banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hum/Buzz position 2, 3 and 4…grounding , shielding or wiring issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hum/Buzz position 2, 3 and 4…grounding , shielding or wiring issue?

Hi everyone, I need you expertise on this issue that I have.

Current issue: When I am selecting the guitar in position 2, 3 or 4 I get a loud background hum/hiss/buzz noise. Poistion 1 and 5 so teh humbuckers are very quiet. Here is how I got here.

Context: I have a HSH guitar type with 1 Volume, 1 Tone and 5 Way Switch and a floyd rose tremelo. I have replaced my two humbuckers with single-conductor/single wire Seymour Duncan humbuckers (the Slash’s ones). I also changed all the components (added very expensive ones):
    - 2 new Dunlop“ Super pots“ (500K audio taper)
    - 5 way Dimarzio blade switch
    - Capacitor TAD cap orange 22nf

Wiring diagram: Since I have never done this before, I used seymour duncan’s wiring diagram available on the website. The one with 1 single-coil Hum, 1 single coil, 1 single-coil HUM, 1 volume, 1 tone and 5 way blade (see attachment).

Here are chronologically the issues:

Issue 1: I have noticed that when I was strumming, there was some crackling noise. There was no hum or buzz in standby mode or when I was touching the guitar’s components.
    After checking everything (with multimeter) I thought I found the issue: I didn't ground the tone pot. But I didn’t do since there was no grounding indicated on Duncan’s wire diagram. So I decided to ground the tone pot to the volume pot via a wire.

Issue 2: After grounding the tone pot the crackling noise was gone but a new issue appeared a buzz noise which was increasing when I was touching the tone pot and the tone pot only. So after re-checking everything I have noticed that when touching the cavity (the conductive paints) of the guitar the buzz was getting louder. So I put copper tape. I didn’t put copper tape in the jack cavity.

Issue 3/current issue: So after having put copper tape in the cavity where all the components and the buzz/hiss was gone from the tone pot and my current issue appeared: loud background hiss, buzz or static noise, whatever you call it, in position 2, 3 and 4.
    I have checked all the wires for continuity with a multimeter, everything is connected and grounded from what I can tell.

I am exhausted , I had never done this, never new about pots, capacitors, shielding, etc. Youtube and seymour duncan’s website were my friend to educate myself and do this. But I have reached my limit, I don’t know what is wrong and how to fix it.

Thank you for your help!!
    Attached Files

Re: Hum/Buzz position 2, 3 and 4…grounding , shielding or wiring issue?

If you're not using a SD single in the middle (Fender for example) you may have to reverse the wires...instead of using white for lead (to the switch) and black for ground, try using black for lead.

Report back and let us know if that helped.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Some people have been known to wire the jack backwards by mixing up the tip and sleeve connections. If you do that you will get awful hum and buzz everytime you touch it.

You definitely need to ground the tone pot, and ALSO connect the ground wire to the trem cavity. I think the diagram needs an update to show those details.

Comment

Hi thank your both for your feedback. I have switched the wires as you told me to. Actually the singles coil has 3 wires...doesn’t make it easy. So I have switched the three wires.in one case there was no sound at all from the middle pickup and its combination and in the other case the buzz got louder. So I switched back and the buzz is louder then before.

The tremolo is grounded. Should the shielding be grounded too,if so how?

The tone and volume pots are grounded.

Can it come from the volume pot groundings? It is now a mess,especially with these braided wires...not easy to solder.

I am lost.I don’t get it

Comment

Quick update: when I hold the guitar and move it around the hum dispear almost completely to an acceptable level....might help you understand my mess

Comment

Have you tried plugging it in...somewhere else, like in another building? I wonder if your building's wiring is transmitting something your guitar is picking up...
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah. It's beginning to sound like typical single coil noise effected by ac currents.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Ok. I am using a korg multifeffect. I will try to connect it somewhere else.

Thanks

Comment

The humbuckers should not have noise pickup to a noticeable extent. It should be completely quiet with the selector on the neck and bridge positions.

From the title of your thread you are only getting noise in position 2,3,4. In that case the guys above are correct that its just the normal single coil noise pickup.

Comment

Does the noise get reduced if you plug directly into the amp (no pedal)?
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just have a multieffect ,I don’t have an amp to perform another test

But you were right it had something to do with the AC current or something like that. I changed just the room and the noise disappeared. Very strange phenomenon for me.

Thank you very much for all of your contributions!!! I would have start all other again with soldering. Instead, now I can enjoy the pickups.

Comment

Working...
                      X