Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your Favorite Tonewood?

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I like ebony or rosewood, but I am sure there are a ton of other woods I would like for a fretboard, too. I mean, we use so few species... it is silly. There is a whole world of materials out there. The fretboard wood might not even matter if it is scalloped.
    fretboard material is extremely important but not for the reason you might think. Some materials simply work better, easier. For example: when leveling the fretboard, maple sands fine, rosewood clogs up the sandpaper and ebony is a dream to work with.

My new favorite, or at least rapidly becoming a favorite, is bog oak. This is pitch black, like ebony, but with pores slightly less dense. Sands great, looks beautiful and is sustainable compared to ebony.

Comment

Black or White Korina for bodies (and necks for humbucker/Les Paul style builds) and roasted Maple with Rosewood or Bloodwood fretboards for single coil/strat/tele builds.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
        fretboard material is extremely important but not for the reason you might think. Some materials simply work better, easier. For example: when leveling the fretboard, maple sands fine, rosewood clogs up the sandpaper and ebony is a dream to work with.

My new favorite, or at least rapidly becoming a favorite, is bog oak. This is pitch black, like ebony, but with pores slightly less dense. Sands great, looks beautiful and is sustainable compared to ebony.
        Interesting. There are probably tons of species that are easy to work with that are waiting to be discovered by builders like you. I can't wait to see what y'all come up with.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post

Ebony is always my preference, but I played a bog oak acoustic in London last year that was probably the best sounding guitar I've ever played -although, it sold for half the price of new car.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Interesting. There are probably tons of species that are easy to work with that are waiting to be discovered by builders like you. I can't wait to see what y'all come up with.
            I'm not entering the debate, but I'm enjoying experimenting with our NZ native species

Click image for larger version

Name:	94782715_1127912610940913_3762682601618276352_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	5819134
            https://www.facebook.com/ChaozGuitars

Comment

Originally posted by ChAoZ View Post
              I'm not entering the debate, but I'm enjoying experimenting with our NZ native species

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104904[/ATTACH]
              What is it? It is really cool looking.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I tried a "Morgan" guitar (norway designed, china made) acoustic-.

made out of exotic tonewoods. A western dreadnought guitar..,.

It was so warm and mellow sounding, it was close to a nylon string guitar :o

Didn't get to know the exact materials... but they were all dark / caramel in colour... and it was expensive (800USD)... for a budget brand guitar...

I'd love to have one, for fingerpicking. as it was radically different sounding to a spruce/mahogany western.
                If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                  Or the full price of half a car.
                  Yep, the glass is always full, even if it’s half water and half air.

Comment

Plywood. The thin shrill sound and lack of definition is perfect to disappear in the mix so nobody knows how bad your playing is.

Comment

Spruce. Hahaha. Seriously, it is one of the most evenly grained woods there are.

Comment

Originally posted by StoRMiE View Post
                        Plywood. The thin shrill sound and lack of definition is perfect to disappear in the mix so nobody knows how bad your playing is.
                        What about Masonite?

Comment

How about Lucite?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

This stuff gives me a woody

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              How about Lucite?

Sorry, not wood. You guitar player subscription is canceled. But you could start a thread on does tone plastic matter?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                                Sorry, not wood. You guitar player subscription is canceled. But you could start a thread on does tone plastic matter?
                                Well, that hurts. My guitar player subscription cancelled? So, I'll just have to come up with stuff on my own?
                                And I can say, tone plastic is clear and really let's the pickups stand out. This is probably the brightest guitar that I own.

Comment

Working...
                                X