banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Neck pickup in a SD humbucker set RWRP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Neck pickup in a SD humbucker set RWRP?

When one buys a *set* of Seymour Duncan humbuckers, is the Neck pickup Reverse Wound/Reverse Polarity (RWRP)? I searched the internet before posting this question, including looking at the SD product page for a few humbucker sets, and found no mention either way about this.

NOTE: Ignore the PRail pickups for this question. I am already aware that that pickup set is designed with the Neck as RWRP.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 05-11-2020, 05:29 AM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Re: Is Neck pickup in a SD humbucker set RWRP?

I don't believe they are. I've had to custom order ones that were if that's what I wanted.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I don't believe they are. I've had to custom order ones that were if that's what I wanted.
      I didn't think they were either, but just looking to confirm. Thanks!
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

no they arent

Comment

All Duncan hums are wound the same way and you reverse the leads if you want to change the winding direction. With the exception of stax I believe.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            no they arent
            Great - I appreciate the firm answer.

Thanks Jeremy

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
              When one buys a *set* of Seymour Duncan humbuckers, is the Neck pickup Reverse Wound/Reverse Polarity (RWRP)? I searched the internet before posting this question, including looking at the SD product page for a few humbucker sets, and found no mention either way about this.

NOTE: Ignore the PRail pickups for this question. I am already aware that that pickup set is designed with the Neck as RWRP.
              No, because there wouldn't usually be a point to doing that.

RWRP allows for hum cancellation between 2 coils. When you have a humbucker, each coil is RWRP with respect to the other coil, which is why the two coils of a humbucker will buck the hum.

Two humbuckers, which already have their hum bucked individually, will remain hum-free when combined (e.g., when both pickups are run in parallel in the middle position).

The RWRP concern should only come into play when you have two humbuckers that are both coil split, and you're playing them together. If this is the scenario you're asking about, I don't know the answer to your question. In theory, if you put two identical Duncan humbuckers into, say, a Les Paul, and coil split it to the NORTH coil of one humbucker, and the SOUTH coil of the other humbucker, they should should hum cancel when played together. So, if you installed those two identical humbuckers so that both had their screw coils closer to the bridge, you would get hum cancellation with either both outer or both inner coils,

But, I don't know if Duncan has designed their 'buckers so that a given set will behave as I've described. For that matter, rarely do we put both screw coils closer to the bridge, so they would have to alter the design of the bridge and neck pickups relative to one another to compensate for our behavior.
              Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
              Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
              Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
              Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
              Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
              Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
              Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
              Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
              Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
              PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post

RWRP allows for hum cancellation between 2 coils. When you have a humbucker, each coil is RWRP with respect to the other coil, which is why the two coils of a humbucker will buck the hum.

Two humbuckers, which already have their hum bucked individually, will remain hum-free when combined (e.g., when both pickups are run in parallel in the middle position).

The RWRP concern should only come into play when you have two humbuckers that are both coil split, and you're playing them together. If this is the scenario you're asking about, I don't know the answer to your question. In theory, if you put two identical Duncan humbuckers into, say, a Les Paul, and coil split it to the NORTH coil of one humbucker, and the SOUTH coil of the other humbucker, they should should hum cancel when played together. So, if you installed those two identical humbuckers so that both had their screw coils closer to the bridge, you would get hum cancellation with either both outer or both inner coils,

But, I don't know if Duncan has designed their 'buckers so that a given set will behave as I've described. For that matter, rarely do we put both screw coils closer to the bridge, so they would have to alter the design of the bridge and neck pickups relative to one another to compensate for our behavior.
                Humbuckers are wound the same way, so you get humcancelling the way you described.
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

stacks are a different animal, if you split the stack you always want the top coil active so the middle stks4 is rw/rp to the others but thats unique to the stacks. all duncan side by side buckers are stud coil north, b&w pair unless specifically requested differently

Comment

It's easy to do yourself, just flip the magnet and reverse the leads.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                      It's easy to do yourself, just flip the magnet and reverse the leads.
                      Yes, this is how I get the 'right' coils to combine, and still be hum cancelling, like inner or outer coils.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post

I have the Custom / Jazz set in my Explorer wired so that the Jazz splits to the screw coil while the Custom splits to the slug coil. With both active and split I still have hum canceling.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                        X