super light porous and super resonate have owned several true swamp ash guitars like my Orange Washburn USA Chicago Custom MG 102 I know the difference. Most ash guitars you see are hard northern ash the stuff they make baseball bats out of. Super dense painfully BRIGHT and as heavy as rock maple. Kiesel is still offering true Swamp as an option on new builds BTW.
                          Interesting. You find swamp ash more resonant than hard ash? Really? I have never been able to get along with swamp ash. It sounds so flat and boring to me. Hard ash just has so much more punch and attack. And never ever have I described it as 'painfully' bright.

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                            I think it’s because at the end of the day we are clueless and want to use things that have worked for our heroes (or for ourselves), for lack of certainty about other options.
                            This coin has two sides too. In theory I agree that we should be a bit more open minded. Imagine if our ancestors had the same mindset... We'd be still collecting berries out in the wild! But the flipside - at least for me - is that I am very suspicious about the PR and marketing antics of just about any production company and I cannot take their their statements about the woods they use (and about the decisions that led them to using that specific wood) seriously. All of them sound like a desperate attempt at hogwashing and sugarcoating a costsaving financial decision made at the roundtable instead of the luthier's shop. Of course, they might be true, but companies have done enough bullsh!tting in the past that it instilled the fear of it in me.

Transparency would lead to trust which would generate income. Not as much and not as immediate as the current method, but at least it would be sustainable in every aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                              Interesting. You find swamp ash more resonant than hard ash? Really? I have never been able to get along with swamp ash. It sounds so flat and boring to me. Hard ash just has so much more punch and attack. And never ever have I described it as 'painfully' bright.
                              My 1982 'The Strat' is hard ash, and it sounds great. But it weighs a lot. I can see why it isn't popular as a body wood.

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
                                White pine sounds better to my ears over Swamp Ash.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                                Both sound better than getting a case of the Swamp Ass.
                                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                                X