banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need more compression and mids- with or without overdrive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need more compression and mids- with or without overdrive.

I feel that I could benefit from another pedal, between guitar and amp-

That could thicken up the tone, get me more mids (I love having vocal, roaring, singing midranges)- and some compression.

Some added "chime" and overtones, on the clean channel- could also be nice to engage.

But there is a myriad of pedals out there... thousands... And there is only one guitar store in North Norway, run by a dirtbag salesman- that only stocks "****" for 30% over online prices-

So I'm forced to buy pedals and gear online, without trying them first-
    in the best case, from one store; that offers a 30 day free return policy.

I've been thinking about the GFS (guitar fetish) tube screamer clone, that got "three modes" and onboard EQ.

The Electro Harmonic Black Finger (with tubes) was a great compressor- but not made anymore. And mine had major reiability issues.

I need something, that I stomp on- and the tone gets thick, compressed and midrangy.

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Re: I need more compression and mids- with or without overdrive.

What I was looking for in a compressor was also something that support single notes and still not fly off the board doing a chord.

Look at YT maybe for Wampler Ego compressor - I really like it.

It soften a bit, but the is tone control and also a blend how much of original tone you want in there.

I have a Black Finger and felt it was crap for that purpose of really support notes. It compress, and I made lot's of tests in computer and looked at envelopes with that engaged and not - and did not sustain notes one bit. It looked on led like it was working, but no real results unless coloring tone severly.

Just writing so you can judge if to take notice what I like or not.

Comment

^^ Of course, everyone is different- and as we say in norway-. "Preferences are like a butt. It's split".

I think that a compressor might not be enough; as I need a mid-boost and maybe some "drive"- in the sense of added harmonics, compression and so.

I loved my Black Finger; but it stopped working several times. Sold it after the last "repair job".
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

If I had the money. I'd soon as heck get an Effectrode "Blackbird" preamp. It's got three ECC83 tubes, running on 400v- two channels, with EQ.

But it costs 400 british punds... :/ I'd have to save and live sparsely for two months...

Though it seems like just what I'm "crying about".

A cheaper alternative, would be appreciated.

Comment

What about the DOD 250 preamp/overdrive? It's a 1000nkr (about 100USD dollars with todays exchanges).

I'd like something like that, but with broad mid boost.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-DES...r-_p_1075.html this one is just 50 dollars :o

But what I'd really want , was a parametric mid EQ control... or a combination of a EQ pedal, compressor and drive. :/

Any inputs are appreciated.

-Erl

Comment

Maybe look at a parametric EQ+dist like Stone Deaf PDF-2, I ordered one today.

Some good demos here

You decide how much you want to boost, decide how narrow area, and then dial in with frequency where to boost.
            Sound pretty much what you are after.

If going real budget - I have a couple of Artec Parametric EQ - they are about $30.
            Really good.

Comment

Getting my welfare "paycheck" (great, getting paid for being a "loser"; drinking beer and having shizophrenia) - but it supports my guitar playing!!

on the 14th.

I've decided to spend less money on beer and expensive-as-hell tobacco;

and try to maximize the tone I get from my guitar rig.

Comment

Mooer, Donner, Mosky, and Rowan are all available super cheap, sound great, and are fairly reliable.

Just figure out which is a copy of what.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

^^ I remember trying out a Boss GE-7 , 7 band graphic equalizer for guitar-
                  though, anyhow i adjusted it, I still think my rig sounded better without it. Don't know why; I was looking for a "mid boost, darkened top end" effect- but it just made everything sound and feel "fake".

Sorry for all the posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Mooer, Donner, Mosky, and Rowan are all available super cheap, sound great, and are fairly reliable.

Just figure out which is a copy of what.
                    Okay

And what "original" is the one I need!

Comment

I'd say the GFS Tube Screamer clone that you mentioned is a pretty solid bet.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I love my Friedman Buxom Boost. Not cheap but I got mine used for about $125 US

Comment

Any TS-based pedal should be able to get what you are looking for. Those circuits are plentiful, and a whole bunch of price ranges, too. There is a reason they are the most popular overdrive style out there.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                            I'd say the GFS Tube Screamer clone that you mentioned is a pretty solid bet.
                            agreed

Tube Screamers are all about mid boost and compression, and there are countless versions of that hallowed circuit out there these days
                            Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                            Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                            Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                            Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                            Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                            Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                            Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                            Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                            Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                            PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

The best I know of for that is the Drybell Unit67. Great compressor, plus very musical three band EQ including a Rangemaster type mid boost. Unfortunately it's pretty expensive. But worth it.

Maybe a Fulltone Fat Boost? Under $100 used.

Or a TS clone, as long as you're running into a tube amp with some gain already. There's a reason why these are so iconic.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X