Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your Favorite Tonewood?

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    Yeah, that's the problem with the whole "tonewood" thing. The individual piece of wood might matter . . . but trying to generalize based on species of wood is kinda a fool's errand. Mahogany is usually seen as being mid-rangey and maybe a bit darker. The brightest guitar I own is a thick mahogany slab though. :P
    Yea, fair

I've found myself on both sides of the tonewood debate, depending on the specific arguments of the person I'm talking to. The concept of tolerances lends itself perfectly to intraspecies variation for a given wood.
    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
      Maple. If I ever built a custom guitar it'd be 100% maple neck and body

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
      Usually maple bodies are softer maple, but I built a 1HB strat with a floyd with a hard maple body and an all maple neck with an A2 JB in it, that guitar sounded awesome.

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
      I would have said anything but this years ago, but my favorite tonewood has become Basswood bodies, with maple on maple necks.
      I agree, I like basswood a lot now, I miss my old IBZs, especially my rootbeer JEM. Basswood gets even better with a maple cap ala Music Man Axis, if those guitars have a neck that fit me better they would be perfect. Too bad I don't like the offset bodies of the Peavey and EVH Wolfgangs, still might have to bite that bullet someday.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        Usually maple bodies are softer maple, but I built a 1HB strat with a floyd with a hard maple body and an all maple neck with an A2 JB in it, that guitar sounded awesome.
        Ah yeah, I think I would go with whatever is in the maple caps on a Les Paul, or whatever is in the neck. My favorite sounding guitars are my neck thrus with maple necks, so a great deal of their tone is coming from the maple and i just love the way it sings

And I'll have to try an A2 JB some day. I'm about to stick a ceramic in one and see what that sounds like.

Comment

Mahogany
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I can't believe some people don't believe in tonewood, there's a simple test to check for yourself.

Play a chord on your guitar unplugged. As the chord is ringing out push the body against another piece of wood, don't push the neck as that will effect tuning. Notice certain frequencies get bleed off through the second piece of wood and the guitar sounds different.

Repeat this experiment but plugged in, the same frequencies get bled out of the electric tone.

End of discussion.

Btw: to answer your question, Paulowonia neck and ash body.

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
              Maple. If I ever built a custom guitar it'd be 100% maple neck and body

I have an old super strat that is all maple. It sounds great. There is nothing wrong with how it sounds and it sustains forever. Very Les Paul like. The weight can literally be a pain in the neck, though.

Use a brass block if it has a trem, and a thick, warm, bridge pickup like the Dimarzio Tone Zone.
              Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 05-14-2020, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Swamp ash for me. Sadly.

Comment

maple is my favorite by far. It is great for necks fretboards and bodies. Can be very plain and 'raw' or extremely luxurious.

Other than that: Spanish cedar bodies are amazing but ash is more versatile in looks and tone. ebony fretboards are the best for me. Neck shafts: solid Indian rosewood. Feels, looks, works the best to me. And sounds great too.

Comment

Surprised about the love for maple. That's cool, I love my maple guitar, but if my maple guitar was any bigger, it would be too heavy. I think maple can look the best, just because it takes dyes so well, and can have crazy figuring.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm a fan of roasted woods as necks and possibly bodies (havent tried yet).

What spesific combo i dont like is maple neck and mahogany body. I've tried many samples even the ones i'd made myself, result always the same.
                      Official Author of Guitarism Section of SOUND Magazine, TR

Click Here to Guitarism Blog for Special Interviews, Reviews and Articles

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." — Frank Zappa

Comment

Haven't played any roasted wood necks, but I'd love to. I like the way they look, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                          Yeah, that's the problem with the whole "tonewood" thing. The individual piece of wood might matter . . . but trying to generalize based on species of wood is kinda a fool's errand. Mahogany is usually seen as being mid-rangey and maybe a bit darker. The brightest guitar I own is a thick mahogany slab though. :P
                          I think the 'problem' also extends to the typical of depth of understanding of the argument. So many people seem to have this binary/superficial level to their understanding. So a 'black or white' thing. If the wood-tone argument is neither universal, nor distinct, it therefore must be imaginary.
                          And of course because a guitar is made up of multiple bits of a wholly unique organic material, results can be variable.

Comment

Mahogany body. Either with a maple top or not.

Maple or mahogany neck. Haven't tried anything else. Either works for me.

Rosewood fretboard. Love the looks of maple and ebony, but I find rosewood smoother and warmer-sounding.

Comment

I have rosewood and ebony and maple fretboards
                              when given the choice
                              I always choose ebony
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I like ebony or rosewood, but I am sure there are a ton of other woods I would like for a fretboard, too. I mean, we use so few species... it is silly. There is a whole world of materials out there. The fretboard wood might not even matter if it is scalloped.

Comment

Working...
                                X