$35 delay pedal, why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $35 delay pedal, why not?

Caline Blue Ocean showed up today. Have only fiddled with it a bit so far but I'll attempt a basic review.

It's a clone supposedly of the mad professor deep blue delay. I wanted an analog sounding delay for a little slapback and ambience, with medium-short delay times to fill out a few solos. I did not want crystal clear repeats and don't do a lot of dotted eighth stuff, nor did I need modulated repeats or long delay times. So this seemed like an easy choice for now.
    For $35 I can't complain! The bypassed sound seems natural and I don't hear much change in my dry tone without it on, no increase in noise floor that I hear through my clean Princeton Reverb.
    The repeats seem to sort of blend into what you're playing as they're not too bright, even at short delay times, where I found the carbon copy to be really bright and metallic
    The original Deep Blue is advertised as an analog sounding digital delay that has warm repeats and claims to be voiced to handle gain in front of it from dirt pedals. This clone seems to do that, I sometimes like to crank the gain on my blues driver for an almost fuzzy drive and I think the pedal gives me that same sound but with unobtrusive echoes echoes echoes or rockabilly slap that doesn't add too much brightness
    Hard to qualify it other than it's musical... The repeats aren't so in your face. Really good sounds for the price.
    The only thing I don't enjoy about it is that it's a clone of an expensive unit that someone took time to design but heck man I just play in my bedroom and $200 for a good delay ain't in the cards for me.

Re: $35 delay pedal, why not?

I'm sorry - but it's not boo-teek so it sucks!

Seriously - the bar is high these days for worth more than $50...
    Last edited by Aceman; 05-13-2020, 05:09 PM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I use some $30 Joyo and Behringer pedals. They work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had an Artec analog delay once, also really budget - but it did not handle hb pickup levels I had that well, so clipping.
        But if I have had SC guitar then, I would probably be ok.

Those that make copies and make shortcuts to make it cheaper - probably miss some things that original designer thought of.

Comment

My "Joyo" is a great pedal, only 50USD (90USD here in norway)

But I once bought a Behringer "digital delay"... it killed the sound so much, it was completely unusable.
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

the plastic bodied "budget" pedals are fine for those that get turned on and left on all the time
            if you are constantly turning one on and off,
            it could be a problem

I dont abuse them here at home
            my Joyo and Behringer pedals are treated with care
            just like the Boss, SD, EHX
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

From my online research the Caline pedals and their brothers (Mooer, Mosky, Joyo) are all fairly decent pedals compared to years past. I got a Mosky Golden Horse with another pedal (thrown in free) as I've started my "pedal journey" and it sounds REALLY good. I Heard the Caline Blue Sky is an excellent pedal as well. Pretty amazing what you can get for short money.
              -=The Dali
              --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Originally posted by Larioso View Post
                I had an Artec analog delay once, also really budget - but it did not handle hb pickup levels I had that well, so clipping.
                But if I have had SC guitar then, I would probably be ok.

Those that make copies and make shortcuts to make it cheaper - probably miss some things that original designer thought of.
                This one I read a lot of reviews on before buying and many claim this is a pretty faithful copy, and generally agreed it sounded good, would not have bought otherwise!

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                  the plastic bodied "budget" pedals are fine for those that get turned on and left on all the time
                  if you are constantly turning one on and off,
                  it could be a problem

I dont abuse them here at home
                  my Joyo and Behringer pedals are treated with care
                  just like the Boss, SD, EHX
                  This one seems decently built but I too take care of my pedals when I can. I footswitch, I don't stomp lol
                  Only a couple songs where I switch delay in and out for fills and solos, otherwise mostly keep it on one setting for a while

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
                    From my online research the Caline pedals and their brothers (Mooer, Mosky, Joyo) are all fairly decent pedals compared to years past. I got a Mosky Golden Horse with another pedal (thrown in free) as I've started my "pedal journey" and it sounds REALLY good. I Heard the Caline Blue Sky is an excellent pedal as well. Pretty amazing what you can get for short money.
                    I looked at the blue sky pedal and heard it's a pretty good Timmy type. Maybe I'll try it out sometime.
                    I currently use a EH east river (808 copy) into a blues driver. They balance each other out and are pretty versatile together for blues and blues rock, classic rock kinda stuff

Comment

Will recommend the Joyo "Nascar" analog delay-

had one for some time now- great pedal. Cheap. No problems with it yet.
                      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Honestly, A quality delay effect can be achieved in a 50 dollar pedal.

The programming and the IC is not generally where most the cost has been cut out of the item.

It's in labor, assembly methods, build quality where the real savings is made etc.....

If your not planning on relying on that delay to gig every night -there's not much reason (other than geopolitical ethics if you have some hang ups) not to try it.
                        Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-17-2020, 02:54 PM.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          If your not planning on relying on that delay to gig every night -there's not much reason (other than geopolitical ethics if you have some hang ups) not to try it.
                          And if you are, buy 2 of them.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            And if you are, buy 2 of them.
                            Hell, 35 bucks -maybe 3.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

What's the max delay time? I love analog delays, or early digital mimicking analog. But I love longer times...3-5 seconds.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X