What's your Favorite Tonewood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your Favorite Tonewood?

I'd still like to try a solid body neck through made with ironwood or some other type of mesquite.
    There is no particular wood known as ironwood other than local names used because that wood is heavy. That's why I prefer the Latin names for classification. Names can be deceiving. Korina is a trademarked name, by Gibson - for limba. A lot of what is represented as white mahogany or korina is actually yellowheart or meranti. Philippine Mahogany is actually luaun. Spanish Cedar isn't Spanish or cedar - it's close to mahogany. I can't remember exactly, I think what we know as oak here in the US is known as pine in Great Britain. It's all very confusing, which is why I prefer the exact taxonomic species name of various woods in Latin.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Yes. To the best of my understanding "ironwood" at least the stuff I'm thinking of, is in the mesquite family.
      To be specific then, Olneya tesota. Or Prosopis glandulosa. Or Prosopis pubescens.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

What's your Favorite Tonewood?

Carbon fiber

Oh, that’s two words, I guess I broke the rules. Oops, I did it again..,

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          I can't remember exactly, I think what we know as oak here in the US is known as pine in Great Britain.
          Not sure about that, to my knowledge oak refers to trees from the Quercus genus, be it in Britain or anwhere else. Wouldn't be surprised though if the Brits had their own way... But I totally agree with using the proper taxonomical names. That would make everything more starightforward and trasnparent. Think about all those woods marketed as mahogany and in a taxonomical sense they couldn't be farther from the Swietiana genus, to which the "OG" mahogany belongs. But I guess it really is just marketing. "Not being called mahogany doesn't make a wood sound inferior, but being called mahogany makes a wood sell instantly better, so mahogany it is!"

Comment

Light, lively and resonant, regardless of species. Even within one type of wood they can vary so widely...

I like mahogany necks because they often tend to feel slightly elastic and come alive nicely in your hand at volume.
            But I don't mind maple necks as long as they don't have a really stiff feel. One of my very favorite necks is maple, my '63 Strat.

I've liked many korina guitars and own a bunch of those. Korina necks usually feel good to me.
            I think I prefer OG mahog over the various others that are called mahogany nowadays.
            I generally like ash, swamp ash, alder, and basswood bodies better than pawlonia.
            I had a walnut guitar for awhile that wasn't bad, though it was very heavy.
            Would like to try one made from Spanish cedar on of these days.
            Don't think I ever had an oak guitar. Or pine, though I've got spruce tops on a number of acoustics, of course.

Overall, I'm much more concerned with feel. Tone can be modified & altered. But feel is what it is, intrinsic to each guitar.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Of all the basics i only avoid ash bodies and maple boards. Everything else I like with the right pickups.

Comment

indian_Rosewood best sound I mostly used for this.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                  Of all the basics i only avoid ash bodies and maple boards. Everything else I like with the right pickups.
                  That's actually my favorite combo on account of the tuning stability and grain pattern.
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Bodies: Mahogany and Ash.

Necks: Maple, all-rosewood, and all-mahogany, although the latter can sound 'boingy' if overfinished or with certain construction methods.

Comment

Maple Bodies and Maple Necks...

Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 05-12-2020, 03:07 PM.
                      MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
                      1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                      1988 Kramer Nightswan
                      1989 Charvel Sambora
                      2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
                      Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
                      Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

I do like darker, raw woods for necks, though.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Comment

I think Koa sounds the best to my ears; (Martin baby koa, my own Wildkat koa)

it's warm, has alot of midrange, and sweet treble.

then all-maple guitars (like ES-335, or the old Yamaha SA-5 i used to own).

Never been a big fan of mahogany; but my wildkat is all mahogany (apart from top and fingerboard). Doesn't sound /bad/ though- but I'd rather had it made out of maple.
                            If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

My Steinberger in my avatar is maple, which I thought I would hate, but love it in that particular guitar. Other all-maple instruments...I hated.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                My Steinberger in my avatar is maple, which I thought I would hate, but love it in that particular guitar. Other all-maple instruments...I hated.
                                Yeah, that's the problem with the whole "tonewood" thing. The individual piece of wood might matter . . . but trying to generalize based on species of wood is kinda a fool's errand. Mahogany is usually seen as being mid-rangey and maybe a bit darker. The brightest guitar I own is a thick mahogany slab though. :P
                                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                                X