Speed of guitar finish fade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speed of guitar finish fade

Why would anyone buy a guitar and not want it to age?
    That's almost as bad as spending extra on a new guitar that looks like it's 50 years old.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't mind a guitar aging. But to turn a completely different color than what I custom ordered is another thing.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Patina.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, the milky-ness isn't really great patina. It looks like a flaw. Still a great guitar, with RMC piezo pickups and 13 pin output, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I don't mind a guitar aging. But to turn a completely different color than what I custom ordered is another thing.
            The milky sounds like a reaction to something.

But yellowing is something to be expected from practically any product. There are almost no clearcoats even now that do not yellow with age. And I'd doubt that, even with the company existing still, that you'd have got any warranty response from them on that aspect.

Comment

I have had the clear on light blue guitars yellow
              and make really cool seafoam green

but not the darker blues
              not yet

but it would be cool to see you forearm shadow in the fade
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                The milky sounds like a reaction to something.

But yellowing is something to be expected from practically any product. There are almost no clearcoats even now that do not yellow with age. And I'd doubt that, even with the company existing still, that you'd have got any warranty response from them on that aspect.
                Hmm, maybe. I'd love to understand so I don't repeat it if I ever order something else...

Comment

^ I think there are 1 or 2 types of modern poly coatings that don't yellow.....but I've not paid too much attention to the specifics (or who offers them) as I like (and want) the yellowing as much as possible.

Comment

For the original question: some waxes have uv protection. Find one, then contact PRS to ask them if it will harm your guitar's finish.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                      And there are scientific reasons for this. First, red is a low-energy color - low on the spectrum. Blue is the opposite - a high energy color. Therefore red is more susceptible to fading.

Now for something about red most people don't know. Because of the low energy of the color red, red paint usually has twice as much tinting material in it. And so red ends up being a much heavier finish than any other finish in the same amount. Further to that, gold is used in the production of red finishes. That increases the weight, too - AND the cost. Many companies charge more for their red finishes over any other color.
                      I've worked with glass, using gold to get the red color, and have never seen the color fade from sunlight. This kind of red from gold compounds is pretty stable, even after hundreds of years.

Now aniline dyes... well, dyes, pigments and inks are all seriously different kinds of stuff, with all kinds of uses.

Nowadays, and for years now, most poly coatings have UV protectants added.

One kind of "dye" that isn't going to fade, especially under a good clearcoat is fibre reactive, or those procion dyes used for tie-dye t-shirts. I used it on some patio furniture 20 years ago with a two-part Polyurethane finish, and despite being on the patiofor the equivalent of ten years of warm weather, they have yet to fade. You can use it on lighter-colored woods, too.

Comment

Working...
                      X