X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your Favorite Tonewood?

Originally posted by Francois View Post
    For me :
    Three woods for body : Alder/Ash/Mahogany, all great (I am refering to the type of mahogany used in the old Gibsons, not Khaya. And Ash : both Swamp and Northern)

Maple for neck but also mahogany (the old type. From Honduras maybe ?)

I am not a fan of basswood but it can be OK with hi-gain and for metal
    And maple for body is very snappy !!! (OK for funk)

All my guitars except 4 have a rosewood fretboard. I won't discuss this too much. But I love it, especially with the beautiful (slightly violet) black veins.

When saying tonewood does not matter remember those instruments can be played with lots of distortion + modulation but also unplugged. You won't see the difference through an Airplane Flanger with Regen at 11. But with a light crunch or a clean sound.
    while I respect your opinion
    and value your contribution

I feel that you missed the point of the thread
    and the "Choose One" premise
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I don't have a favorite wood - nor a favorite guitar.
      They all do their own thing.

Do I want the woody tone of a Martin - or the shimmering tone of a Taylor - I love them both. I elevate a bit over chair from where I sit on both.
      Do I want the bluesy tone of lp or cut threw of tele or strat - I love them all, but maybe combined with different amps.
      Playability of lp is lovely, shorter scale length and overall.

If I had to choose single electric - it would be tele - it works well on any amp. So easy to get it sounding excellent.

Comment

Tonewood is a myth perpetuated by big business to convince the uneducated to shell out a car payement for a 12"×18" piece of wood.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          Tonewood is a myth perpetuated by big business to convince the uneducated to shell out a car payement for a 12"×18" piece of wood.
          Nah, I thinks the other way around - too many people with more money than sense.
          Where there is a market......

Comment

Originally posted by Larioso View Post
            Nah, I thinks the other way around - too many people with more money than sense.
            Where there is a market......
            It's easier to buy new gear than get good at playing the gear you have. That's why I have half the **** I've collected. :P
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              Tonewood is a myth.
              False. Tonewood is a fact which has been scientifically proven.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Maple. If I ever built a custom guitar it'd be 100% maple neck and body

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

I can't really say I have a preference for tonewood, but I do have a preference for feel and weight....

Although, I guess that since 4 out of 6 of my electric guitars have mahogany bodies, mahogany must be my favorite wood by default hehe

Comment

I am fine with alder, but hey, I like carbon fiber, too. When building a guitar from parts, I have to be careful about lightweight ash as it is easy to build something that is neck-heavy (although I love lightweight guitars). Alder is cheap, sustainable, and sounds good with both vintage and high-output pickups.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I am fine with alder, but hey, I like carbon fiber, too. When building a guitar from parts, I have to be careful about lightweight ash as it is easy to build something that is neck-heavy (although I love lightweight guitars). Alder is cheap, sustainable, and sounds good with both vintage and high-output pickups.
                      Clapton prefers alder Strats over ash Strats. He likes the resonance. Both sound fine to me if the wood is light and resonant but I do hear and sense a difference.

On a different note, he never uses his vibrato but all of his Strats have one because he likes the sound and response better.
                      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I'd still like to try a solid body neck through made with ironwood or some other type of mesquite.

Comment

Whatever wood the guitar I'm currently playing is made of???

I don't really have a favorite, and everything I could say about tonewood is general in nature. For Strats, I tend to like Alder bodies with maple neck & fingerboard, while for Teles I like maple / rosewood. I generally don't care for basswood, but my Model series Charvels are basswood and they sound great. I tend not to like all-maple guitars, but Spector basses tend to be maple neck-thru with maple body wings and I love those. When it comes to Gibson-style guitars, I like mahogany with both rosewood and ebony fingerboards, maple cap optional.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I would have said anything but this years ago, but my favorite tonewood has become Basswood bodies, with maple on maple necks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                              Clapton prefers alder Strats over ash Strats. He likes the resonance. Both sound fine to me if the wood is light and resonant but I do hear and sense a difference.

On a different note, he never uses his vibrato but all of his Strats have one because he likes the sound and response better.
                              I like alder over ash, too. But I also have a maple/mahogany Brian Moore strat-shaped thing that sounds wonderful, too.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've got wood right now, but I wouldn't want to make a guitar out of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X