Best pickup combo for everything 80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pickup combo for everything 80s

Looking for a combo of pickups that nails that goo-y glam filled goodness that is the 80s, think Mötley Crüe, Def Lppard, etc. Doesn't have to be SD specific. Hoping to buy and mod one of those Squier HH Jazzmasters in white
    Last edited by Dauminator; 05-10-2020, 04:20 AM.

Re: Best pickup combo for everything 80s

You need colorful Super Distortion bridge and PAF Pro neck, along with colorful knobs and switch tip. But that's just 50 percent of the tone. To complete it: wig, scarf, and spandex.

Comment

A Jazz at the neck and a JB in the bridge would be a nice starting point if you ask me.
      Sure, it also depends on your personal taste, and other combo's are possible too, but the combo above is the first one that pops into my mind for the style you are after and it would offer versatility as well.
      "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

The JB or the Custom come immediately to mind. I have guitars with both of them and they both so the job great.
        Personally I like the Custom better.

Comment

I'd say Jazz/JB, but don't forget your JCM800, chorus pedal, and hair gel. The pickups won't even matter if you do.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
            I'd say Jazz/JB, but don't forget your JCM800, chorus pedal, and hair gel. The pickups won't even matter if you do.
            Also need rows and rows of Marshall cabs that aren't plugged in. :P
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

If you're going to be installing them in that SG you've got in your avatar, I'd suggest a Pearly Gates in the bridge with a smooth Alnico 8. Not a conventional choice by any means, but trust me - it'll work!
              Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
              Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
              Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
              Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
              Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
              Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
              Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
              Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
              Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
              PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

A Jazz & JB is that sound, look no further. Get a guitar with some kind of graphic on it and you'd be set.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
                  If you're going to be installing them in that SG you've got
                  I’m keeping that one more classic but a pearly gates is a good option for that too. Squier has a cheap HH jazzmaster that has great reviews and looks like a great mod platform. Plenty of body to add graphics too
                  Last edited by Dauminator; 05-10-2020, 02:16 PM.

Comment

The JB was certainly popular for that era & style, but Motley Crue & Def Lepard are both Super Distortion. Either choice can get you there.

In my experience the Super D is more thick & the JB is more woody sounding?

Comment

I'll echo the JB or Super Distortion in the bridge. Duncan Distortion will get you there, too, but I'd try JB first. That gets you pretty much anything that wasn't the clean arpeggio behind a power ballad verse.
                      Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                        The JB was certainly popular for that era & style, but Motley Crue & Def Lepard are both Super Distortion. Either choice can get you there.

In my experience the Super D is more thick & the JB is more woody sounding?
                        I may be wrong but I’m pretty certain that Mick Mars was a Duncan guy. I’m not aware of him ever using a SD

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          A Jazz & JB is that sound, look no further. Get a guitar with some kind of graphic on it and you'd be set.
                          Is it the Full Shred or the Perpetual Burn that is the JB “without the mid hump”?

Comment

JB/59 works in all my super Strat and super Teles >

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                              Is it the Full Shred or the Perpetual Burn that is the JB “without the mid hump”?
                              To me, the PB does that. The FS is just really bright.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X