banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Both HB and SC guitars switching - how does it affect you pedal board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both HB and SC guitars switching - how does it affect you pedal board?

I just got my first SC guitar, a Strat with 59's pickups.

So levels are so different, and it affect settings in compressor, and amp if not hb etc.

An extra compressor and use either depending on guitar?
    But not used 100% of the time, so amp need adjustment too.

Or a general boost pedal first after guitar, to make signal just about equal as HB guitars?

I got a tip that Xotic make a real transparent boost pedal, not sure how much of sales pitch that was in store, but maybe good.

Just plug and play is nice, and no settings on amp gain+master might be needed.
    Just started experimenting.

How do you go about it?

Any other ideas?

I'm not a gigging musician, just home studio - but want consistent result that is easy to manage. Getting a song done usually takes years - and make that mix go forward a bit and then do other songs and pieces for film etc. So coming back later to same song convenient if I can get the same guitar sound. I won't settle for a mix unless sounding professional enough, so learning the trade you could say. When I practise piano and that is better - I remake takes for piano - and the same for bass, drums and guitar too.

Thanks.

Re: Both HB and SC guitars switching - how does it affect you pedal board?

Many pedals (fuzz, flanger, phaser, envelope filter) seem to like single coils better. Some pedals (tremolo, delay, reverb, OD, wah) work nicely with both singles and 'buckers.

I often run very light compression with single coils for clean playing (actually, it's an exotic SP comp and I'll sometimes use it as a boost), and bump the mids up on my amp a little. Those are really the only changes I make. Single coils sound different in part because of the volume and it's impact on your gain stages, so you don't want to completely remove that.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Xotic EP fattens and boosts, still retaining a lot of the Strat character.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        Xotic EP fattens and boosts, still retaining a lot of the Strat character.
        I was handed a Xotic RC in local store, I think it was - but saying it is very transparent(but have bass+treble knob).
        It has 2 gain settings too, which seems a bit interesting.

But guessing this is right before amp use - and if to change settings on compressor, I might get a second compressor instead with Strat settings.
        Wondering back and forth over these ideas.

But have a CAE MC404 on the way, which has a booster - if that might work, having on/off on that booster part. But no idea how that compare or color.

Comment

i dont really do anything different at the pedal board, i might turn the amp up half a number if i notice it sounding weak when going from a strat to lp but thats about it. i pretty much only play live and any recording i do is for a specific project ive been asked to be part of so there is someone else to engineer things.

Comment

My only guitar now, Is a P90 loaded one. It has the single coil focus and bite- with more midrange, fatness and power . It's my ideal pickup.

Not to be rude- but maybe you need to try working "straight to amp" more; and not let all your extra gear bother you.

-Erl
            If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Larioso View Post
              But have a CAE MC404 on the way, which has a booster - if that might work, having on/off on that booster part. But no idea how that compare or color.
              I own that wah, the boost only works if the wah is on, it doesn't work independently.
              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I do use a Pickup Booster pedal if I am using a Strat. My board is set up for humbuckers, so the settings don't quite sound right to me with a strat.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I do use a Pickup Booster pedal if I am using a Strat. My board is set up for humbuckers, so the settings don't quite sound right to me with a strat.
                  That seems right up my alley and what I was searching for.
                  Will check it out.

Comment

When I use a strat, I want it to sound different from my HB guitars. If there is any loss in volume out front, my sound guy will handle it.

Comment

Working...
                    X