RAT pedal suggestions, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RAT pedal suggestions, please

Pity RadioShack went under. They used to sell a distortion pedal kit that was very similar to the Rat.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a real Rat (Original 80's) on my board for a year when Hollywood started. I'd never pay the big bugs for an original vs my Mooer. I'd say the bass in the Mooer etc. Could be a touch looser. But jammed through a semi-raging Marshal - meh. $25 and move on.

My Solo is a way different beast though. That thing can do all the Rat tricks and whole lot more. It's like a totally evolved walking/talking post-apocalypse Rat not to be effed with!
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

is the solo a rare beast? i never see em in the wild

Comment

Ace had it right: Rat2 is the Rat most people mean when they talk about a Rat.

As to the opamp nonsense: the Rat2 had an LM308 through the...mid 90s maybe? I forget exactly where the switchover happened. You can still find plenty of LM308 Rat2s out there, but they'll cost you ~3X as much as the newer ones. FWIW, I bought both and A/B'd them: at identical settings, one was a little more aggressive than the other. If I nudged the knobs a teensy bit, I couldn't pick out the LM308 in a blind test.

So save your money and get an imported one.
          ---------------------------
          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

RAt 2 $70 from Sweetwater. Just go buy it.

But...for less money any close mini will do.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              is the solo a rare beast? i never see em in the wild
              Yep. Not incredibly popular. No idea why. Freaking awesome pedal.

"Filter" is just a reverse tone. This gives you:
              - Three levels of dirt
              - Mid scoop
              - Tone

Comment

I personally have a Biyang clone with different clipping options. Very good pedal in my opinion, I would prefer it over the "real deal" to be honest.

I got the relabeld Biyang, mine is a Fame (house brand of Musicstore), but apart from the graphics, it's the same pedal as the Biyang one:

The older version:

There is a mini version as well:
                Last edited by The JEM Ghost; 05-17-2020, 09:00 AM.
                "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
                    The differences are noticeable, but they all fundamentally sound like a RAT

Do you have the original ProCo rat? They're rather inexpensive, especially used. Just pick one up second hand, and see if you like it, before you commit to buying a more.... high-end RAT

If you know you like the RAT sound, I'd suggest the JHS modded RAT. Josh Scott is a ***king genius

I stacked a ProCo Rat on my TS9 also and liked how it added more sustain and clearer high end. Then I swapped that out for a modded TS5...not sure which one I like best...they're unique

Comment

Working...
                    X